PDA

View Full Version : ferral kittens

Elizabeth
11-01-2001, 09:43 AM
I have 4 tamed ferral kittens that are ready for adoption. They are about 10 weeks old and have been altered. I live 1-1 1/2 hours south of Buffalo. I already have 3 dogs and 4 cats and my husband doesn't want me keeping these. These guys need special people who will be extra patient and loving with them. There are 2 tortoise shell, 1 black tiger, and 1 tan tiger. Please respond here if you are interested! Thanks!

Cougie Wechsler
11-01-2001, 01:41 PM
Wish I lived in the area! I think its great that you have cared for them! Make sure these special ones go to great homes!

Elizabeth
11-01-2001, 06:34 PM
Hi Spencer-thanks for the website. I posted an ad. I found a few organizations but I don't want to put them in our SPCA, even though they are a no kill shelter. They were S/N though a subsidized program through HEART, but they couldn't take them because of no room. If worse comes to worse, my husband will have to get used to the idea of having 4 more cats. Cougie-I won't just give them to anyone. I had someone come over to look at them who wanted all four but my intuition told me no way. The woman wasn't a "warm" woman at all and their 4 year old was a little wild. Plus, they had moved here from the south and when I asked if they had any previous pets they hesitated and said their cat was "lost" right before they moved. So this told me they didn't want to take any animals on the move with them and just got rid of them. I have a feeling I'll find some fault with everyone who asks about them!!!

4 feline house
11-01-2001, 08:29 PM
Good job, Elizabeth. "Gut" feelings and intuition can go a long way when looking for a good home. I like that you rejected her because she wasn't "warm". I can't imagine anyone who would make a wonderful petmom not coming in and gushing all over a basket of kittens. If they don't, they probably aren't suitable.

Elizabeth
11-03-2001, 10:04 AM
Thanks again, Spencer. This is the first time I've dealt with feral cats. I trapped 5 of 7 adults that were forming a colony where I live (that had the kittens). They have been neutered. Two are waiting to be done because the vet said they were too sick, so I'm giving them antibiotics in their food. One let me scratch him behind his ear today. Some questions--should I tell people who are interested in adopting these kittens that they were feral? I feel I should be honest in case there is any behavioral problems down the road. Do they ever become totally like non-feral kittens? Should they be strictly indoor kittens (do ferals have a greated tendancy to want to take off and not come back)? I appreciated your advice and am glad that things worked out well with Mr Socks!

4 feline house
11-03-2001, 10:25 AM
Elizabeth, although it would only be fair to mention they are ferals, it would be extremely unlikely that any residual problems would exist. Kittens tame very easily. I fostered some that were third generation (at least) feral. I got them at approximately 6 weeks old. Two were adoptable within weeks. I was fortunate enough to know three of the four adopters, so I was able to watch them for many years. Of the three I still had track of, one was always aloof and distrusting (but of course, that can happen in perfectly tame cats, too) and the two were hopeless lap kitties! They all remembered me, too. Any time I visited my friends, all Chili and Woolly had to do was hear my voice, and they'd come running to squirm and roll in my lap, buzzing and squinting the whole time! Of the fourth, I don't think they had any problems. I explained her history to them, and let them know that I would take her back at any time for any reason, even if it was years later. I got one phone message from them a few months after they adopted her, expressing their delight.

Bless you for helping these little guys!

lizbud
11-03-2001, 07:03 PM
Elizabeth,
Just wanted to say Hello from another
Elizabeth and express my thanks for helping
rescue & find homes for these little guys!!!
I was very happy to read that the other cats in the colony had already been trapped
& nuetered. Spencer The Lion gives excellant
advice in the 'rescue area'...
As for me I have two kittys(2 yrs old) whose
Momma was feral but have made a happy
adjustment to living inside with a dog & two
other (later) adopted kittys.
Bless you for caring. Good Luck to you !!!

purrley
11-05-2001, 07:01 AM
Elizabeth - good to hear you're screening your potential adopters well. My feral tabby had 3 kittens last Feb. I immediately advertized and had 2 of the 3 promised within no time. When it came time for the kittens to go one of the people who wanted a kitten backed out and the tiger was adopted by a young family. She wanted the kitten for her little girl for Easter (should have had a red flag up). Anyway she took the kitten and before 3 days were up she told me she would have to take the kitten somewhere because it wee weed on her carpet. I told her definately she would have to take the kitten somewhere and that somewhere was back to me. Anyway to make a long story short this kitten has now been adopted by a gal here at work and has a wonderful home. After a rocky start he's doing great. Moral of the story - I didn't heed my instincts and let this young gal adopt my kitten. I didn't have a good feeling about it. Always trust your instincts.

[ November 05, 2001: Message edited by: purrley ]

4 feline house
12-01-2001, 08:04 PM
It's always so sad when you have to say goodbye - that was the hardest part of fostering for me. But I think you can rest assured that you've picked a good new mommy - she said all the right things! She sounds perfect, in fact. Love them hard tonight, but take comfort knowing they will be safe once they go bye-bye.