PDA

View Full Version : New kitten

dragonchilde
09-24-2004, 05:21 PM
Got a question for you guys.

I'm taking my new kitten to the vet on the 1st, but until then, I need some advice.

He's been suffering from diarrhea and dehydration. The diarrhea is most likely caused by the food change (I hope), but my main concern is the dehydration. Are there any measures I can take to make sure he drinks plenty of water, or any stopgap tricks I can use to help him rehydrate? Basically, just so he doesn't get really sick before the trip to the vet.

I have to leave him in his bedroom during the day, since he's had a couple of accidents. I don't think he drinks much water while he's in there, because he always drinks when I let him out when I get home. I'm going to guess his age at approximately 6-7 weeks.

moosmom
09-24-2004, 07:51 PM
Get your kitty to a vet ASAP! Dehydration in kittens that young can be fatal. If you can, force water into her via a syringe (you can get one from the vets office). Please don't wait. This baby needs to see a vet right way.

Diarrhea and dehydration could be signs of coccidia or distemper.

leslie
09-25-2004, 12:27 AM
Diarreah worsens the dehydration because it is further loss of fluids. Try adding water to anything that will inspire him to eat that is not salty i.e. NO FISH! Tuna and turkey is salty and further dehydrates. try chicken livers from the meat section (boil on stove and give with broth) or open a can of chicken broth- low sodium if you have it! Anything to tempt him to eat, and that you can add some water to and it will still be tasty. Roast beef is a winner- if its rare- at least the moisture is a bit of water...
And yes dehydration can kill quite easily. vet is needed asap even if you need to use emergancy vet, you should. Go to thread re: lucky/cheach. He could have died monday night had not dusty's people brought him to a vet. He was dehydrated and high fever- fever was unknown because nose and ears still cool.. We can't make diagnosis at home!

dragonchilde
09-26-2004, 10:23 PM
He's been improving. I've been making him drink water, and mixed in the gooshy food with his regular kibble, and that seemed to make him feel better. He definitely seems better. His stools are firmer, and he's a lot more energetic. He's definitely going to the vet on the 1st, but it looks like the worst is over.

leslie
09-27-2004, 08:45 PM
Ok, can we compromise? Can you call the vets office and tell them what has been going on and let them decide if it can wait till the 1st? If they think not they will slip you into their schedule before that. Please at least do that.

doggylovr6
10-23-2004, 03:53 PM
um, lol, i dont have any advice but your kitty will be in my prayers!!

catfancier
10-26-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by leslie
Ok, can we compromise? Can you call the vets office and tell them what has been going on and let them decide if it can wait till the 1st? If they think not they will slip you into their schedule before that. Please at least do that.

I second that - better to be safe than sorry. If your kitten still isn't 100% by the time you get him to the vets, they probably won't vaccinate at the time either, due to the fact that the live virus is part of the vaccine and can lower your babies immune system for a short time after being administered. Saves you two trips in the long run provided he's healthy.