PDA

View Full Version : Need advice with this dilemma...

Tonya
09-22-2004, 02:34 PM
My dilemma...

My mother, my step-mother, and my mother-in-law want to throw me a baby shower. My two best friends and my other mother-in-law wanted to also, but I was able to ask them not to gently. (Or perhaps they were relieved because they aren't the party throwing type. :D )

But...that still leaves me with three showers and I cannot combine them because:

A: That'd be about 200 people all together.
B: My mom and step-mom can't be in the same city together let alone the same room.
C: My husband's side of the family and my family live a few hours away in opposite directions, so everyone would have to travel to far.

So, it sounds like the only solution is to wind up with three baby showers or zero baby showers. I know everyone will be offended if I tell them I don't want them to throw me a shower.

But also, I feel like it is tacky to have three. I figured if I do have three, I will only register once. Everyone can use the same registry, so that part would work out ok. No one would be invited to more then one shower. My girlfriends from this area can go to my mom's shower, my step-mom's family is HUGE so that'll be the biggest. They'll fly out from the Philippines and Guam because that's just how they are. My in-law's shower, would be small, and I'd invite the friends that live in that area to that one.

But is this tacky? Having three showers? I don't know how to resolve this situation.

jazzcat
09-22-2004, 02:50 PM
If it's three different showers with no guest being invited to more than one then I don't see anything wrong with that.

I just hate being invited to every shower thrown for someone. It's a bit much.

Samantha Puppy
09-22-2004, 03:10 PM
If someone wants to throw you a baby shower, let them - it's not up to you who can and can't or should or shouldn't! The only thing that would be tacky is if YOU threw all THREE by yourself, for yourself. Otherwise, don't sweat it and enjoy all the presents!!!

DogLover9501
09-22-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
If someone wants to throw you a baby shower, let them - it's not up to you who can and can't or should or shouldn't! The only thing that would be tacky is if YOU threw all THREE by yourself, for yourself. Otherwise, don't sweat it and enjoy all the presents!!!

I agree :)

caseysmom
09-22-2004, 03:39 PM
I just have to say that I love baby showers! Its so much fun to see all the cute baby stuff.

ramanth
09-22-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
I second that! :D Just have fun and relax and let them do the hard work. ;) :D

lizzielou742
09-22-2004, 03:53 PM
My best friend is getting married on October 9th, and she had two bridal showers. She registered once and didn't invite the same people to both showers. It's pretty common now, I think. She had one shower with her friends and one with family. I went to both :D because I wanted to. I don't think it's tacky. You don't even have to tell people you're having more than one unless they ask. I would just register for a lot of stuff! :D

GraciesMommy
09-22-2004, 03:53 PM
I agree...I had 3 wedding showers...only one that came to all 3 was my mom..so no biggy!
Have fun and enjoy!

catnapper
09-22-2004, 04:16 PM
MY SIL had at least 5 showers. She didn't have the same people at any of them. Well, my mom went to two only because there was no stopping her :rolleyes: I was told point-blank that I was only invited to ONE of those showers, and well, I was insulted at first but then I realised she was right... I didn't have to worry about the gifts and how I'd get there and taking the time, etc. Go have your three parties and have fun!