PDA

View Full Version : Downloading photos...

catnapper
09-22-2004, 04:11 PM
How many photos do you download at once? I got my new camera today (REALLY COOL upgraded version - 5.4 megapixels.... video with SOUND... woohoo! Best part? Its was totally covered by warranty and the replacement camera was FREE... so Nikon is back on my nice list. ;) )

Anyway, I was wondering how many photos you download at once - do you take a few photos and run to download them right away or do you wait til the card is full? Somewhere in between? The problems I had with the last camera were always with downloading... and ummm... I was wondering if I downloaded too few pictures too often. :confused:

I don't want to ruin this new camera the same way. So I'm curious if it was ME, or if others do the same thing.... take a picture and RUN to download them. I'm a person who needs immmediate gratification, what else can I say :D If you do download immediately - how many photos at a time, and do you download again soon afterwards (hours later? A day later?) Do you have probelms with downloading?

Oh, I'm rambling... the point is: How many photos do you download, and how often? :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-22-2004, 04:29 PM
I download whenever I can, or whenever I want the pictures. Sometimes there's only one or two and sometimes there are hundreds. Downloading really shouldn't affect the camera or the card. But if I remember right, the problem with your camera is the connecting cord from the camera to the PC, right? If that's the case, then maybe just be extra careful when plugging and unplugging....ooorrrr....I know you've already said you don't want to do this.....but getting a card reader would mean you don't have to deal with that connection at all. I have two card readers, one for home and one for work. I think they cost about $20.00 each and I like them so much more than having to plug the camera itself into the computer - especially when I'm trying to be incognito at work. ;)

Sounds like they've finally done right by you and I sure hope this one continues to work and you don't have the problems with it like your last one. Because, after all, we NEED pictures of Pouncer, Allen and all your fosters. ;) :D

binka_nugget
09-22-2004, 04:32 PM
I usually only take a few pictures and just download them right away. I like seeing the pictures on screen right away. :D

I do this all the time (a couple times a day usually) and haven't had a problem yet.

jenluckenbach
09-22-2004, 04:33 PM
Well, I know nothing about what is GOOD and what is BAD for the camera. :o

But I don't like to deal with a whole lot at one time. 20 or less, I would say. (If I were away from home, it would probably be different of course, like on vacation)

And I always download right away. As you said INSTANT gratification. Why have instant if you wait to see and show the result????

Kfamr
09-22-2004, 04:36 PM
I generally fill the card whenever i'm taking pictures. If not, the least normally is around 80-100 pictures. I wait until i'm done, batteries die, or the card is full to load them. Of course, I have around 5 or 6 memory cards which hold 300++ each so sometimes I just switch cards and continue taking pictures.

I normally view the pictures on my LSD screen if I really want to see them. :)

Cinder & Smoke
09-22-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom

... getting a card reader would mean you
don't have to deal with that connection at all.

... I like them so much more than having to plug
the camera itself into the computer...

Just a Note of Caution...

EVERY Time you *remove* then *reinsert* the "removable media" -
you're causing a bit of :eek: *WEAR* & *Tear* on the very
Delicate contacts on the card and IN the camera.

I dunno WHICH set of contacts (camera/media) or (camera/USB connector)
is actually built "stronger" ---
but the (camera/media) connector is a LOT more complex.

No matter WHICH way you do it -
Do It with *Caution* and Be Gentle!!

/s/ Phred

catnapper
09-22-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
Just a Note of Caution...

EVERY Time you *remove* then *reinsert* the "removable media" -
you're causing a bit of :eek: *WEAR* & *Tear* on the very
Delicate contacts on the card and IN the camera.

I dunno WHICH set of contacts (camera/media) or (camera/USB connector)
is actually built "stronger" ---
but the (camera/media) connector is a LOT more complex.

No matter WHICH way you do it -
Do It with *Caution* and Be Gentle!!

/s/ Phred

I was thinking the same thing (great minds think alike! :D )

Probelm was I was always delicate and careful - no yanking or shoving per se. I can tell this one is different... it was almost snapping into place, where the other one didn't have that tight fit feel. Perhaps I just had a lemon before?