PDA

View Full Version : OMG! GUESS what?!?!! *need LOTS of advice!!*

slleipnir
09-25-2004, 07:51 PM
Ok, it's probably not at ALL what you're thinking, it's actually kinda stupid but I'm so excited!!!

My dad said Kiba can stay with us at his house!! Ok, let me explain. My mom and dad are obviously not living together. At my moms I have Kiba and mom has Smitten (2 cats) and at my dads I have my 2 dogs. Dad never liked cats so he wouldn't let me have them at home (where I live). Since I got Kiba, I've basically moved to my moms till the start of the month when I moved home (and kiba is older) but now with school, it's just to far out of the way and I can't stay there. I almost have no time to go visit her either. (I use to stay over there a few nights a week to be with her if I wasn't living with my mom) but I can't even really do that.

The other day I was visiting her and she wasn't like her normal self. She wasn't snuggling or anything liek she usually does. Mom said she doesn't do that anymore. It just made me really upset. Then tonight I was over there and she came over to me and snuggled for a while and was purring and stuff :) So I think it's how my mom treats her..I don't think she gets enough attention cause my mom works all day (sometimes all day and allnight) SO, I asked my dad AGAIN if she could live here and he said YES!!!!! I honestly couldn't believe it! But I know I can give her the proper attention/care that she needs here!!

Only one problem....the dogs don't like cats, and she doesn't like dogs...Is there ANY way that this can work?? I really don't want to stress her out, but I just feel this is best for her in the long run if they can live together....I was thinking she would stay in my room with the door closed for a while so they can get use to the smells. It would have to be when I have time off school so I can spend the time on it..Anyway...anyone do this before? Kiba is almost 1 yr old...she's seen the dogs a few times but didn't like them much. Zeke never tried to hurt her, but he got really excited and didn't knwo what to do (hid his head and stuff ;))

The more I think of it, the more afraid I get. The LAST thing I want is for kiba to be hurt. I was thinking I'd have to muzzel the dogs at first just to see if they'd try to hurt her...I know it sounds mean, but I'd rather be safe...

I hope you guys don't think I'm mean for doing this..I'm still thinking about it..I just really think it would be best for her. I had no idea when I got her that things would turn out this way, it just happened. It really sucks living at 2 places and unfortunatly I don't have the money to buy a house for myself and them (I will NOT move into some crap place with no fenced yard. It wouldn't be fair to my dogs) and I know smitten doesn't like her so she owuld be happier too.

What do you think? How could I do it?

Karen
09-25-2004, 08:00 PM
I would approach it very carefully, maybe leave Kiba shut in your room (with a litter box, and water etc. of course) while you are at school or away from home. But they may get used to each other after a while, and Kiba sounds like she'd be happier with you than not with you!

aly
09-25-2004, 08:05 PM
First of all, I would let her be in your room away from the dogs (like you said) for a couple weeks before you try anything with the dogs. When Kiba is used to her new surroundings, you can try putting her in a crate and then letting the dogs check out the crate and see what they do. You said Zeke hasn't tried to hurt her, but would Josie? Do either of them have a high prey drive?

I have a dog/cat mixed household and everything goes smoothly. Sometimes I'll get a cat who hates dogs, but after spending a few days around my dogs, they are fine. I'm not too worried about the cats who don't like dogs because they usually just steer clear anyway. I worry more about the dogs who don't like cats because they're obviously much bigger and could do harm.

Just use extreme caution and introduce them several times with the dogs on leash before you think about letting them off. Also keeping Kiba in the crate for the first several times is a good idea too. Based on their reactions, you can decide what your next step will be a lot easier.

Also, maybe you could bring Josie and Zeke to your mom's and see how they react to the cats there? That will probably help your decision on what to do.

slleipnir
09-25-2004, 08:31 PM
Trust me, I'd bemore then carefull. If I'm only one thing, then it's over paranoid. Dad often tells me I shouldn't be that way and should just let things happen but I feel like I need to worry so I can make sure nothing bad happens.

Anyway, I would never let kiba out near the dogs unless I was positive they wouldn't hurt her. I agree with you Aly, I'm not worried about her not liking them, but I'm worried about them.

I have no idea what their prey drive is like? The closest they've ever gotten to a cat was a few feet away. They seem like they want to play..I know my old dog HATED cats and if he got a hold of one he would attack it...neither of them seem like they want to hurt cats but I really don't know. Kiba is a strong cat and she is adventurous. I don't think it would be much of a problem stress wise so long as the dogs don't hurt her...

I guess all I can do is try, and if it doesn't work then atleast I know I tried..I just think it would be the best ever to have the 3 most important things with me. Plus I know the 3 most important things would be happy. That makes me happy :)

boscibo
09-25-2004, 09:02 PM
Great news!

I also have a mixed dog/cat household and agree with the introduce very slowly advice. When I got Hanna I was a bit overprotective (she was my first kitten in ten years). My dogs were used to cats, but had never dealt with a hyperactive kitten. I blocked off half the house (swinging half doors that the cats could get under but the dogs couldn't), I felt it was important to have a safe area for the cats so if they did feel threatened or afraid of the dogs they could get to someplace the dogs couldn't go.

One rule in our house is - dogs are not allowed to chase the cats, and they are not allowed to growl at them (unless a cat gets way to close to the dogs' face, then a warning growl is allowed). One snap could kill a cat so no agression towards them is allowed.

Give Kiba a place to escape to if she needs it, and don't be upset if they don't become friends. My cats and dogs all get along great, they sniff noses and don't get too upset with each other, but they don't cuddle or sleep together like I see some people's cats and dogs do.

One thing Hanna does ocasionally that scares me is she sneaks up on sleeping dogs and sniffs them. I try and discourage that, Gandy can be a bit grumpy when he gets woken up.

Just introduce them slowly and everything will be fine. I wouldn't leave them alone together for awhile, make sure there is not agression or chasing before you do anything like that.

catmandu
09-26-2004, 12:51 PM
Dogs,and Catys,can learn,to get along,but carefully! Its just,that with some Breeds,anything,that runs is prey!And Cats,when a Dog lunges,thinks that it isuner attack! Good Luck,and take things,Slowly!