PDA

View Full Version : Jasper Wants to Leave....Advise PLEASE!!

Jasper's Mom
06-17-2001, 11:49 PM
My son says that Jasper really wants to stay....BUT....today is his first day free in the rest of the house. He immediately ran to the front door screen. I let him sit there for a long time and he finally walked away, to my relief, only to head for a screened window, and look at me and cry. He paced between the front door and window for over an hour, wanting out. If I approached him when he was away from the door, he would immediately meow, head to the door, stop and look and me, meowing again, asking in his old way to go out. I CANNOT LET HIIM OUT!

I closed the front door, and then he positioned himself inside the back door which leads to an enclosed patio area. I had closed the door tight because we used to keep it ajar for him, and he went in and out using his paw. He then used to wait at the sliding screen door to be let out. Now, when out of my bedroom he cares about nothing else. It seems he just wants to leave.

He used to love playing in the yard but such danger now waits for him there. The same people who trapped him the first time could do it again. I won't take that chance. To me it would seem he would rather have home, love and food than be outside, but then, I am not a cat.

I would appreciate any advise and words of wisdom from anyone who has been through this before. Needing to change a free roam cat into a house only cat. Will time change it or will he always want out?

Karen
06-18-2001, 07:05 AM
Have you thought of taking him outdoors but on a leash? Old(er) kitties CAN change, but you need to be firm and unwavering. He doesn't understand that what happened before may happen again, http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif but you do! Be strong!

Logan
06-18-2001, 10:35 AM
I think you're going to have to exercise "tough love", Jasper's Mom. And watch him like a hawk! Maybe you can do something inside to make him happier, like stacking some boxes, get him a huge scratching post he can climb, and make sure he has good perches near windows so that he can see what is going on outdoors, without actually letting him outside. And I don't know about Jasper, but my kitties love open windows, where they can lie on the ledge and smell and see everything outside.

I think the leash and harness idea is a good one, but I'd wait a while, and force him to get used to being inside. If he experiences the outdoors, he might decide he needs more of that.

Good luck. Give him lots of attention and distractions, and maybe in time, he'll get used to it.

Logan

bugmom
06-18-2001, 12:18 PM
I'd be watching like a hawk! maybe though he wants to sniff who's been through his yard and thats it. re-mark his territory. Just a thought - but i sure wouldn't let him go out without a leash and harness. (i have a cat who actually loves the leash and harness!)

Cougie Wechsler
06-18-2001, 09:26 PM
I agree with the term "tough love" but there is hope. My Fester was born outdoors and lived outside for about a year. Although he is neutered he still liked to wander. We live in a quiet neighborhood but our cats are still indoor. When we brought him, he would run to each door and window crying to get out. We did the following:

First, make sure all exits are secure; look at all of your windows and see if any of your screens have tears or are loose.

Second, talk to everyone in your family or regular visitors to your house. Make sure Jasper is accounted for INDOORS when they leave. Also, make sure people know to close the door good.

Third, invest in an indoor cat jungle gym or some of the ideas that Logan posted. Scratching post, boxes, etc...make living indoors an adventure. Change the location from time to time. Also, buy wind up mice, birds, etc...

You may want to get a squirt bottle and squirt it when he goes neat the door. I know it sounds tough but soon he may stop going near there.

In a couple of months, Fester did not run to the door or windows. He still liked to look outside but was not obsessed like he once was.

Also, stick to your guns. You are doing the right thing!

You and Jasper are in my prayers and I think it will turn out good!

[This message has been edited by Cougie Wechsler (edited June 18, 2001).]

Freckles
06-18-2001, 10:01 PM
And if he's still keeping the bell on, maybe you can introduce the harness to wear indoors for now. Just to get use to it.

Jasper's Mom
06-21-2001, 05:36 PM
So many good ideas and I thank you so much for sharing them with me. I tried some play things in my room but he isn't interested. Not even the bags. Even a new catnip mouse was ignored. I suspect his quiet demeanor means he needs time to recover so I will try again later.

I have a ficus tree but my son says it's too heavy. We'll see this week end. Otherwise I am heading to WalMart to check out what they have. The cat trees with perches are so expensive, but several weeks ago in the deep storage under the eves of the house, we found something like a tall wood plant stand. Only think that because of the round stain on the top. With it's wide bottom it will be perfect for climbing and playing on. Next week a carpet installer will be coming for our upstairs, and we've asked him to tack the leftover onto this 5' wooden stand. And we were going to dump that thing.

Jasper is jealous of my computer. He is perched between my chair back and my back. What he will do for affection now. He is patting my back so I'll let him have a chest sit for lovings. Time out.

Jasper likes my son's room, but we have to watch him since he hasn't discovered that the screen on his favorite window to watch birds from is old and slit on the bottom. If he discovers it he's out. The same with the back sliding screen door. His talented paws can escape that one. What you don't notice until the need arises.

When Eli and Jasper are friendlier, they can use the wide sill window right above Eli's condo. Good outdoor view and today I made it kitty friendly. My other idea is to rebuild a box window like my dad did for parakeets when I was little. Open two glass paned windows (old house with unusual windows, like opening up shutters). That forms the left and right side. Attach a wood top and bottom across them. You have the sides of the box. Place screen on a frame (stronger) across the back of the box as a window would be. Keep the front open, and a cat window box for viewing, smelling and listening. It opens up right under a guava tree. Shady, cool, no rain, hidden from the street, and birds come to it. I think they'll both love it.

With small window perchs, big window box, a tree and a pole to climb, scratch, and sit, I hope home will feel safe and fun to be in. I decided on the window because I know if Jasper is let out even on a halter and leash, he will do the door and window patrols forever. He now scratches on my son's closed door to be let in for "bird viewing". He is persistent. He still patrols windows and doors but is not as frantic.

Can you believe, Jasper responds to a dog command. He now knows and understands the command, "stay". If I exit my room, I look him in the eye, put up my hand and firmly say it. He freezes and watches me leave. Amazing.

Found a battery operated ball with a tail for the two kittie boys. Hope it will be fun. I'll be looking for more moving prey next time I shop. Can't let the dogs get this cause they'd crunch it.

Thanks again for sharing. Now we've got lots of ideas and projects to keep Jasper happy. Eli, in his kitten world, doesn't need any help to be happy. He's going to help Jasper.

[This message has been edited by Jasper's Mom (edited June 21, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Jasper's Mom (edited June 21, 2001).]

Jasper's Mom
06-22-2001, 05:33 AM
Thanks for steering me to Home Depot. We have two here now, and I know one is 24 hours. (What are people doing in a hardware store in the middle of the night? WalMart I can understand.) I'll be there this week end and check it out. Thanks for the tip.

Jasper has been slightly better today, although running away from Eli. But Eli persists in following, but at a distance. The door sitting is going to change as I bought two squirt bottles, one each for front and back door. I hate his soft, plaintive meows when he begs to go out. Makes me feel quilty.

Fawn_cat
06-27-2001, 01:56 PM
What you need to do is to give him love constantly every single minute of the day so that he knows that he is truly loved inside of the house - If the cat has not been fixed then you also need to have him fixed.

There is something outside in the past that has interested him - a girl or boyfriend cat or some special food by the people that are trying to trap him.

A lot of the humane societies, including Hennepin County are encouraging people to trap the cats and dogs and are giving them live traps to use for free.

What these over eager good samaritans do not realize that some cities do not have any ordinances regarding cats and so therefore it is legal for them to roam the streets.

If you have not, I would inform the local police authorities that these people are trying to trap your cat and sign a complaint against them in most communities that is considered theft according to Blacks and Barron's law dictionaries.

The cat needs you undivided attention right now. When he starts crying pick him up and hug him and kiss him - how long have you had him?

Please respond to me at [email protected]

Fawn_cat
06-27-2001, 01:57 PM
What you need to do is to give him love constantly every single minute of the day so that he knows that he is truly loved inside of the house - If the cat has not been fixed then you also need to have him fixed.

There is something outside in the past that has interested him - a girl or boyfriend cat or some special food by the people that are trying to trap him.

A lot of the humane societies, including Hennepin County are encouraging people to trap the cats and dogs and are giving them live traps to use for free.

What these over eager good samaritans do not realize that some cities do not have any ordinances regarding cats and so therefore it is legal for them to roam the streets.

If you have not, I would inform the local police authorities that these people are trying to trap your cat and sign a complaint against them in most communities that is considered theft according to Blacks and Barron's law dictionaries.

The cat needs you undivided attention right now. When he starts crying pick him up and hug him and kiss him - how long have you had him?

Please respond to me at [email protected]