lizzielou742
09-23-2004, 09:39 AM
from the Cincinnati Enquirer newspaper

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2004/09/22/loc_doggone22.html

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Dog dispute leaves family bereft, new owner defensive

By Erica Solvig
Enquirer staff writer

LEBANON - Looking to the Warren County commissioners for Solomonic wisdom that would help bring Willie home, a Turtlecreek Township family left Tuesday with its two young daughters in tears after efforts to mediate the dog's return failed.

The Smiths' mixed-breed dog, which had no tag, disappeared earlier this month and was picked up by a neighbor who turned him in to the Warren County Humane Association. Five days later, the neighbor, James Moreland of Turtlecreek Township, legally adopted the dog.

Despite a monetary offer from the Smiths, Moreland refuses to give Willie back. Because commissioners thought there was potential legal action against the dog warden, they met in a second closed-door session Tuesday but were unsuccessful in reaching a solution.

"If he was any kind of man at all, he would give my girls and us our dog back," Tim Smith said after Tuesday's hour-long meeting. "If the shoes were on another foot, I would do the same for (him)."

Moreland said he wanted to talk with the county prosecutor before discussing his side of the story.

Willie - a 11/2-year-old Lhasa apso/bichon frise mix - was chasing a cat Sept. 5 when he ran off the Smiths' 3.5-acre property. The family searched but couldn't find Willie. They called the shelter twice but the dog had not been turned in.

Moreland dropped Willie off at the shelter Sept. 9 to check for an electronic chip. The shelter had no record of the Smiths' earlier calls, so Moreland paid the $101 fee and adopted Willie Sept. 14, executive director Mari Lee Schwarzwalder said.

The Smiths called an hour after the adoption took place, but it was too late. If the dog had had a $15 license, the shelter would have tried to contact the family.

-------------------------

WHY won't the guy give those people back their dog?! I think that's so sad and just weird.

pitc9
09-23-2004, 10:16 AM
OMG!!

Give the dog back!!!
:mad:

I'm sure something else is going to come out about the story.

Like why the shelter didn't wait "x" amount of days for the dog to be claimed by it's owners....

But still... give me a break... what a creep!

micki76
09-23-2004, 10:52 AM
Looks like the shelter waited the appropriate time period. The "owners" should've called the day he escaped. Was he just allowed to run loose? If so, then perhaps he's better off where he is. The dog was turned in on 9-9 and adopted 4 days later! Who would wait 4 days to contact the shelter if their dog was missing?!?!?

Why wasn't the dog registered with the city?!?! :

"If the dog had had a $15 license, the shelter would have tried to contact the family."

lizzielou742
09-23-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by lizzielou742
Willie - a 11/2-year-old Lhasa apso/bichon frise mix - was chasing a cat Sept. 5 when he ran off the Smiths' 3.5-acre property. The family searched but couldn't find Willie. They called the shelter twice but the dog had not been turned in.

It says they called the shelter twice, but it doesn't say when...doesn't say whether the dog is usually allowed to run loose....

I still say whether or not the owners took the time to get the dog registered with the city, the guy should still give the dog back. If it was me, and I had just adopted this lost dog and then the owners came to me a few days later and asked for their dog back, I would be sad but I'd still give them their dog back. There's little kids involved.

It's just sad all the way around.

DJFyrewolf36
09-23-2004, 11:08 AM
I would have given the dog back just because of the kids. Of course I would be sad but then again the guy could always adopt another pup from the shelter. I wonder why the guy wants specifically that dog? It seems kind of unusual to me.

micki76
09-23-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by lizzielou742
It says they called the shelter twice, but it doesn't say when...doesn't say whether the dog is usually allowed to run loose....

I still say whether or not the owners took the time to get the dog registered with the city, the guy should still give the dog back. If it was me, and I had just adopted this lost dog and then the owners came to me a few days later and asked for their dog back, I would be sad but I'd still give them their dog back. There's little kids involved.

It's just sad all the way around.

:o I missed that part!

If he had been registered, they would've been contacted immediately. Sorry, but I get so sick of irresponsible pet owners. :mad:

Perhaps he should give the dog back. I think there's more to it that we don't know, which is always the case. ;) Probably a history of something between these people or something.

dukedogsmom
09-23-2004, 11:17 AM
I, too, think there's something missing from the story. For one thing, how could the neighbor not know that was their dog? They shouldn't have been letting the dog run loose but that doesn't mean they shouldn't get it back. That guy is being hateful.

aly
09-23-2004, 11:30 AM
This story hits so close to home with me :(

I legally adopted a dog after the mandatory hold period at the shelter, only to find the owners a couple weeks later (by accident). It was terrible, terrible, terrible. Its a long story so I won't go into it unless someone wants me to.

caseysmom
09-23-2004, 11:43 AM
I feel bad for these people but if casey was missing I would be camped at the shelter.

QueenScoopalot
09-23-2004, 11:46 AM
I would think if they can track phone records in murder cases etc., then they'd be able to find out just when this guy contacted the shelter. :confused: It sounds a bit like spite to me!