PDA

View Full Version : Kitty asthma ??

kuhio98
09-22-2004, 10:56 PM
Halo and Cammie had their yearly exams today. Cammie weighed in at 10.8 pounds and Halo is up to 15! :eek:
The vet said that neither of them are overweight. The funny this is that Cammie eats a lot more than Halo.

Anyway, Halo has been diagnosed with asthma and we're supposed to give her a Prednisone tablet once a day if we hear her wheezing. Anyone got a kitty with asthma? Did Prednisone help?

Kona & Oreo's mom
09-23-2004, 09:27 AM
My sister's boy Gnocchi had asthma/allergies. He was having attacks of breathing problems that were very scary. He had medication for a while, but now she is able to control it without meds by keeping certain things out of the house (dried flowers, etc.).

I hope that all goes well for Halo!

moosmom
09-24-2004, 07:41 PM
My cat Mollie Rose was diagnosed with kitty asthma. She doesn't wheeze all the time so I think it's mostly allergies.

She does have this problem with runny eyes, stuff nose and sneezing. When she sneezes, it's not once, but 5-10 in a row!! I give her a half a tablet of Chlortrimeton a day. It helps alot.

I was given Prednisone to give her for any wheezing. Only problem with that is, if you give Prednisone for long periods of time, it suppresses the immune system.

NoahsMommy
09-29-2004, 12:17 PM
Basie has asthma too. He got an injection that really worked well for him, I forget what its called though. Its not pred its stronger. I'll find out and get back to you.

It last 6 months...no pilling!

PJSZOO
10-01-2004, 05:09 PM
Hi all, We have a kitty named Twister who has asthma. She had been having coughing spells and wheezing off & on for a while. We took her to our regular vet who gave her shots of depomedrol (I think) and she would do well for a while, but then have recurrances of the coughing/wheezing. Our vet recommended taking her to a dermatologist to evaluate, so we found one that was about 2 hours away. She also gave her a shot of depo, and also gave us a prescription for the depo and now we give her shots every three months and she is doing really well. It's not hard (although we don't like to hurt our babies) to give her the shot and she doesn't seem to mind. It's really amazing how fast she feels better after the shot.