PDA

View Full Version : Have you been pulled over for speeding?

teenster3
09-25-2004, 10:20 AM
I've gotten a few speeding tickets in my life!
Last year I got 2 within a month of each other....argh!:mad:
I've seen tons of people on my way to work (on I-90) getting pulled over for speeding.
Now I know that you are actually breaking the law when you speed but COME ON!
I had an argument over this at work with another woman.
She says that I could kill someone by driving that fast or cause an accident. But, don't most accidents happen when you're either not paying attention....radio, cell phone, eating, etc. or driving under the influence?
I'm not saying that I'm right by driving fast but I don't know many people who haven't been speeding at least once or twice in their lives!
I JUST HATE IT....when the police set out speed traps.....don't they have anything better to do?!
AGH.....I'll probably get bashed for this but it's how I feel!!!
Tina

wabbitwuver
09-25-2004, 10:29 AM
No I haven't because I don't drive yet:p

slleipnir
09-25-2004, 10:31 AM
No, I haven't yet....:X

K9soul
09-25-2004, 10:52 AM
Fortunately I haven't been, but that's not to say I have never sped :p. I used to push it when I was doing the 5-hour drive from college to home during holidays, but most the time when I drive now I just stay within 5-10 miles of the limit.

trayi52
09-25-2004, 10:56 AM
I have got a few speeding tickets in my life time. It has been a long time though.

Willie:D

jazzcat
09-25-2004, 10:58 AM
I've gotten two and they were both while I was in college 15 years ago.

pitc9
09-25-2004, 11:02 AM
HA HA HA HAAAAA HA HAAAAA HAAA.....
*falls off chair laughing*
Ha ha haaaa ...... Whew... that was a good one!
LOL

Yeah.... a few times... about 9 or 10.
That's why I sold my Camaro!!! Since I sold it... I've had Zero tickets!!! The most expensive one cost me $215 (92 in a 60) :o

I haven't had one in almost 2 years.

Once my hubby was following me, and we both were speeding, passed a cop, (who was waiting to catch people speeding) and we BOTH got pulled over and BOTH got speeding tickets!

I've also gotten busted by the police airplane! They said I was going 85 in a 60!! :o

boscibo
09-25-2004, 11:04 AM
My goodness, yes! I got three tickets when I was younger, two of them in the same summer when I was 19 (I had a Trans Am - it was easy to go fast). I got another when I was 25 and then I went 14 years before I got my latest one this summer (80 in a 65...the fine was $181). :rolleyes:

I have slowed down now, and have found it has a positive effect. I used to drive 80 MPH down and back to school. The road is a four-lane and isn't usually terribly busy. I used to do 80 and get so angry at slower drivers or people who camped out in the left lane. Now I get on the freeway and set my cruise control to 68-69 and take it easy on the way to school (or back home). I have found that I am much more relaxed and not angry when I arrive at my destination. I only leave a few minutes earlier, so speeding to school or home doesn't really save much time.

I believe there is a correlation between speeders and road rage. Speeders spend so much time jockeying for position, and get angry when other drivers don't move over and get out of their way. So that is my theory - slow down, mellow out, and you'll still make it on time.

Samantha Puppy
09-25-2004, 11:18 AM
Yes, I have. My first was 4 months after I got my license. It was issued to me - no joke - by Officer Speed.

The last one I got was December 2000. Damn, has it been that long? Anyway, yeah... That was in Virginia and the cop that pulled me over kept calling me "son".

RubyMutt
09-25-2004, 01:28 PM
Yes, but only once so far :o :D

catnapper
09-25-2004, 01:43 PM
Yup, when I first got my car, it drove a lot smoother than my old car, so I was driving 85 MPH without having a clue I was going that fast (my old car might have fallen apart at that speed! :eek: :D ) My daughter was in the car at the time and sat there giggling "oooohhh, daddy's gonna kill yooouuuu!" and no sooner did the cop walk away after handing me a $200 ticket was she on the cell phone with him ratting me out. Hubby called me "Speed Racer" every chance he got until a week later, he got pulled over speeding in a 25MPH zone and his ticket was bigger than mine. It was a very expensive month! :D

Edwina's Secretary
09-25-2004, 01:54 PM
My last speeding ticket...my only speeding ticket....was in 1975! (Knock on wood.....)

As I live in an urban area it would be more likely to get a ticket for going too slow....:D ;) :rolleyes:

Uabassoon
09-25-2004, 02:50 PM
I've only gotten 1 which isn't too bad considering I've been driving for 7 years. Hopefully I won't get any more.

Desert Arabian
09-25-2004, 02:54 PM
Yep- once- two weeks ago. 12 over. :o Oops! :(

guster girl
09-25-2004, 02:57 PM
The first ticket I ever got was going 72 in a 55. Yikes. It was an old man, at least 70, I swear. And, I was hysterical, it was late and I was really tired and emotional already. So, I was crying. Not the pretty kind, like trying to be cute and get out of the ticket, but, like snotty, red eyes, red nose, boo hoo crying. Ha ha. It was bad. Then, just about a month ago, I got pulled over for going 82 in a 55. I thought I would die. But, I'd been given advice from a cop that I should never try to get out of a ticket by being cute or flirting or showing boob or leg or anything. which I've never done, and, I don't think I could pull it off if I tried anyway. But, I took his advice into consideration when the cop pulled me over. First I knew I was going almost 30 over. I also knew my registration was expired. I also knew the license I had on me was not the right last name or address. I also knew that I had a warrant in Port Isabel, TX for speeding in March (it's down near South Padre), but, I didn't think it would show up when he ran my license, but, I wasn't for sure. But, instead of freaking out, I simply acted like I could care less. I had my license and insurance hanging out the window when he came up. He asked "do you know why I pulled you over?" I said "Yeah, cuz I was going over 80 mph in a 55 mph zone, and, my registration is expired." He was floored that I admitted to everything, it was such a "Liar, Liar" moment, I loved it. But, he ended up only giving me the ticket for the registration. Thank goodness! There's more to the story, but, I have already talked too much. :)

neko1
09-25-2004, 04:10 PM
Yeah I got one a few years ago, for doing 44 in a 30, plus the jerk pulled the guy over in front of me too (he pulled us both over at the same time) and told him he was also going 44:rolleyes: Pigs :rolleyes: I live in a hick town and the cops have nothing better to do.

Sorry to get off topic, but I Really hate when the cop's come to a red light and decide that they are too good to wait for it to turn green, so they turn on their lights, run the light, and then as soon as they are past the light, they turn their lights off and go on their merry way...GRRRRRRR!!!!!!:rolleyes: Wait in line with the rest of us!!! Such an abuse of power:mad: :mad:

dappledoxie
09-25-2004, 06:40 PM
I've only gotten one, and I hate that I even got it. :( I got 53 in a 35. I hated it because the place I got it at was right before like 50ft before the speed turned to 45 and then about 50 or 75 more ft. it turns to 55. The guy was so mean too, he didn't even say hi or anything. I just sat there, didn't try and get out of it or anything but oh no, no warning for me. lol I got Prayer for Judgement, if it went on my insurance my mom would kill me! lol

Cookiebaker
09-25-2004, 07:23 PM
I've actually been pretty lucky. I have a bit of a "lead foot" but I only got stopped once. And because my license was clear, he gave me a warning. :) Now that I've said that, hopefully I won't jinx myself!!! :p

kingrattus
09-25-2004, 07:38 PM
I got my G1 3 years ago & never drove. Then I took lessons a year later. I litterly got an A+ for my first day driving in my life. The teacher called me a liar saying this isn't my first time, but it really was. 10 hours of driving lessons later, I passed my test & got my G2. & I haven't driven a year this Oct. Soooooo. in the 3 years of having my lisence. I haven't been pulled over yet... hehehehe.. I have 2 years to get my G. So HOPEFULLY someone will let me drive sometime within that time, soI can get my G & not have to start ALL over again.

sammy101
09-25-2004, 09:26 PM
i'm not driving yet;) :p

but i have been in the car once when my dad got pulled over...

CountryWolf07
09-26-2004, 02:44 AM
Yup! ONE!

I got a speeding ticket about 6 months ago - I went 42mph in a 25mph.. it was, I think, $190.. I was SO, SO mad at myself for that.. and I've definitely slowed down big time - and so far.. it's working well, no tickets..

davidpizzica
09-26-2004, 06:17 AM
I've only had two tickets in my life and those were for overtime parking. I was warned once, and the cop gave me a little lecture on speeding! I was pulled over once and the cop was wrong! In Pennsylvania you can be pulled over for an out of date inspection sticker. I drove into a resturant parking lot and just as I was getting out of the car, I hear " let's see your license and registration" I got out and he looked at the sticker. It turned out that he read the sticker wrong! It was up to date. He apologized to me.

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-26-2004, 07:12 AM
I used to get loads of fines in my car in South Africa (Golf VR6 - my Pocket Rocket) - I swear it was impossible to drive that car slowly!! I have had a few here in Bahrain, but what sucks is that the fine is the SAME here, no matter how fast you are going - you are either over the limit or under :rolleyes: So of course everyone who does speed is doing around 100 in a 60 zone.:eek:

The thing that annoys me is that they don't take into account the capabilities of the car you are driving - MY car (serviced regularly, good brakes, ABS, good tyres etc) is far lass of a danger at 80 than a piece of junk doing 60!! (JMHO)

teenster3
09-26-2004, 08:32 AM
david p
I've only had two tickets in my life and those were for overtime parking. I was warned once, and the cop gave me a little lecture on speeding! I was pulled over once and the cop was wrong! In Pennsylvania you can be pulled over for an out of date inspection sticker. I drove into a resturant parking lot and just as I was getting out of the car, I hear " let's see your license and registration" I got out and he looked at the sticker. It turned out that he read the sticker wrong! It was up to date. He apologized to me.

**DAVID.....I can't believe he apologized!;)
Around here, I can't even imagine the idea of an apology EVER. With the "Control & Power" a lot of them seem to have "big heads" too, it would always be their word against the other person!
This is off the subject a little but, I was even given a ticket earlier this year for a neighbor dispute! Long story......let's just say I won't fight "just because" but if I had to I would! We both got issued $165.00 but, luckily "I fought mine" & Won!!!!!! 1st time for everything!!!!:)

cocker_luva
09-26-2004, 08:42 AM
no but i was pulled over for running a red light. i got a ticket, paid the money and went to a class to get if off my record. :D

Tonya
09-26-2004, 09:58 AM
I have gotten a few. One when I was 17. Then, when I was 19 or 20 and commuting to work, I went through this bad luck streak where I got several tickets in a 2 month span. I went to court for all of them and won all but one carpool lane ticket. The police almost never show up to court so the judge dismisses the ticket. I hadn't had one in a long time until this Feb. I got one on my way home from Oregon that I did online traffic school for.

*oh, I just have to add...one of those tickets in my bad luck span was 67 in a 65. :eek: I was like "Give me a freakin break!!!" The cop said some crap about how he had a daughter my age, and he'd never want his daughter driving in the fast lane because that's the first lane that gets hit when someone comes over the center divider and so he felt inclined to stop me and lecture me. WTF?! I was so mad.

Holly's mom
09-26-2004, 10:23 AM
I never have (knock on wood), but believe me, that's been pure luck.:p There's been numerous times when I've been speeding, and seen a police or sheriff's car, and I thought "oh no, here we go!" But my luck has held out, but after I see a police car, I slow down to the speed limit for awhile.;)

Twisterdog
09-26-2004, 01:56 PM
Yeah, I've gotten a few. None recently though. (knock on wood!)

I find it very difficult to drive fast cars slowly. Guess I should stop buying fast cars, eh? My latest trouble maker is my turbo charged New Beetle. Yikes. So far no tickets in it, though.

I used to have cops single me out of a crowd of people, all speeding, when I had my red convertible Mazda Miata. NOT fair!

davidpizzica
09-26-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by teenster3
david p

**DAVID.....I can't believe he apologized!;)
Around here, I can't even imagine the idea of an apology EVER. With the "Control & Power" a lot of them seem to have "big heads" too, it would always be their word against the other person!
This is off the subject a little but, I was even given a ticket earlier this year for a neighbor dispute! Long story......let's just say I won't fight "just because" but if I had to I would! We both got issued $165.00 but, luckily "I fought mine" & Won!!!!!! 1st time for everything!!!!:) Teenster3, I think it was because he was a local cop(in my township) that I got off easy. I can't imagine a Pennsylvania state trooper being that lenient. They NEVER apologize!

Glacier
09-26-2004, 03:01 PM
I've never been pulled over, but I got a couple photo radar tickets when I lived in Calgary.

I have been pulled over for other stuff. Once when I was visiting my parents I borrowed my big brother's car. Got pulled over twice that night, both times the cops looked in the car and said "you're not Lance!" and let me go. My brother was a bit of a wild child in his younger days. I never believed him that the cops targeted him until that night. Course, he probably was up to something!

ramanth
09-27-2004, 09:49 AM
I've recieved 3 speeding tickets so far and they were all back in 1997. 2 of them I was doing 5 mph over the limit. Small town city cops have lots of time on their hands. ;) :rolleyes:

I never go over the speed limit in the cities and on the highways, I pretty much do the limit, 5 over, or just go with the pack.

DJFyrewolf36
09-27-2004, 10:22 AM
Hoo boy, when I get the ole "Pull over" treatment I never do it lightly!! I've only gotten two tickets (knock on wood) and have been in the car for two of my hubbys tickets :rolleyes:

The first ticket was really really stupid. I was out on the indain reservation *some parts of our city is reservation land, patrolled by the reservation police* Well I guess they were bored and they pulled me over. I was going *gasp* 2 mph over the limit. The guy pulls me over, then calls backup :eek: so here I am with two cars pulling me over and my mom is with me *groan* Im suprised they didn't search the car (It was my dads car)

Does some girl and her mom look like a danger to society? Sheesh...

The last one I had just gotten the beast I have now. It was 3 am and I was on the highway. I had just passed the sign that turned the speed limit to 45 from 65. I was going 79 (didnt know it though, I didnt think my car could even go that fast lol) of course a state cop (female state cop, the worst kind) was hiding in the back road (No lights or anything) next to the sign. She pulls me over and tells me I should take an alternate route next time (gee thanks for the advice Mary Sunshine). I go into court and the judge was nice enough to drop it from a $250 or so ticket to a $65 so long as I promised not to do it again :D (Glad he didn't remember the time the hubby got pulled over in my other car going 140 in the same area...oops luckily the cop who pulled us over realised that he and us were the only people on the road for miles and reduced it to a 10 over ticket lol)

PJ's Mom
09-27-2004, 10:23 AM
The first ticket I got was the day I got my license. I was doing 45 in a 30. It's all been downhill from there. :D

Tina
09-27-2004, 10:30 AM
Nope..I guess I've been pretty lucky.

CathyBogart
09-27-2004, 10:32 AM
Can't say that I have.....then again, I haven't had my license all that long!

wolf_Q
09-27-2004, 05:07 PM
No, I've never been pulled over...yet *knock on wood* I've been in the car when my friends have been pulled over for speeding though, twice!

popcornbird
09-27-2004, 05:18 PM
Nope.....not yet, but I haven't had my lisense that long either. I haven't even begun to speed yet. :p