PDA

View Full Version : Tiel people, What are your tiels' favorite treats?

K9soul
09-23-2004, 01:13 PM
This is partly out of curiosity and partly to get more ideas of different treats to try out.

So far the treats Dawn seems really crazy about are millet spray and celery. She must have spent a solid 2 hours this morning going from her millet spray to her celery stick, she mostly ignored the lettuce leaf. She enjoys nibbling on most things I give her (bell peppers, jalapenos, carrots, parsley, spinach/lettuce, cabbage, tortilla chips) but she seems the most crazy about celery and millet spray so far.

Logan
09-23-2004, 02:18 PM
Definitely Millet Spray, then green leaf Lettuce. They also love Cheerios and Total cereal. I'm going to have to try a stalk of celery, Jess. They might love it! :)

popcornbird
09-23-2004, 04:29 PM
Popcorn's favorite treats: 1. Millet 2. Almonds 3. Popcorn 4. Whole Wheat Bread 5. Celery

Muffin's favorite treats: 1. Millet 2. Lettuce 3. Brocolli 4. Whole What Bread 5. Popcorn

K9soul
09-23-2004, 06:44 PM
How often do you give millet to your birds? (anyone can answer). I know some things aren't particularly healthy for them to get too much of, such as sunflower seeds. I think I read they should really get no more than about 8 sunflower seeds per day, so I stay away from seed mixes that have tons of sunflower seeds. The lady I got Dusk from said she bought a bag of tiel seed, a bag of pellets, and a bag of parakeet seed, and mixed all these together to make their standard food.

Is millet something else that should be limited somewhat or is it fine to give it to them regularly?

Logan
09-23-2004, 07:29 PM
Jess, Millet is truly a "treat" around here. Mine don't get the sprays very often at all (they are too messy).

popcornbird
09-23-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by K9soul
How often do you give millet to your birds? (anyone can answer). I know some things aren't particularly healthy for them to get too much of, such as sunflower seeds. I think I read they should really get no more than about 8 sunflower seeds per day, so I stay away from seed mixes that have tons of sunflower seeds. The lady I got Dusk from said she bought a bag of tiel seed, a bag of pellets, and a bag of parakeet seed, and mixed all these together to make their standard food.

Is millet something else that should be limited somewhat or is it fine to give it to them regularly?

Millet is actually very good for them. Its not a fatty seed, and they get good exercise by *wrestling* with it when they eat it. I personally give them 2 millet sprays a week...sometimes just one. They finish it way too fast. Their seed mixes all have millet too though, but there's something about the millet spray that they seem to enjoy so much.

tikeyas_mom
09-23-2004, 08:17 PM
Chipper loves dried Bananas. Cheeko loves honey treats and sunflower treats.

flamepony12
09-23-2004, 08:21 PM
hmm, spray millet, popcorn, sunflower seeds....

Jods
09-23-2004, 09:01 PM
my Peter loves mac and cheese lol.... When I make it he can smell it and starts getting sooo excited and shouting HELLO, and this constant tune he sings that I dont know where he picked it up from lol ... till we put a few pieces in his cage... He like popcorn and millet as well....

K9soul
09-23-2004, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone! Dawn used to not try anything other than her seed diet, but it seems like once I finally got her to try something different (a piece of lettuce), she now will try anything I put in front of her. I enjoy offering her a lot of variety now.

Here she is attacking her celery earlier today while ignoring the lettuce:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/k9soul/Dawn/dawncelery.jpg

She also kept climbing one of her ladders and munching on millet spray. It was hard to tell which she enjoyed more. :)

My Peanuts
09-24-2004, 12:29 PM
All four of mine like millet like crazy. Milton loves corn, Evie and Danny love scrambled eggs with cheese, and Alex loves green beans. While I was away this weekend my cousin was cooking for my tiels and she gave them some fettucini alfredo from dinner and she said they all loved it :D I think it's pretty fattening, but I'm trying to put some weight on all of them.