PDA

View Full Version : I yam what I yam!

RICHARD
09-22-2004, 12:44 PM
Spinach-aided solar power

US scientists say they have invented a device that uses spinach to convert sunlight into electricity.

Shuguang Zhang, at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, used spinach chloroplasts to make a solar energy cell.

Chloroplasts are packed with chlorophyll - the substance that gives leaves their green colour and allows them to photosynthesise.

"Nature has been doing this for billions of years," Zhang told New Scientist. "This is the first time we've been able to harness it."

The resulting cells are much thinner and lighter than existing solar panels and could eventually be used to make much more efficient panels, says Zhang.

Previous efforts to integrate the energy harnessing capability of chlorophyll with conventional electronics have failed because it normally requires a watery environment in which to work.

So far, the cells convert only 12% of light to electricity but Zhang says efficiency could be boosted dramatically by layering cells on top of one another.

----------------------------------------------------

Where's Popeye??

If nature's been doing this for billions of years and we have only discovered it recently, what does THAT say about humanity????

What's next?

World peace through artichokes???

:confused:

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-22-2004, 01:05 PM
Does that mean I won't have to EAT it anymore?;)

catland
09-22-2004, 01:08 PM
will it now be proper etiquette to point out to your lunch guest that they have a chloroplastic solar panel stuck to their teeth?:cool:

RICHARD
09-22-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by catland
will it now be proper etiquette to point out to your lunch guest that they have a chloroplastic solar panel stuck to their teeth?:cool:

LOLOLOLOL,

You have such an electric smile!!

slick
09-22-2004, 02:02 PM
Will eating spinach give me bigger biceps like Popeye??? :confused: ;)

lynnestankard
09-22-2004, 03:38 PM
Slick - Stop It!!!!! :D

Good grief - I like spinach - if I plug a light bulb in my ear would it light up?

Lynne