PDA

View Full Version : *starts crying*

wabbitwuver
09-25-2004, 10:28 AM
Lastnight my cousins shot a bear! Then today everyone went to see it(not me!). How could they what a sin! POOR bear! My sister said he was so cute and he had blood running out of his little nose and he bit down on his tongue when he got shot. I'm glad I didn't go see him I woulda puked. :( :( :( :( :(

flamepony12
09-25-2004, 10:34 AM
:( :eek: :(

pitc9
09-25-2004, 10:42 AM
I don't understand how people can shoot animals for fun.

How can anyone call that a "Sport"

I think those people need to be shot!

wabbitwuver
09-25-2004, 11:13 AM
Yeah! They shoot deer,moose,bear and RABBIT:( :( :( :( My uncle says the wild ones are ugly but they are ADORABLE! How could he be so mean! Then he always jokes about cooking up Spice since she is so plump! Spice hates him, once he was like "hold her up by the hind legs I want to see how long she is" but he was joking but it still was SO mean....my poor Spoicley!

Desert Arabian
09-25-2004, 02:59 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: It's not a sin. I am a hunter too- I eat what I kill though. I am not a sport hunter and never would even consider it. So I'm going to hell for that!? Oh well- I'll have a lot of company down there at least.

BUT...it is rude how they joke about your rabbit...that would upset me too!

wabbitwuver
09-25-2004, 03:01 PM
They eat it. EWW once I tryed deer steak it was so bloody and thick and gross YUCK! There actually going to eat the bear!EWW! I didn't think you could eat bear!
I hope you don't hunt rabbit!:eek:

Desert Arabian
09-25-2004, 03:05 PM
Bear is very good! So is deer- when you cook it right and based on the "bloody and thick" statement I would say it wasn't. I am going bear hunting too but it takes 4 years to get a permit though, so it will take a while. I used to hunt rabbit.

Wild game meat is much healthier for you than "domestic" meat like chicken, beef, pork, etc- that is mainly why I like to eat it- and it tastes good plain and simple. :/ I know it offends some, but hey, I can't please everyone, I try not to offend.

Uabassoon
09-25-2004, 03:11 PM
I grew up with a family that hunted, when I was growing up I'd go hunting with my dad all the time, we mainly hunted deer, rabbit and doves. We always ate everything we killed. I see nothing wrong with it, it's no different than going to the grocery store and buying your meat all prepared and wrapped in saran wrap.

Desert Arabian
09-25-2004, 03:13 PM
Amen, and they don't have to go through the torture of the slaugther house! That's depressing!

wabbitwuver
09-25-2004, 03:17 PM
I don't like the fact of hunting and eating rabbit. Rabbits are extra smart creatures. If they get shot and not killed fully I heard they scream and scream!:(:(:(:(:( I don't even like cow steak let alone bear and deer, it's not that I'm a vegetarian or anything but it just tastes so gross and makes me gag, I guess I don't like the texture. I would NEVER try rabbit meat ever! I would feel like a traiter! I <3 rabbits wild & domestic!

Desert Arabian
09-25-2004, 03:29 PM
No, they do not scream and to tell you the truth it does not take much to kill a rabbit. :/

wabbitwuver
09-25-2004, 03:34 PM
sad:( I sure know that, it only took about 5 seconds for Honey to kill Silky, plus she was not even 6 weeks old:(:(:(:(

Uabassoon
09-25-2004, 03:35 PM
But cows are smart and friendly too so are pigs, actually pigs are very intelligent. So I don't see how eating a hamburger or a hotdog is much different than eating a rabbit.

wabbitwuver
09-25-2004, 03:35 PM
If you where a Rabbit Lover you'd know.

popcornbird
09-25-2004, 03:43 PM
They *eat* the bear?? :eek: Wow.......I could never imagine anyone eating a bear. I just don't see them as animals one would *eat*. :o I wouldn't ever eat a carnivore....not bears, not lions, not dogs, not cats. I just don't see these animals as food. :(

wabbitwuver
09-25-2004, 03:44 PM
Me either! I don't see rabbits as food either, I see them as friends!

popcornbird
09-25-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by wabbitwuver
Me either! I don't see rabbits as food either, I see them as friends!

Well a lot of people eat rabbits. I don't, and personally never would, but I don't find it strange to eat rabbit meat. I *love* goats and would love to have one as a pet. I still eat goat meat. I love sheep. I still eat sheep meat. I wouldn't eat a pet one, or even THINK of eating a pet one, but I do eat the meat of goats, sheep, even chickens, and I used to have 8 chicks as pets...all that I loved very much. I would NEVER have eaten them, but I still eat chicken.

A bear is a carnivore though.....an animal much bigger/stronger than us. I, personally, can't imagine eating something like that. :o Just my opinion.

wabbitwuver
09-25-2004, 03:50 PM
My cousins have a goat named Spotty....hehe

Uabassoon
09-25-2004, 03:51 PM
If you where a Rabbit Lover you'd know.

I am a rabbit lover, and I love cows and pigs. Which is why I don't eat them anymore. I only eat chicken and fish now. I love cows but you eat them, so how is that different than you loving rabbits and someone else eating them. To me it's all the same, it's a beautiful and intelligent animal. If someone chooses to eat them, then it's their choice. But I have more respect for a person that spends their entire day hunting for their food and eating an animal that at least lived a happy life, then someone going to McDonalds and not realizing that the poor cow lived a horrible life crammed into a tiny pen and slaughtered in a horrible way.

I'm not saying don't eat cows or pigs or anything like that, I just don't see how one is worse than the other.

wabbitwuver
09-25-2004, 03:54 PM
I'm not against the people I'm just saying I wouldn't do it. I like eating fish and Chicken Nuggets,lol. That's baout it for meat for me! There is this little river type thing and there where umm...I dunno what kind of fish but me and a few friends and my sisters went and caught some,brought them home and barbecued them up, they where tasty!lol! That was a few years ago....except I kinda felt bad hitting their little heads on the cement thing around the tunnel and killing them:(

Desert Arabian
09-25-2004, 03:58 PM
PCB, um...bears are not carnivores, they are omnivores. They eat more non-meat items than they do meat. Just about all animals are bigger than us and all animals are stronger than us- so the bear is not much different.

chrissycat21
09-25-2004, 05:46 PM
I honestly hate hunting period. I think as long as you eat the game (like YLL) its not as bad, but it is still taking an animal's life. I'm not saying that hunters are 'bad guys' or anything. Its just not something that I would never do.

I might have a different view on this since I'm a vegetarian and I might just feel differently about hunting then people who eat meat.

I just wanted to tell you what I thought on that subject..I by no means want to start a fight or upset anyone. I was just replying with my thoughts on the topic.

wabbitwuver
09-25-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by chrissycat21
I honestly hate hunting period. I think as long as you eat the game (like YLL) its not as bad, but it is still taking an animal's life. I'm not saying that hunters are 'bad guys' or anything. Its just not something that I would ever do.

EXACTLY! Thank you!:D

popcornbird
09-25-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
PCB, um...bears are not carnivores, they are omnivores. They eat more non-meat items than they do meat. Just about all animals are bigger than us and all animals are stronger than us- so the bear is not much different.

I know, but what I meant by carnivore is that I wouldn't eat any animal that eats meat period. I, personally, do not see such animals as animals used for food. I know others might feel differently, but for me, bears, or any other animal that eats meat, whether carnivore or omnivore, is not food. Again this is my opinion, regarding what *I* would eat/not eat. I never even knew people still eat bears. :o There are ofcourse, some herbivores that I wouldn't eat either.

Soledad
09-25-2004, 08:45 PM
Bears mostly eat vegetables and honey. They also eat very small amounts of fish and insects. They're not carnivorous like, say, mountain lions.

Still, the thought of eating a bear is just...weird. Not within my realm of experience.

I think YLL has proven herself to be a responsible hunter. Anyone who eats meat and wears leather is a hypocrite to condemn hunters. At least they have the courage to face what it takes to get the meat on your plate. I know I don't have that within me, and I rely on those who can to do it for me. Nothing noble about that!

sammy101
09-25-2004, 10:00 PM
well,i dont agree with Hunting bears and deer,etc

one of my best friends lives in a small town in B.C,Canada.and there are alot of moose,bears,wolves,deer,etc there.so lots of people hunt there.They would hunt bears,deer and moose,but they ate it,so like they didnt waste it or anything,i know that she would hunt animals for fun,they do like bear and deer meat.

i could never hunt myself,its too sad to watch them die:(

CathyBogart
09-26-2004, 12:25 AM
I see nothing wrong with hunting an animal if you use the meat. What I see as wrong is the conditions that our domestic meat animals live in every day of their short miserable lives.

Jods
09-26-2004, 08:25 AM
I know a lot of ppl who hunt, I personally couldn't do it... They had bear meat once I wouldn't try it as well as deer wouldn't try that either... I dunno though.... I couldn't go see they're kills either they had pictures of the animals hanging from trees and I just about died.... Why would anyone want a picture of that? (my opinion) Where I live theres this park called Presquile (sp) anyways deer keep breeding so much there there was ssooooooooo many you should have seen them and hunters went into the park (usually no one can hunt there) to kill a whole bunch... there was carcasses everywhere it was so sad pics of dead babies and everything I dunno why they just didn't relocate some of them.... Oh well I just hate the thoughts of it:(

Karen
09-26-2004, 08:40 AM
We, humanity, have removed the natural predators of deer. This being the case, if contraceptive measures are not taken (a new alternative), the deer breed until there are too many deer for the land to support in the way of food. If the hunters didn't come in, you would have seen a sadder, slower death for many of the deer - starvation.

When I was a kid, I remember driving through wetsren upstate NY one time in the winter, and there were gaunt deer trying to graze through the snow by the side of the interstate. And here and there were dead deer, obviously starved, that had just collapsed on the hillside and died. It is an awful, awful thing, trust me. Dad explained to me then that we killed or drove out wolves, coyotes and other natural predators that would have kept the population better in check, so it is now our responsibility to do it ourselves if we do not want to see starving, dying deer.

wabbitwuver
09-26-2004, 12:34 PM
Yes Karen, I agree. That is what my parents told me. They said it is better for only few to die than all starve. And that is true.

And I also agree with sammy101. I myself wouldn't be able to do it, the thought of it just being shot and dieing by myself, it doesn't sound me.

I don't think it is cruel to hunt but it just makes me sad.

Glacier
09-26-2004, 01:20 PM
My husband is a hunter and an animal lover--you can be both. My husband is also a First Nations man and hunts in many ways in keeping with that tradition. He even uses a bow and arrow sometimes (it's a special permit hunt up here to use that method). He won't take a bear because according to his medicine man he has a bear spirit so for him to kill a bear is like killing his brother. He would if the bear was about to kill him, but he never goes out looking for them. He does attract bears which can be a bit concerning when we go hiking together! :eek:

We use absolutely everything from the animals. The only thing that gets left behind is the guts, cuz nothing can eat those. We have friends who are native elders and they always want the liver, kidneys and the nose! My father in law is a carver and he takes the antlers. Anything that isn't fit for humans to eat is fed to the dogs. You want to see a happy husky--give him a moose leg bone! We have other friends who take the hides and turn them into beautiful leather. I'd love to learn how to do that, but it's a ton of work!

I could not feed my family if he didn't hunt. I couldn't feed my dogs if other people didn't hunt--the local wild game butcher gives mushers all his scraps and bones. My dogs are first on his list!

Twisterdog
09-26-2004, 02:17 PM
I find people who criticise hunters and hunting, while an hour before they ate a hamburger or a piece of chicken, to be hypocrites of the worse kind.

Unless you are a complete vegetarian, you have absolutely NO room to criticise ANYone who kills an animal to eat it. If you eat meat, you are absolutely responsible for that animal's death. It makes not one bit of difference if you pulled the bow string or the trigger yourself, or if you went through the drive-thru at Burger King.

I do not like sport hunters, who kill an animal simply for the thrill of killing, or for the antlers. Horrid people.

But ANY one of us who eats meat is either a hunter themselves, or are simply paying a premium for food that someone else killed for them. Same thing.

At least, IMO, a wild animal has a normal, decent life before it is shot and killed. It roams free, it lives naturally with those of it's kind, it raises it's young, etc. An animal in a slaughterhouse has NO life whatsoever, only long months or years of torture before an often brutal death. If you are truly concerned about where your food comes from and how that animal "lived" before you ate it, do some research. You will appalled and sickened, and have a much greater respect for the individual hunter then.

My husband is a hunter and an animal lover--you can be both. My husband is also a First Nations man and hunts in many ways in keeping with that tradition. He even uses a bow and arrow sometimes (it's a special permit hunt up here to use that method). He won't take a bear because according to his medicine man he has a bear spirit so for him to kill a bear is like killing his brother.

OMG, Glacier .... you are living my dream. Do you want a roommate?? Better yet, does your hubby have a single brother? ;)

Tonya
09-26-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
I find people who criticise hunters and hunting, while an hour before they ate a hamburger or a piece of chicken, to be hypocrites of the worse kind.

Unless you are a complete vegetarian, you have absolutely NO room to criticise ANYone who kills an animal to eat it. If you eat meat, you are absolutely responsible for that animal's death. It makes not one bit of difference if you pulled the bow string or the trigger yourself, or if you went through the drive-thru at Burger King.

I do not like sport hunters, who kill an animal simply for the thrill of killing, or for the antlers. Horrid people.

But ANY one of us who eats meat is either a hunter themselves, or are simply paying a premium for food that someone else killed for them. Same thing.

At least, IMO, a wild animal has a normal, decent life before it is shot and killed. It roams free, it lives naturally with those of it's kind, it raises it's young, etc. An animal in a slaughterhouse has NO life whatsoever, only long months or years of torture before an often brutal death. If you are truly concerned about where your food comes from and how that animal "lived" before you ate it, do some research. You will appalled and sickened, and have a much greater respect for the individual hunter then.

I agree 100%.

CathyBogart
09-26-2004, 02:55 PM

I'm also in complete agreement!

Glacier
09-26-2004, 03:08 PM

OMG, Glacier .... you are living my dream. Do you want a roommate?? Better yet, does your hubby have a single brother? ;)

Unfortunately he is an only child. He does have some single buddies with similar philosophies though and his dad is single. He's 60, but he looks much younger. ;)

Jods
09-26-2004, 05:21 PM
The hunters I was talking about in the park went about it the wrong way though they have since been charged... I'm not saying anything bad about hunters I'm just saying I couldn't do it I'm not saying they're wrong to do it either... Everyone has different opinions...

wabbitwuver
09-26-2004, 05:35 PM
LOL! this has gotten a bit off topic;)

Corinna
09-26-2004, 06:58 PM
I agree with twister and Glacier . We have seen too many starved deer here.
We eat bear and mtn. lion there is nothing wrong with it. and yes irt is better for you than commercailly raised meat.

chrissycat21
09-26-2004, 07:53 PM
I agree with both Twister and Glacier, too. Though I still think it is wrong to kill any animal for food, as long as you use every part and are not just doing it for sport that makes it a little better. Like twister said, atleast they lived in the wild and not in some dump at a factory farm.

I used to know someone who's dad hunted for sport. All he wanted were the dear head or antlers. He threw the rest in the garbage. Ick. Thats really wrong!

wolfie
09-26-2004, 09:33 PM
That's just awful! :(

...I'm a vegetarian, so you can tell how I feel about hunting.

Twisterdog
09-26-2004, 11:54 PM
LOL! this has gotten a bit off topic;)

No, I don't think it is off-topic whatsoever. You posted a thread stating that you think it is a "sin" to hunt a bear. All the responses in this thread have been directly related to hunting. Why do you think that is off-topic?

Off-topic? Or just not in agreement with you? Hmmmm......

Well, ok .... so my hitting-up on Glacier's 60 year old father-in-law probably wasn't on-topic .... ;)

DJFyrewolf36
09-27-2004, 10:40 AM
Given the choice, I would much rather hunt my own food than buy it. But, with the restraints of "civilization" its pretty much imposible.

Why do people have to get into this arguement? Animals hunt animals for survival, are preditors evil?

CathyBogart
09-27-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by DJFyrewolf36
Animals hunt animals for survival, are preditors evil?

You might think so, with some if the reactions I get when people find out that I'm a snake lover. :mad:

DJFyrewolf36
09-27-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by WolfChan
You might think so, with some if the reactions I get when people find out that I'm a snake lover. :mad:

Yeah, no kidding! I posted a thread in Pet General (as Im sure you recall) asking for some feeding advice for Salazar (my oh so cute ball python :D) and you'd think I was some sort of evil maniac! Sheesh. My snake is not evil for eating mice, thank you and Im not evil for feeding him the closest aproximation to his native diet.

A bit off topic, sorry.

CathyBogart
09-27-2004, 11:01 AM
Actually, feeding him gerbils or hamsters would be the absolute closest approximation of his wild diet.....wonder how the fuzzy-lovers would react to hearing that! ;) (NOT to say that I don't adore my fuzzies as well!)

My manager is out hunting right now...it was his birthday gift to himself....and he's going to have a venison cook-out when he gets back as his birthday party. I certainly don't think any less of him....

DJFyrewolf36
09-27-2004, 11:08 AM
I WOULD feed him girbils but trying to find anyone that sells baby gerbils for feed is imposible. What makes one rodent a food item and another too cute to eat? I honestly want to know

CathyBogart
09-27-2004, 11:17 AM
Good question, I've never understood. *Cuddles her ratty*

DJFyrewolf36
09-27-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by WolfChan
Good question, I've never understood. *Cuddles her ratty*

I think Ill go home and cuddle my ratty too :D

K9soul
09-27-2004, 02:01 PM
Eating bear is actually not as exotic as you might think. I have not eaten it myself, nor do I have a real desire to, but I have heard and read how good the meat is. Bears actually rarely hunt and eat meat other than fish, they eat a lot of vegetation and things like grubs and insects I believe too.

Personally I see nothing wrong with hunting for the purpose of eating (as long as the species is not in danger or protected), and nothing wrong with providing the proper food for pets whatever that may be. When we get a pet, it becomes our responsibility to feed it a balanced and nutritional diet for its species. That is why I strongly disagree with "vegetarian" dog and cat foods, it is (this is my opinion) completely unnatural and has to have a lot of synthetic ingredients and vitamins to make up for what they are losing out on in animal fat and protein. Even people who choose to be vegetarians should take special supplements to artificially add to their body the nutrients they miss out on from meats, or a lot of health problems can arise, especially if they are vegetarian to the extreme of not taking in any egg or dairy products as well. If someone makes a personal choice to be vegetarian because they just don't want to eat meat for whatever personal reasons I have no problem with that. I only have a problem if they start judging me because I choose to eat meat.

Different people and different cultures eat different meats. As horrifying as we might find it that some people eat dogs and cats, there are some cultures just as horrified that we eat beef, their cattle are sacred creatures to them. I think it's best to just respect other cultures and peoples' differences without making judgements while sticking to what you feel is best for yourself personally.

All that said, hunting for pure sport (without using the meat) or hunting only for a trophy is sickening to me, as I am sure it is for any true animal lover.

pitc9
09-27-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by K9soul

All that said, hunting for pure sport (without using the meat) or hunting only for a trophy is sickening to me, as I am sure it is for any true animal lover.

I agree!!

(I never knew people ate bears!!)

If someone can only feed their family by hunting, then I understand.

I don't eat meat very often, I don't wear leather... have leather shoes....etc...
I am not a vegan, vegetarian... anything like that.

I just don't like to see animals killed for "fun" :(

Twisterdog
09-28-2004, 09:01 PM
Eating bear is actually not as exotic as you might think. I have not eaten it myself, nor do I have a real desire to, but I have heard and read how good the meat is. Bears actually rarely hunt and eat meat other than fish, they eat a lot of vegetation and things like grubs and insects I believe too.

Actually, IMO, bear is pretty nasty meat, greasy and stringy. I'm not a huge fan of wild meat, anyway, but bear is definately the worst I've eaten. Or .... maybe my mom just didn't know how to cook it?

Desert Arabian
09-28-2004, 10:56 PM
Sounds like it wasn't cooked right. I have never eaten greasy stringy meat. I am a very fussy picky eater, believe it or not, and I would *NEVER* eat anything gross like that. The bear I had was very good- tender, juicy, seasoned with some spice I can't remember- it was very good. It was a lot like a regular steak except it was bear and had that "wild" taste to it. Bear jerky is W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L!