PDA

View Full Version : Xmas Card List - HOW to arrange it!

aly
09-21-2004, 03:09 PM
There is currently discussion in this thread:

http://67.15.70.205/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59252

Please vote on how you would prefer to do the Christmas list. I guess either way, there will be people left out.

Option 1:

Make a list with EVERYONE who wants to participate on it. Require that everyone who signs up sends a card to everybody on the list.

Option 2:

Make a list with EVERYONE who wants to participate on it. Don't require that people have to send to everyone on the list. Some people may send out bunches of cards and only get a few in return this way OR some may send out one or two and get tons in return.

Option 3:

Split the people who want to participate into DOG, CAT, and PET groups. So someone with dogs only would send only to the other people on the DOG list. People with multiple pets would either pick one group, or could sign up for all 3 if they wanted.

Option 4:

Randomly split everyone into groups of 10-20. Each group will be required to send to every other person in their specific group. You would receive a master list and could choose to send to a few friends in other groups if you choose.

Kfamr
09-21-2004, 03:12 PM
I voted for Option 1. I don't think it's fair to do it any other way.

DogLover9501
09-21-2004, 03:13 PM
I didn't want to, but I had to choose option 4 :( Because my family can never afford to spend that much on anything except things that are really needed, especially around Christmas, I do wish I could send to everyone, however

lizzielou742
09-21-2004, 03:13 PM
I voted for option 4 but I'll do it however you all decide!

Samantha Puppy
09-21-2004, 03:14 PM
I don't have time (or money!) to send out cards to everyone who would be on the list and if that's the way it ended up going, I'd have to respectfully back out. I think the second option is the best way to go.

aly
Originally posted by Kfamr

So did I :)

DogLover9501

Kay--I think the others are still a bit more fair than not being able to do it at all because you can't spare the money.

Kfamr
09-21-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by DogLover9501
Kay--I think the others are still a bit more fair than not being able to do it at all because you can't spare the money.

I have to respectfully disagree. Like I said in the other thread -- what if those people who really want to send to the whole PT FAMILY do so, but only recieve 10-20 cards?

I just do not like our Pet Talk family being split up with things like this, nor do I think it's fair to those who want to participate and send to everyone.

If you can't spare the money and send to everyone, then possibly you can just get addresses of your close friends and send cards to them instead.

ramanth
09-21-2004, 03:26 PM
I voted for option 1.

Now...say you can't afford to send to the whole list. Then pick the people you DO want to send too and send them an email or a PM asking for their address and agree to swap X-mas cards. That way, you're sending to who you want and getting a card in return and only the two of you have to know about it.

:)

jazzcat
09-21-2004, 03:28 PM
Boy this is tough. I haven't voted yet because I'm waiting to see how everyone debates this out. I'm sure there are good/bads points for every option.

If the list is going to be split I think it's better to do it randomly than by dogs, cats, etc.

molucass
09-21-2004, 03:31 PM
Even though I probably won't be able to participate if we have to send to everyone, I DID vote for Option 1.

I think thats the only fair way to do it...

I'll probably do what was suggested and ask for address of certain people and send cards to them, but with everything that is going on right now, I just wouldn't have the time or money to send to every single person that signs up.

Personally, I think any way its done, someone is going to have hurt feelings... but thats usually just the way things go.

However, I think if its going to be split up, then its better for it to be split randomly than for it to be done by the dog, cat, or pet groups of people.

micki76
09-21-2004, 04:08 PM
I have to respectfully disagree. Like I said in the other thread -- what if those people who really want to send to the whole PT FAMILY do so, but only recieve 10-20 cards?

I just do not like our Pet Talk family being split up with things like this, nor do I think it's fair to those who want to participate and send to everyone.

If you can't spare the money and send to everyone, then possibly you can just get addresses of your close friends and send cards to them instead.

I agree. I think it should be all or nothing. If you can't do all, do like Kay said and exchange addresses with the people you want to exchange with and let everyone else participate in a group exchange.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-21-2004, 04:37 PM
I don't think #2 should even be an option - it's just not fair. Say I spend a ton of money and time to send out to everyone, but others spend less than $5.00 and about an hours worth of time to send to only their friends - not fair, plain and simple.

I like the idea of splitting it up into dog, cat and pet, but that would be an awful lot of work for somebody to coordinate, so really, #1 is the only option.

Like others have said, if you don't have the money to send to all, just PM those who you wan to exchange with and make it a private thing. But if you're going to be part of the big list, it's all or nothing. In my opinion anyway.

Oh, and one last thought. Even though I don't spend much time on the dog side, I still enjoyed getting/sending cards to people I might not know that well. It gave me a chance to get to know them better and to maybe make a side trip over to the dog side to check their "kids" out. So my point is that even though you may not know somebody from the "other side" very well, I don't think it's a good enough reason to split the list up.

Randi
09-21-2004, 04:38 PM
I'm just wondering ..... if the the list turns out to be 125 people, would you still send to everybody. :confused:

aly
09-21-2004, 04:45 PM
I don't *think* it'd be 125 people. If it is, I would send to all, BUT I couldn't do pictures and personalized messages in all of those. So I guess it would change things a little for me, but I'd still send to everyone.

If people want to, they can wait until just before the deadline to sign up. Then you can get an idea for how many people signed up. (Hopefully there wouldn't be like 30 people waiting til the last minute, hehe).

The first year, I think there were like 25 people on the list. Its been growing every year, but I don't think it'd jump to over 80 people just yet.

micki76
09-21-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Randi
I'm just wondering ..... if the the list turns out to be 125 people, would you still send to everybody. :confused:

Yes Randi, I would. If I commit to it, I'm fully prepared for what may very well end up being an enormous Xmas list. It's one of the points I had typed up in the intro thread that I've since deleted. I said that there were 60+ last year, and that that number could dramatically increase, so joining the exchange was a decision not to be made lightly.

Miss Meow
09-21-2004, 05:05 PM
I am going to sit on the fence at the moment. I'd love to participate as the last two years have been a great experience, but if it's more than 50 participants I'll probably bow out and send some cards personally.

Karen
09-21-2004, 06:19 PM
I wish everyone could afford to send to everyone. Hmm - is the cost concern all postgae, or the cards, or both? Is the fun in getting something in the mail for many days, or is the fun getting something from lots of different people, even if it's the same day?

I dunno. I guess it'd be an awful lot of work for a central person to gather all the cards that could be mailed in one big package FROM each person, sort them all into piles, and mail the respective piles TO each person.

Perhaps the list could include everyone, one big list, but there could be an asterisk* next to people's names who can only send out a limited number of cards? That way, you could choose whether or not to send something to that person, knowing ahead of time that you might not get anything from them.

That way everyone can participate, and you'd know that, say, you should expect cards from 37 people, but that there are 13 that, if you get, will be a surprise? Would that work?

captain
09-21-2004, 08:18 PM
I picked Option 4 - out of consideration to those of you who MAY want to participate, but cannot for various reasons.

I, however, will still send to all. I would rather send, and receive from 10 than from none.
Last year I sent all my cards, and got a card from everyone ....... which was great.

This year, if I only get 10 - so be it. To me, it is the thought that counts, not the amount of cards I get (although last year my lounge looked fabulous!!!!!)

Happy to go with whatever.

PJ's Mom
09-21-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
I don't have time (or money!) to send out cards to everyone who would be on the list and if that's the way it ended up going, I'd have to respectfully back out. I think the second option is the best way to go.

Agreed. :)

anna_66
09-21-2004, 09:24 PM
Is there any way that it could be split up like this:

Group 1: ones that can only send to 10-20 people.

Group 2: ones who want to send to the whole list.

That way you would give as many as you receive which ever group your in.

I of course loved getting all the cards and making my own to give out so I would send to everyone.

Felicia's Mom
09-21-2004, 09:58 PM
I already have my cards and will go along with any decision made.

MariaM
09-21-2004, 10:06 PM
I voted for Option 4, because I do not have the money to send to all, but I really want to participate. I'm not sure, some of the other ideas seem good too though, that Karen and Anna brought up.

teenster3
09-21-2004, 10:33 PM
No one probably cares what I have to say but I think it's only "fair" if you sign up to send out cards, then take that responsibility and do it.
I'm not trying to be bitter in saying that, it's just when you expect to to receive something it's nice to give also.
I'm not saying that I have loads of money either. I just think it's a "great idea." I haven't been on here too long but from the sounds of it, I think it would bring people together to remember that life isn't awful all the time & it's nice to be thought of once in awhile.
(I apologize if this doesn't make much since. I'm on meds right now that make me kinda loopy but I'm sure you get my point. )
All I know is I (personally) would be hurt if I signed up to give out cards & nobody sent any to me in return. I know that many, many people on here have created GREAT friendships & that's wonderful but, what about the rest of us???
I know postage can get very expensive but, I don't think it would be hard to save up some money (little by little) to send everyone a card.
I usually just peak at the general & pet or dog poll sites but, I am willing to send to anyone.....dogs, cats, snakes (although that's not my strong point:p ).
So to wrap this up I voted for #1 but that's just my opinion.:)
Tina

krazyaboutkatz
09-21-2004, 10:35 PM
I've really enjoyed being a part of the PT Christmas card exchange the past 2 years and I'm looking forward to it again this year.:)
I voted for option #1 because I want to send to everyone and receive from everyone on the list. I enjoy making my cards and creating a photo to go along with them. I don't send very many cards to family and friends so without the PT Christmas card exchange I'd be sending and receiving very few cards. I hope we'll be able to work something out that will please everyone.:)

wolf_Q
09-21-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by ramanth
I voted for option 1.

Now...say you can't afford to send to the whole list. Then pick the people you DO want to send too and send them an email or a PM asking for their address and agree to swap X-mas cards. That way, you're sending to who you want and getting a card in return and only the two of you have to know about it.

:)

I completely agree! I think this is the *only* fair way to do it IMO. If you don't want to send to everyone, then contact those you want to send to.

There are ways to do this cheaper. :) You can get postcards, as it's cheaper to send postcards. You can just print your cards yourself on regular paper. I printed my own last year (on some cheap paper made for cards) and I thought for sure it would run out my cartridge...but it didn't...I'm still using the same printer cartridge and it's just now running out of color! I know you can find boxes of X-mas cards cheap too, just look around! Especially at those after Thanksgiving sales!

I sent my overseas cards some weird way...it was with FedEX or something (I was at a mailing place that uses all the different services) and it actually cost *less* to mail those than the ones in the US. You could start mailing out cards maybe 10 a week before Thanksgiving that way the cost would be spread out. Just giving out ideas here! :) I barely make over minimum wage and I have been able to afford it!

tomkatzid
09-22-2004, 02:30 AM
I voted for #1
Katz

jenluckenbach
09-22-2004, 05:02 AM
My personal opinion is to send to ALL, but I can see where some people simply could not afford to do that. (youngsters, people across the ocean, heck even I couldn't afford it last year.)

So here is another suggestion.

Divide all the names into even groups of 15 of less (depedning on how many sign up). Then each person can decide how many group lists they can afford to send to. This hopefully would prevent just picking out your favorite people off the master list (which is what would happen with choice #2)

It would be a bit of work for the organizer because the groups should be split fairly. dog people, cat people, pet people, young people, new users, well known people......should be represented in each list so there is a variety of people to send to. (again, preventing sending only to your friends)

Just my 2 cents.

lynnestankard
09-22-2004, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by Randi

That's the problem Randi - I think the thing that bothers me is the HUGE amount of postage - as a big percent of the list is American/Canadian and for us Europeans it definately is a deciding factor.

But on the other hand - it has been so lovely the past two years having such beautiful cards from all Pet Talkers.

Oh C%£p - decisions, decisions, decisions :eek: :o :eek:

Lynne

aly
09-22-2004, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach

So here is another suggestion.

Divide all the names into even groups of 15 of less (depedning on how many sign up). Then each person can decide how many group lists they can afford to send to. This hopefully would prevent just picking out your favorite people off the master list (which is what would happen with choice #2)

That is exactly what option #4 is.

I said groups of 10-20 only because I didn't know exactly how many would be in each group yet (would depend on how many signed up).

dukedogsmom
09-22-2004, 06:49 AM
I have to vote 3 or 4. I hate to but I think that's the only way I can do it this year. If the most people want to send to everyone, I'll just have to back out. I would love to send to all but it's just not possible for me :(

Logan
09-22-2004, 07:14 AM
Time is more of an issue for me than the postage costs. I voted for the 4th option. But I will respect the wishes of the group, whatever you all decide. :)

pitc9
09-22-2004, 07:44 AM
I voted for #1

lbaker
09-22-2004, 08:06 AM
I would say #1, although last year I got a bit more than half way through my list before I had a very sad RB dog incident and got the serious blues and could not continue. I think post cards are a great idea if one can't afford a card, envelope and stamp expense. I also think Mayor Karen's idea has great potential... maybe let's see how many end up on the "master list". I still have names and addresses (assuming they haven't changed) from the last several years so I had planned on sending cards even if we didn't have a master plan. As someone else mentioned, I don't really have other friends or family beside you all so this is a definate high-light of the season for me.
Laurie

dukedogsmom
09-22-2004, 10:27 AM
If the list is no bigger than last year, I could probably do it. Apprx 50 people or so. I guess we do need to get this resolved, though. I can start saving now so it won't be bad. I really did enjoy getting them all last year. So, I'll quit fence sitting and just vote for one. I'm going to use a photo from last year to put on the cards.

trayi52
09-22-2004, 11:05 AM
I would love to do this, but I just can't afford to send to everybody unless the list was small.

Willie

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-22-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by lynnestankard
That's the problem Randi - I think the thing that bothers me is the HUGE amount of postage - as a big percent of the list is American/Canadian and for us Europeans it definately is a deciding factor.

A suggestion for those over seas. I know what one PT'er did last year was find a US "sponsor." Then she sent all her cards to that one person, along with some money for US stamps I would assume, then the US person sent the cards out through the US mail. I think this might be much cheaper because you would just pay once to have a box of cards sent, and then just the 37 cents for a stamp instead of the overseas rate. Of course, this would mean that you would have to have your cards done way ahead of time to get the box a chance to get here then get the cards a chance to get out, but if you can do that, I'm sure there would be "somebody" (wink, wink) who might be willing to help. :D

jenluckenbach
09-22-2004, 01:37 PM
Sorry, But my suggestion is NOT the same as number 4. I guess what I should have said was #4 except that you can have the option of choosing 1 list or 2 lists or 3 lists. As some people can only afford a group of 10 others might be able to do a group of 20. THAT is where I had the difference.

Cinder & Smoke
09-22-2004, 02:03 PM
There *IS* another way to cut the "costs" that hasn't been mentioned ~

Make the "Master List" with TWO sections >

One Section with MAIL Addresses ... and
Another Section with E-mail Addresses ...
Note: E-mail addresses should be listed for ALL participants.

Leave it up to each participant WHICH Half of
the list they wish to be on.

Folks who wish to send Greetings by E-mail can either
"build" their own card with pictures or artwork;
or use one of the Many Internet "E-card" web sites which are available.

Food for Thought.

/s/ Phred

lbaker
09-22-2004, 02:27 PM
So simple any phool should have thought of it (no Phred, I'm not calling anyone a phool :rolleyes: ;) ) HOORAY for Phred :D

aly
09-22-2004, 02:32 PM
Well in the past we've had the e-mail list seperate from the snail mail card list. Personally I think it works better that way because it is less work on the organizers.

aly
09-22-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
Sorry, But my suggestion is NOT the same as number 4.

Yeeek, sorry I misunderstood the way you explained it then :eek:

(It is practically the same though cause there is no rule saying you can't request to be in several of the groups :o )

Edwina's Secretary
09-22-2004, 02:47 PM
I voted for number 2....I don't send cards to receive cards anymore than I give gifts in order to receive them. And I understand the expense issue.

In addition to the suggestion Debbie made....Postcards...which is what Christmas cards were originally....only cost .26 to mail. That's an .11 savings each!

ScantyNebula
09-22-2004, 03:39 PM
I chose option 4 because I'm broke at the moment .. if things changed I would choose option 1

ScantyNebula
09-22-2004, 03:49 PM
Postcards!! Never thought of that .. what a great idea ...

Uabassoon
09-22-2004, 03:53 PM
I voted for the first choice, I think it's the most fair choice. However I think I'll do what I did last year and just ask a few people for their address because I can't afford to send it to everyone so it wouldn't be right for me to sign up if I can't send to everyone.

Cinder & Smoke
09-22-2004, 04:39 PM
...in the past we've had the e-mail list seperate
from the snail mail card list.

...because it is less work on the organizers.

Submission Form:

--------------------------------------------------
Full NAME: _____________________

PT Screen Name: _____________________

Snail-Mail Address: _____________________
City: _______________________
State & Zip: _______________________

E-Mail Address: _______________________

I will be sending Holiday Greetings via >>

____POSTAL MAIL ... ______E-Mail

(Please mark the Method YOU will use to Send Greetings.)
--------------------------------------------------

PM One Time to the Organizer -

He/She Copy & Paste One Time to the Master List + and +

*Paste* supplied E-mail Address to the mailing list...

ONE (Two-Section) List is sent out to each participant.

*DONE* ;)

:D

/s/ Phred

Kfamr
09-22-2004, 04:43 PM
Or how about someone else just creates and e-mail list.

*edited to add*

The thing about recieving more cards, than just 10-20 or whatever. That's the most fun, recieving cards from different people, especially when they personailze them and so on. It makes Christmas MUCH more enjoyable.

dukedogsmom
09-22-2004, 04:44 PM
I think someone else should do the email list. Aly has enough to do. And I do think they should be separate.

micki76
09-22-2004, 04:51 PM
Aly and I are going to be working on the snail mail list. Perhaps someone who is interested in the email list should organize that one?

heinz57_79
09-22-2004, 08:36 PM
I voted for #4, after reading 4 pages of debate. I think #4 is fair, and a good way to be sure that EVERYONE can participate and no one gets left out. I think getting getting 10 or 20 cards is better than not being able to participate at all. Not everyone can afford to buy and mail cards for 60+ people, as much as they would want to.

Nomilynn
09-22-2004, 08:42 PM
regarding the email swap..

Last year there was NO email swap, because the year before that viruses were sent along. A lot of those free card sites have spyware and popups. An email swap might not be safe.

edited to add..

It is EXTREMELY hard work on the organisers to have to do BOTH lists. I'm glad Aly and Micki are declining to do the email list.

Kfamr
09-22-2004, 08:45 PM
A small picture of their pets and possibly a little sentance or two is all that's really needed for e-mail cards. :) They don't have to be some animated e-card site's cards.