PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again...

aly
06-20-2001, 09:27 AM
Well guys.. you were right in that I was going to get another foster kitten very soon after Julius got adopted... Except now I'm going to have SIX of them http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif There actually may even be more. I'm not sure. They are ferals living by my aunt's house. I'll be going to Houston this weekend to pick them up. I wrote several feral rescues for help but the ones that wrote me back criticized me for asking other people to do "my" work. I doubt I'll be able to take and tame the two adult cats but I'll take all the kittens and confine them to my bathroom for taming.

They are all black and I think they are still pretty young. Sooo if any of you Texans need a little kitty... http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Logan
06-20-2001, 11:45 AM
Alyson, I am appalled that the rescue people too that attitude with you! And I continue to be amazed with folks like you and Chuck, who do so much for these needy babies. You may have read my recent post about my friend in Florida, who has brought in six feral kittens and a mama cat. The lady who adopted the first two has her own community on MSN. She is writing a daily journal about their introduction into her home, where she has one female cat already. It would be good reading if any of you have time to check it out. Just go to the link I'm attaching and read "Their Journal". It is precious.
http://communities.msn.com/TheAdventuresOfRunner&naventryid=170

Pam
06-20-2001, 07:51 PM
Oh Aly....It's time for Reece and Shiloh to roll out the welcome mat again! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif I knew it wouldn't belong before you took another homeless kitty in. Just didn't think it would be 6! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif I am wondering if maybe one of these little kittens might be a "keeper." Guess we'll have to wait and see! Keep us posted and of course we need pictures!

Jasper's Mom
06-20-2001, 08:29 PM
You are so sweet to take in so many new kittens again. Shame on those groups who turned you down. What are they there for? Is there a trap, neuter and return program for those adult ferals. Otherwise, soon you'll have another bunch to raise.

Good luck with your babies and keep us posted. Any day now, if they catch them, I'll have two new kittens to tame again. Same place my Eli came from. Hard work, but great fun, right?

aly
06-20-2001, 08:33 PM
Hmm, after reading about Jasper and Eli's meeting, maybe Shiloh could also get used to a feline sibling. I wish Julius was still here. I miss him so much.

I am so disgusted with some people at these feral rescues right now. The letter I wrote to them detailed the information about the cats and I said I would do any transport and my aunt and I would fund it all. I am very willing to do what it takes to help these kitties. I did mention that I don't think I have the resources to have them in my apartment for too terribly long though. This set them off and they actually told me I had plenty of time, room, and money. I also told them my aunt could not keep them because she has NO experience and is NOT an animal person. She doesn't even pet or touch my babies. I think the only reason she told me about these cats is so she can get them out of there so they don't kill the birds. (She's a bird-watcher). Anyway, she has trapped 3 of the kittens and the mom so far and had them spayed and that was VERY NICE of her. The rescue person that wrote me back told me that in fact my aunt could keep them and she doesn't need experience. Well if she won't even touch my poodle, I don't see how she'll come close to even wanting to tame a feral, hissing cat.

I am a very easy person to work with because I am willing to do anything within my power and even spend money I don't have on these cats. I don't understand why some people make this so difficult. We're all in this to help the animals and they should try to be civil to me and focus on the big picture here! Grrr!

On a brighter note, I found a great group in Austin who will probably help. They haven't answered yet but from the looks of their webpage, I am sure they will assist me in at least finding homes after I tame the cats. Someone also referred me to two women who should be able to help some.

Thanks for the links Spencer. I'll go check out that alley cat site since I don't think I have been to that one yet. (My nickname when I was growing up was Aly Cat http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif )

4 feline house
06-23-2001, 03:03 PM
Aly, this is NOTHING against you, this is just the other point of view:

First of all, there are generally four types of "aninal rescue" groups. There are the public animal control agencies, which are paid by tax dollars and whose first priority is the safety of its citizens. They do no rescuing at all because of severe budget restraints, and any animals that are not reunited with their owners or rehomed within a set period are euthanized. Hurt or sick animals are also generally euthanized immediately unless the owner can very easily be found by way of identification found on the pet. They have to operate in this manner not because they are "bad" or "evil" but becuase the citizens do not practice responsible pet ownership and they are left to clean up the mess with a tiny budget.

Then there are the national, or nationally sponsored, or nationally known organizations such as the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and the Humane Society. They often contract with smaller municipalities to handle animal control, and therefore also perform the same functions. Also, most people seem to think that city animal control and the SPCA or HS are the same thing. They are often the cruelty investigation authority for a region. They may get tax money if they contract for these services, but they also get large donations from pet lovers and generate income through adoption fees and veterinary services charged to new owners. Although their budgets are not as stretched as municipal agencies, there are still far more people who think spaying a cat is too much trouble than those who are willing to open their wallets or donate their time. Therefore, most of their animals (for the Dallas SPCA the rate is 75%) are still euthanized. Even this costs money and takes time. They operate this way not becuase they are "bad", "heartless", or "lack judgement" but becuase there is simply not nearly enough money or helping hands to do all the work.

Then there are the smaller, no kill shelters who operate much like the SPCA or HS, such as North Shore Animal League or Operation Kindness, but who must limit the number of animals they accept. If the animal cannot be rehabilitated and adopted, it is refused. This is the only way they can give a fighting chance to animals who would once again make loving pets for someone. They must do this, not becuase they are "evil" or "disgusting", but becuase for every cage they have, their are literally thousands of animals that need that cage, and they have to make the best use of their limited resources and volunteers' time by operating efficiently, and this means not accepting animals that will be too big a draw on their limited resources.

Then there are the rescue groups that are usually a few friends who get together out of a love of cats, dogs, or certain breeds, and try to do what little they can to make a difference. They get no money from anybody, their operations are paid for by their paychecks. There are no shelters, the only homes for the animlas they take are their bathrooms, basements, and back yards. There are no volunteers, except maybe their kids and spouses who get pressed into service when a litter box needs changing or a hole in the fence needs mending. They are already overwhelmed from the animals they come across on their own and realize that if they take any more they are in danger of eviction, city code violation, and putting the very animals they are taking care of at risk by stressing them with overcrowded conditions, if they are not already in those positions. They cannot take anymore, not becuase they "have an attitude" but becuase they realistically realize all cannot be saved but are already doing more than their share.

It is my guess that most or all of the organizations you have contacted are in the last category. This may explain why you got the reaction you did. They, too, have limited space, not becuase they already have two cats, but becuase they already have two cats, plus are fostering four more and have three foster dogs in the back yard. They, too, have a limited budget but have figured out that Sam's sells big bags of litter really cheap. They, too, only live in an apartment but luckily the landlord doesn't come around too often. Then they get a call from someone trying to give them six more cats becuase after all, she's already got two....well, yeah, they get an attitude. Becuase they ARE doing all it takes to help these little helpless guys. They have no time, room, or money, either, yet they do it anyway. I know, becuase for many years I was in that last category, as were many of my friends and some of my family. The only reason I don't do it now is becuase on top of everything else I have three chronic, life shortening diseases and simply don't have the stamina I used to, and therefore have too uncertain a future to take on the responsibility of another needy creature. I realize that if I had a house full of fosters and something happened to me, they would likely be euthanized and then I would have accomplished nothing. So now I just donate what little money I have, along with household items that the shelters have use of, either in pet care or for fundraising rummage sales.

And, it's not the resuce groups that are the "bad" people, the "disgusting" people, the people who "lack judgement", the people that can't be "understood". It's the people who allow their cats to roam unneutered that you need to be venting at.

Thanks for letting me play devil's advocate. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

As far as the adult cats, all they need are TNR. The kittens are tamable. And, just like with Julius, if you need another helping hand I have two bathrooms and a laundry room.........

[This message has been edited by 4 feline house (edited June 23, 2001).]

aly
06-23-2001, 05:22 PM
Thanks for offering to help Leah. I really appreciate it. I think for now everything is under control, well as under control as it can be with 3 screaming kittens in my bathroom. I will get the other 3 probably tomorrow. They were harder to trap.

As far as the rescues I contacted, I just feel they could have been much more civil with me. I've been working with shelters and rescues for awhile now so I understand where they are coming from. I don't want to overwhelm them with animals or make them do all the work. I was basically willing to do anything with just a little help. I don't think it would have been too hard for them to help me out in just finding them homes. It is much harder for someone independantly rescuing to find homes than it is for a group.

Also, I really hate to stress Shiloh out and make her unhappy. It seems everytime a cat comes to stay, she gets really upset. Being in school fulltime then running to the shelter every chance I get, Shiloh and Reece already aren't getting enough attention. Thats why I was hesitant to tame 6 kittens, which would take away even more time.

I wasn't upset with the rescue groups for not helping so much as I was extremely upset at their attitude towards me. I didn't get any encouragement or anything. One person actually typed in all caps, yelling at me for not doing things myself... even after I specifically said I'd do anything. Anyway, there is a woman in Austin and one in Houston helping me out. The one is Houston is holding the other 3 kittens until tomorrow. She has leukemia so can't tame them herself. The one in Austin will help me in finding homes and she is going to find a place to release the two adult cats.

aly
06-24-2001, 06:30 PM
Hey kitties! This is insane but I've had some progress with one of the kittens already. Its the smallest one, a female. I knew she'd be the easiest to tame within the first 5 minutes I spent with them.

Ohhh!!! Hahah I just read what I wrote and saw I called you guys kitties! Opps, I meant to say "Hey guys", hehe. You can tell what's on my mind.

Anyway, the kitten who I've had progress with I've named Shadowe. (I had to add an 'e' on the end to make it a little less of a common name http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif ) I named her that because she follows me where ever I go in the bathroom, but at a safe distance. I still can't touch her yet but she was just purring when I went to see them! The others still hate me but I think I will be able to pet Shadowe before tomorrow http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by aly (edited June 24, 2001).]