PDA

View Full Version : Prisoners being compensated in NZ...grr..

carole
09-23-2004, 05:53 PM
I am so appalled at this latest development here in my country, three or four prisoners have been awarded like over a hundred thousand dollars each , because they have been mis-treated by the guards.

This is because of the human rights bill, which IMO needs looking at, the victims receive nothing, and here we have violent offenders being rewarded, this is DISGUSTING.!!!!

What do you think about this?

QueenScoopalot
09-23-2004, 05:57 PM
That makes me sick. :mad: Victims often receive nothing but the bad memories commited by these cretins. They should be handing it over to the people they commited these crimes against! :mad:

davidpizzica
09-23-2004, 06:44 PM
Carole, WHY DON'T THEY COMPEHNSATE THE VICTIMS?? The guards SHOULD treat them roughly! They deserve it. What they DON'T deserve is compensation!!!

carole
09-23-2004, 10:52 PM
I think there are going to be some law changes here because of this, it really is a disgrace, there are 18 inmates seeking compensation running into over 2 million dollars, some have already got their's.

Apparently it is about them being held in solitary confinement, I donot know all the specifics here, but maybe it was for too long a time or something,not long enough IMO.

One inmate is a notorious criminial, who has committed aggravated robbery here in my City about four times, all with knives and machetes.

I agree they should be forced to pay out their compensation to the victims, why does the bad guy get the reward, it is exactly like rewarding these people, imagine if it were you who was the victim or someone you know, how would you feel about this., it is hard to believe really, I don't know how that lawyer representing them can look himself in the mirror, still I guess it is his job, to be non-judgemental.
Most of the public are in an uproar over this, so let us hope changes will occurr and soon, all about Human rights, what about the rights of the victims?
:(

KYS
09-23-2004, 11:14 PM
It's the same way in CA. too.
Sometimes it seems the rights of the criminal
over shadows the victim’s rights.

(Over here it doesn't cost that much for a prisoner to sue)
Don't like the way the food tastes lets SUE!

Tonya
09-24-2004, 12:02 AM
Personally, I feel that when you commit a crime, you give up your rights. Prisoners should have no rights. They should have no cigarettes, tv, etc... They should have books, educational tools, counseling, and work. That's it.

smokey the elder
09-24-2004, 09:54 AM
This seems to be another manifestation of what I call hyper-liberalism. This give real Liberals a bad name. This type of imbalance of criminals' vs victims' rights is a large problem here.

I don't want to get on a bigger rant; this isn't the Dog HOuse, after all.:) :p