PDA

View Full Version : This can't happen in my State....

ramanth
08-10-2001, 09:20 AM
But it did...

I heard on the radio this morning that over 300 animals (dogs and cats) were found in an Owosso, MI home. No food or water and had been left alone for days in this 90 degree plus heat. As you can imagine some didn't make it but I'm sure the ones that can be saved will be flooding area shelters.

Are there any volunteers at Michigan shelters that may know what shelters these animals will go too? I'm calling the Lansing shelter to find out if any animals are going there and how I can help.

This is beyond horrifying.....

Kim S.

ramanth
08-10-2001, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by SpencerTheLion:
<STRONG>...that house may have the sad distinction of setting a record for animal hoarding, animal collection or pet collection :( :( :(. There have been instances of 200 pets, but 300...OH! I have found a few links on this, click How Many is Too Many (http://petoftheday.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000078).

I have found a good article on Animal Collection (http://www.peta-online.org/mc/facts/fsc21.html). PETA has put out some on-edge material, but this article is informative and well-balanced.

Placing 300 animals is challenging in itself, but they will have to be isolated as you can count on several of them being sick. Some will have feline leukeumia and have to be put down :(.

[ August 10, 2001: Message edited by: SpencerTheLion ]</STRONG>

Thanks for the links Spencer. Very informative.

I called the Lansing area Humane Society and their Operations Director was speaking with the proper authorities about the situation as I called. I talked with the front desk and she did not know if they were going to be getting any of those animals or not.

I've sent them a donation check anyway and I'll keep calling to keep tabs on those animals.

Kim S.

4 feline house
08-10-2001, 08:13 PM
Kim, if the shelters in your area operate like the ones around here, either the city pound will get them or whoever is the contracted cruelty investigator will get them, or possibly with such a large amount they may even be split up. In this area the SPCA is the Dallas- and eastern North Texas-area cruelty inspector, so any cruelty seizures end up in their shelter or the city where the crime occurred, and the Humane Society is responsible for the Fort Worth- and western North Texas-area.

Bless you for helping out in whatever way you can.