PDA

View Full Version : Charities?

PJ's Mom
09-22-2004, 12:51 PM
I got two letters in the mail, one from the ASPCA and one from North Shore asking for donations...which I always provide. ;)

Which, if any, animal charities do you give to? I know it sounds bad, but I never give to human charities. I figure kids and adults alike can speak for themselves, or have someone fighting in their behalf. Animals need all the help they can get. ;)

So, I'm off to write a couple of checks. :D

caseysmom
09-22-2004, 01:13 PM
I volunteer at a local food bank. We do receive dog and cat food donations and give those out at our discretion when the folks ask for food for their pets. Some of these folks have nothing but I know how much they love their pets, they are probably the only bright spot in their lives.

Maresche
09-22-2004, 01:13 PM
We give to our local humane society. They are really great and since I really can't volunteer right now, it is the next best thing.

We also give to our soup kitchen/homeless shelter.

There are other charities we give to, but not that frequently.

Samantha Puppy
09-22-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom

Which, if any, animal charities do you give to? I know it sounds bad, but I never give to human charities. I figure kids and adults alike can speak for themselves, or have someone fighting in their behalf. Animals need all the help they can get. ;)

I feel the exact same way.

pitc9
09-22-2004, 01:20 PM
I feel the same about human charties.... more people in the world help other people than they help animals.... what about the animals?

They are every bit as innocent as a child is!!!!

I guess that's what people like us are on earth for!:D

I give to Humane Soc of the United States, ASPCA, Guiding Eyes and my local shelters. I drop stuff off to them also.

micki76
09-22-2004, 01:23 PM
SPCA of Texas and ARK which is the rescue that I volunteer for.

Also if there's a special pet rescue that I see on the news that needs financial help, I always send them a check.

A while back there was a story about a woman who only took hard luck cases that needed surgeries, paid for them, and nursed the dogs back to health. She had several dogs waiting to have various ailments repaired, as well as several in various stages of healing. There was one that had had his front legs broken and they were never set. She was literally begging for money for him, before it was too late to do the surgery. My husband still doesn't know how much money I sent to her, and he never will. ;)

lizzielou742
09-22-2004, 01:30 PM
I just got out of college and have not had much money to donate until now. This year I donated to other charities but have not chosen an animal charity yet.

I have donated this year to:

* Ronald McDonald house (my parents stayed at one when I had a heart operation when I was 5 - I had a heart murmur, all better now)
* F.O.P. / Police department
* University of Kentucky (alma mater)

I can't decide if I want to donate to Louisville's local no-kill shelter or to the Humane Society of Shelby County, where I adopted Tito from.

wolf_Q
09-22-2004, 01:45 PM
I've donated to the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. They are the nation's largest no-kill animal sanctuary and they help all kinds of domestic animals like dogs, cats, rabbits, horses, etc. They also help set up No More Homeless pets programs across the nation.

I've gone to many local dog/pet events and donated to those as well.

PJ's Mom
09-22-2004, 02:07 PM
I also donate to Best Friends.

:)

KYS
09-22-2004, 05:26 PM
Animal: Doris Day foundation and the SPCA

Human: City of Hope, American Cancer society and
the Salvation Army.

Than I have odd and ends charities that I donate too.

Tollers-n-Dobes
09-22-2004, 05:30 PM
I donate dog food to the shelter usually. Sometimes we give them treats too:)

wolflady
09-22-2004, 05:52 PM
I donate to the ASPCA, HSUS, Defenders of Wildlife at least once a year.
I donate my time to my local animal shelter and often help out with pet fairs and events (we raised over $5000 last weekend at our rummage sale! YAY!), not to mention just giving some love to the animals at the shelter.

carole
09-22-2004, 06:00 PM
I try to give to the SPCA, but I mostly donate to the other no kill cat shelters by way of cans of food or the odd dollar when I can, I also try to give to the neurological foundation, as they do research they may eventually help a very bad hereditary disease in my family, cancer,(as my mother has had it), asthma society(as my son has it)arthritis foundation, and the salvation Army as they do so much good, there are so many, its very hard to pick and choose, but those are the ones I try to give to.

teenster3
09-22-2004, 11:54 PM
I feel the same way but does the money actually get to the correct people & used appropriately?
I always wonder if I donate will the money actually go to the cause!

carole
09-23-2004, 05:31 PM
Teenster3 I think some of the money would be absorbed in Admin costs, but a percentage would go to the charity, just not sure how much, I remember a lotto ticket you could buy here for $2.00 which claimed it went to charity, in actual fact only like 30cents went to the charity, one has to be careful.

QueenScoopalot
09-23-2004, 08:33 PM
Here's a good website to tuck away for future reference. ;)
http://www.charitynavigator.org/

Aspen and Misty
09-23-2004, 10:39 PM
I donate to my shelter, LOL :p

I have donated to the SPCA of Myrtle Beach where we got Connor from. I also have donated to the Lock Haven SPCA where we got Nova from.

Ashley

BitsyNaceyDog
09-24-2004, 07:09 AM
We give to the Orlando Union Rescue Mission to help feed homless people and to a local wild life rehab center.

lovemyshiba
09-24-2004, 09:33 AM
I donate to the ASPCA and to my local shelters, and the beagle rescue here, where we got Abbey from.