PDA

View Full Version : Some Sad Statistics

Pam
12-30-2001, 06:46 AM
While looking over the paper this morning I came across the following article. It started off by reporting the passing of a "cats on leashes" law which goes into effect in a local town in January. From there it goes on to cover the various shelters in my area and the statistics relative to the chance of survival for these sweeties who are turned in. Unfortunately my county has the worst euthanasia stats in the state of NJ. :( Occasionally someone will write on the Letters to the Editor page of the paper complaining of the "high" cost of adopting a shelter pet and being offended at the screening process. Fortunately these folks never take a pet home, but their fate seems not much better at the shelter according to these statistics. :( Only one of the shelters in my area is "no kill."

I just want to salute Aly and the many others who put in long days helping these animals have a chance at a happy home. I know it can take an emotional toll at times on these wonderful temporary guardians to see those whom they have cared for end up not finding a forever home. Thank you so much for your labors of love.
http://www.southjerseynews.com/issues/december/m122901f.htm

Logan
12-30-2001, 10:24 PM
Pam, I didn't have the heart to read the article yet....but AMEN to what you said about people like Aly, who open their homes to these needy animals. There are many of you, just on this board, who go way above and beyond. Butter is my only true "rescue"...but to his credit, he found me and I've had him almost one year! We will have a "celebration" of sorts on his anniversary, January 1, just because its the only day we know of to use as his birthday...

Helen has decided he will be "4". When I found him the vet estimated that he was 3-4...and we think he acts like a bad kitten most of the time!! So the younger age, he will be! LOL!! :D

Thanks everyone....Aly, Xena, Mugsy, etc who all help needy pets of all types. :)

Pam
01-01-2002, 07:46 AM
Chuck the cost for adoption is just about the same here. I think the fee is reasonable and for those who don't want to pay, then I have to wonder what kind of caretakers they would be anyway. Pets DO COST MONEY and if they are not willing to take the responsibility (financial responsibility certainly is a large part) then maybe they shouldn't adopt after all. We have Animal Friendly plates here too, but unfortunately mine is just a plain old normal one.

alexnell
01-04-2002, 09:20 PM
We get people who whine about our adoption fee too. And when we raised it a few months ago some people said it was completely unfair--their neighbor got her dog (or cat) for less, why couldn't they--it was our problem if the vets were charging more for shots and altering.

Drumroll, please...Our old fee was $50. It is now the insupportable amount of $55. :eek:

Humans! :mad:

AvaJoy
01-07-2002, 07:46 PM
I read the article and was surprised to learn that Essex county was ranked lower than Camden - gosh! Implementation of the mandatory spay/neuter program seemed to decrease their numbers . . .

The Burlington County shelter offers a reduced adoption fee for cats one month a year in the summer, and another month for dogs. I believe it was $15.00 to adopt a cat and $20.00 for a dog. Additionally, they will give a ($10.00?) rebate if you have the adopted pet fixed and produce proof. Don't hold me to these figures, but I know it was quite inexpensive . . . sure-fire way to encourage adoptions! I remember the newspaper ad and even went for a l@@k-see . . . they only hold them for I think 9 days; longer if space permits . . . I was teary-eyed reading the dates on the cages and knowing I was unable to alter their fate . . . :(

Well, let us remember all the furkids who have been put to sleep in our prayers.