PDA

View Full Version : HELP this dog !!

ilovehounds
03-24-2001, 06:52 AM
I know this is a cat talk board but, the more people to see this the better.

If anyone knows someone in this area please contact them

Please spread the word and cross-post. Also, if you can call the shelter, please do so and register your protest! If the shelter is indeed even remotely considering returning the dog to the original owners, this is despicable and deplorable bureaucracy.

*** Is anyone close to Lakeland, Polk County, Florida to try and get this dog adopted? If anyone wants to call and request the shelter NOT release the dog back to the owner, the number is 863-499-2600. Their hours Mon-Fri are
8 to
-------------------------------------------------
Pair charged after dog dragged behind truck KEITH MORELLI of The Tampa Tribune Published: Mar 20, 2001

LAKELAND - A 1-year-old German shepherd mix was recovering Monday night after it was dragged for hundreds of yards behind a pickup truck earlier in the day. Two Lakeland men were arrested on felony animal cruelty charges.

Casey, who belongs to the son of one of the men, suffered deep lacerations and pavement burns all over its body, said Polk County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Michal Shanley. Late Monday night, it appeared Casey would survive, she said.

Shanley said Julian Rangel, 64, of 714 Tennessee Road and Domingo Rangel Sr.,
67, of 722 Tennessee Road each were charged with one count of felony animal cruelty. Both were released from the Polk County Jail after posting $1,000 bail.

Shanley said the dragging occurred at 11:10 a.m. Monday in the 700 block of Tennessee Road. The men tethered the dog, which belonged to Domingo Rangel Jr., to the rear of a 1997 Ford F150 pickup truck and began driving down the road, Shanley said.

``It began with them just bringing the dog back to the son,'' Shanley said.

But the truck ``drove fast enough so that the dog could not keep up and was being dragged,'' Shanley said.

At one point, the men stopped, got out and examined the dog, which was already too injured to stand up, Shanley said.

``They got back into the truck and kept on dragging it,'' she said. The injured animal was dragged 800 yards, she said, until neighbors intervened.

At that point, the men picked up the bleeding dog, tossed it into the bed of the truck and drove to its owner's house, a few blocks away.

Polk County Animal Services will decide whether the dog will be kept and put up for adoption or returned to the owner, Shanley said.

ANIMAL ABUSE-The ultimate act of cowardice and mental
derangement!!

HowieDawn
03-24-2001, 09:37 AM
oh that is terrible!

margaret
03-25-2001, 01:03 PM
My God that's horrible!! Oh that makes me so ANGRY! Absolutely evil and heartless. It makes me sick that there are people in this world capable of such unimaginable cruelty, that they could drag a human being or a dog behind a moving vehicle for sport. We need to speak up about any incidence of cruelty to any living creature, people or animals! It should not be tolerated! This country can be and should be an example to the rest of the world that the U.S. is a civilized, humane society, and we should actively try to make it so.

Thank God for those rational neighbors who didn't ignore what they saw and took action. I'm only sorry they didn't take the poor dog away immediately from those evil men when they stopped them. I hope the dog recovers fully and that someone in the Lakeland area will try to adopt it. That poor animal needs to be in a home where it will be protected and loved. I will call the Florida shelter tomorrow as you suggest.

--Margaret

Troy
03-25-2001, 09:43 PM
People can be so gross it makes me ashamed to be human sometimes.

...a few years ago this happened in Brisbane, Australia: A man was driving along the motorway with a kitten in his car. The kitten scratched him. He decided to "teach it a lesson" and dangled the cat out of the car window until its feet hit the motorway at 60MPH. There was a police car directly behind him http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif The kitten was relatively unhurt and the policeman eventually adopted the kitten while the man was charged for the offence. A nice ending to another example of how horrid some people can be...

Genia
03-25-2001, 11:22 PM
People can be so horrible! I hope these people get jail time; not just a fine and probation. A few weeks ago my 11 yr old daughter came home from school in tears. She walks to school each day. That afternoon she said she saw a kitten in the street and she wanted to get him out of the way before he was hit by a car. She said she looked for traffic but as she was going to get the kitten a speeding SUV came around the corner and she had to jump out of the way. The SUV hit the kitten. The kitten was alive but when she tried to get him she thought he would bite and she was afraid of rabies. She said the cat managed to crawl on his front paws to the side of the street. When she told me we went back to try and find the poor creature but we couldn't. I only hope that someone picked him up and took him to a vet or if he died, I hope it was quick. The reason I am writing this is because I am so proud of my daughter for trying and for caring. These men are elderly, but I believe a lot of behavior such as the story above begins with how a child is raised. I know parents aren't always responsible for the way their children behave as adults, but I would like to think that I have provided a foundation for my child and I hope that she continues to love and care for the plight of animals when she becomes an adult.

Gio
03-26-2001, 05:24 AM
People like this makes me so angry, I don't how anyone could even think of doing a thing like that, I think they are evil and twisted monsters.

There is so much cruelty around, my sister does some voluntary work for the local animal rescue, in the past ten days two particular gruesome cases came up. Someone had wrapped barbed wire really tightly around a kitten's waist and pulled, an other young cat was found with a piece of rope wrapped arond her neck,as if someone had tried to hang her. Luckily both were saved and are now up for adoption. People who are able to do something like this to a living creature should be punished severly (should not be left to me though...)

Sorry if I did go on a bit, but my sister told me about this over the weekend and therefore is still fresh on my mind and I had to let it out.

I will try to call, perhaps a few international complaints might help a bit

[This message has been edited by Gio (edited March 26, 2001).]

wolflady
03-26-2001, 01:16 PM
I totally agree with everyone on this board. Margaret, you took the words right out of my mouth!! I don't know how people can be so disturbingly sick as to torture animals/any living thing for that matter. I feel the same way as Troy, I am truely ashamed to be human sometimes too...seeing how destructive and cruel humankind can be. Stuff like this just makes me so angry!!!

This is a little off subject but, in a letter to the Norwegian Minister of Environment supporting the protest against wolf slaughter, I wrote "... It's absolutely rediculous to take an endangered species such as the wolf (I understand there are 17 left in Norway?????) and exterminate it because of people's uneducated fears and misconceptions. In Norway, as well as everywhere else in the world, people are the problem. People have come to infest the face of the earth like locusts, pushing any other species out (or killing it off to the point of extinction) and consuming every natural resource. What will happen in the future when the human race has built on every last scrap of land? Where will our oxygen come from? What will happen when our grand children's grand children only learn about animal species through text books because the human race has wiped them out? It would be a sad sad thing for that to happen. After all, who was here first? People can learn a lot from animals. Animals, such as wolves, take only what they need to survive in nature. Humans take more than they need and then some. Before humans infested the face of the earth, resources were conserved, and if it were up to the animals, there would be more resources left today..."
I was a little angry when I wrote this, but it got the point across. It's so sad that people can be so cruel, and I really think that humankind can learn a lot from observing the animals.

I am comforted, however, knowing there are a lot of people out there who do care. People on this board, for example, people involved in any kind of animal rescue/rehabilitation, people with a strong love of animals and preservation, and anyone who goes out of their way to help an animal in need.

Genia, many hugs to your daughter for trying to help that poor kitten. I do believe that a lot of it(behavior) does come from how you're brought up and what you see. I did a research paper on serial killers in college, and it was a scary discovery for me to find out that people who torture animals when they're young is a huge HUGE warning sign. The serial killers that I mentioned in my paper (Bundy, Hill Side Strangler, Gacy, Son of Sam, Berkowitz...and some others), ALL had a history of animal torture as kids. Scary correlation.

Gio, I think it's a really great idea for some international complaints! I've had a few of my own, like the one to Norway! I think it would be great if we could get animal cruelty to be considered a greater crime than it is considered right now (really, 1000 fine and those guys are released??) and to get the word out to help STOP animal cruelty!!!!

I think I'll get off my soapbox now. This is just something that hits a nerve. Hope I didn't offend anyone! I'll end my post with this thought...

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be your faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion..."
-Unknown

Gio
03-27-2001, 01:48 AM
Wolflady,

I think the norwegian Minister of the Environment is going to receive a few complaints from me as well, I adore wolves (I always felt they are largely misunderstood animals). Well, this would be an addition to the number of letters I sent to try to stop whale slaughter...

Snoodle Poodle
03-27-2001, 06:37 AM
Its in humane. I used to live on East West Highway and things that no one would believe. Accidents happened often, but this only happened once in all of the 8 yrs i lived there. One day when I was outside i saw a dog tied to a rope running behind a pickup truck. He was stopped by police and he said he was training it for a race http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/mad.gif what a liar. I was told that his dog was adoped and he spent 5 months in rehab (also fined $2,000 to help the dog). He was crazy If he ever does this again boy will i be so angry, many others would be too!

Snoodle Poodle
03-27-2001, 06:38 AM
Its in humane. I used to live on East West Highway and things that no one would believe. Accidents happened often, but this only happened once in all of the 8 yrs i lived there. One day when I was outside i saw a dog tied to a rope running behind a pickup truck. He was stopped by police and he said he was training it for a race http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/mad.gif what a liar. I was told that his dog was adoped and he spent 5 months in rehab (also fined $2,000 to help the dog). He was crazy If he ever does this again boy will i be so angry, many others would be too!

wolflady
03-27-2001, 11:23 AM
Gio, isn't it ashame how people, because of ignorance and fear, aim to deplete a species??? I'm happy to hear that you're going to write to Norway and complain about the wolf slaughter. Here is some info that may help you...

WOLVES IN NORWAY ARE KILLED NOW!!!
WOLF ACTION DAY!!!
Next two wolves were shot in Norway. Also people who prodest against wolf killing were atacked by... people who live there.

Please ask your friends to call Norvegian Embassy nearby on monday 5th March and ask them to stop killing wolves. Also please send them email, faxes etc. to let them know what do you think.

Please also consider boycot of Norvege products in your local store.

More information can be found at http://www.ulvelista.org/ and http://www.fvr.no/ or http://www.fvr.no/nyheter/hunt.html
English version can be found at http://home.no.net/ulvelist/protest_int.htm

Thanks for the support!!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

wolflady
03-27-2001, 11:33 AM
Snoodle, what a terrible thing to witness. Did the police believe him??? If so, then they are extreemly blind. Animal cruelty really needs some more attention paid to it as well as it being treated as the terrible crime that it is...
Gio, where was the whale slaughter??? I would like to send a letter to those people too...
There are some emails posted on the DOTD post under Dog General under this same topic(Help this dog!) if you want to email and complain and voice your opinion that the dog SHOULD NOT be returned to its original owner...

Gio
03-28-2001, 05:15 AM
Wolflady,

thanks for all the info and links. I am sorry to reply this late but I also lag behind because of the time difference (and I can only access a PC at work so I have a lot of catching up during my lunch break.

It was a while ago when I sent those letters to stop whale slaughter. I got the details from the Whales and Dolphin Preservation Society based in the UK. It was when a few countries decided to start whaling again, also I sent letters to stop that gruesome custom of battering whales to death as part of a festival on the beaches of the Phaero Islands. I will try to find those letters in my extremely messy filing system (a stack of boxes in the garage - never fully unpacked after moving).

wolflady
03-28-2001, 11:28 AM
What a terrible thing about the whales!! Battering whales as a part of a festival?? http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/mad.gif That's a festival I would never go to! It really makes me sick at how awful people can be towards other living things. I would be very interested in what you said in your letters to protest that. Thank you.

I know what you mean about having boxes left over from a move!! I tell you what...we moved into our new home in California last August...and we're still not unpacked. I wonder if we will ever be??!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/rolleyes.gif