PDA

View Full Version : Aly - how's Chance doing today?

jazzcat
09-21-2004, 02:20 PM
I'm so worried about him.:(

aly
09-21-2004, 03:18 PM
Me too :( :( :( I have a queasy stomach and chest pains because I'm very stressed and worried. I've called the vet to see if I can work out a payment plan so I don't have to pay it all at once. They are going to call me back soon and then I'll take him in. He just needs fluids and whatever shots they gave him last time I think.

He's still lethargic (although he will follow me to another room if I'm gone for too long) and he's not eating or drinking. He held his head over the water and kept sniffing it, but didn't drink :( :( :( :( This seems exactly what he had last time.

jazzcat
09-21-2004, 03:20 PM
Oh no! I had hoped you would have some good news.:( Please let me know how it goes at the vet.

More prayers on the way.

lizzielou742
09-21-2004, 03:42 PM
I hope you can get him on a payment plan. That would make things a lot easier on you. Is he eating? Is he going to the bathroom OK? :( Poor Chance. Poor you! Were you up all night last night? :( So he's going to the vet today? I will be thinking of you all...be sure to update us after you get back, whenever you can.

aly
09-21-2004, 03:43 PM
I'm freaking out. I've got to go pick up a foster dog this evening too :( :( I'd REALLY rather not and I would cancel it, but the shelter is being evacuated to have the ducts cleaned for the first time in 15 years. Most of the dogs are going to a boarding facility with a pool and agility courses. But the special needs and sick ones are all going to fosters. I am going to fall down from stress.

I just squirted a tiny bit of Pedialyte into Chance. Not very much because I don't want him to get sick. But I'm afraid he'll get sick if he doesn't have any too :( UGH!

I'm thankful for my boyfriend. He's going to help me by watching the new foster dog and my other animals while I take Chance to the vet. Chance may also go spend a couple nights with my boyfriend because his house is much quieter.

jazzcat
09-21-2004, 03:47 PM
((((HUGS)))) Aly!!!!

aly
09-21-2004, 11:41 PM
I called the vet on my way to pick up my new foster dog and they told me to come on by. 20 minutes later, I pulled in and they had all left the office!!! :mad:

I took Chance to the shelter though and got some fluids in him. Then later at home, he did eat and drink.

I've been under so much stress lately, I forgot to get his temperature :o so I'm going to run him to the vet tomorrow and get it done. If he has a fever, I'll get him the magical shots and hopefully he'll be back to normal.

He usually gets so excited with the foster dogs, but he won't even get up for this one :(

wolf_Q
09-22-2004, 12:17 AM
Ugh that sucks that they had already gone! At least he is eating/drinking. I hope he doesn't have a fever. :(

jazzcat
09-22-2004, 12:37 AM
That is terrible that they left after telling you to come. I'm glad to hear he is drinking and eating.

Please keep us posted and try not to stress and worry too much. How bout letting me do that for ya!;)

Barbara
09-22-2004, 02:56 AM
I missed all that yesterday evening but was worried about Chance all the time. Aly you have so much on your plate!
Scritchies to you and hugs to Chance- or should it be the other way;) (Just a lame try to cheer you up a little:) )

catcrazylady
09-22-2004, 06:00 AM
Oh no! So much going on that I missed!
Oh Aly I'm so sorry that you have so much going on at once but it sounds like you have everything under control. How RUDE of the vets to tell you to come and then not be there!:mad:
I'm glad to hear that Chance ate and drank after getting some fluids. I'm sending prayers your way and I hope we have better news this morning.
{{{{HUGS}}}} to you Aly and special little tender {{{HUGS}}} for Chance.
Keep us posted.

catnapper
09-22-2004, 07:02 AM
Aly, I too missed this thread! {{{{HUGS}}}} I am praying for Chance and I hope today's update will be better!

lizzielou742
09-22-2004, 07:05 AM
I hope Chance is feeling better today!

catmandu
09-22-2004, 08:36 AM
The Found Cats,are ALL Praying,for thier Partee Pal,Chance,and hope,that he is BETTER SOON!

momoffuzzyfaces
09-22-2004, 11:49 AM
Prayers on the way and all fingers and paws crossed here that Chance feels better real soon!

aly
09-22-2004, 03:05 PM
Thanks everyone.

I'm nervous about the vet appointment. Hopefully all will go well :( He's shown no improvement today and he might be a tad worse. I'm trying to stay positive right now though.

lynnestankard
09-22-2004, 03:13 PM
Oh Aly this is just so sad - I'm keeping him in my thoughts and prayers {{{Hugs}}}

Lynne

jazzcat
09-22-2004, 03:31 PM
Aly - when is his appointment today?

I was really hoping he was doing better.:(

More hugs for Chance.

ChrisH
09-22-2004, 03:47 PM
Oh, Aly, {{hugs}} Prayers and positive thoughts on the way for Chance.

aly
09-22-2004, 04:17 PM
I'm taking him in about an hour and 45 minutes (6pm my time). Today is going by VERY slowly.

Kater
09-22-2004, 08:00 PM
Chancey boy is still in my prayers!

aly
09-22-2004, 10:17 PM
We're home from the vet and doing well.

They gave Chance two injections of pain killer/fever reducer stuff and gave him some more fluids and antibiotics. We still basically don't know the cause of this. The doctor listed several possibilities. For now, I just wanted to treat the symptoms and then take him in later for more extensive tests. He'll probably have an ultrasound and extensive bloodwork first.

Chance is more alert since we've been home. Even his eyes look much better. They were so sad looking before (if they were even open :( ). He's gone to his food bowl several times in the past hour and he's gotten up several times to go give his best (canine) bud Reece some headbumpies. He even jumped up in a chair to lay for awhile instead of just in a heap on the floor.

I'm approaching with caution, but very optimistic :) I'm just worried about trying to find the underlying cause for this and then finding a home who will be willing to take it on if its something bad. I don't *think* it will be too bad, but I'm not sure. His last episode was in December, so its been 9 months since then. I'm going to do some research. Hopefully that and his further tests will help me figure out what is going on. He is a VERY special boy and has a huge spot in my heart. I don't know what I would do if anything happened to him.

jazzcat
09-22-2004, 10:22 PM
Aly, thanks for the update. I've been checking back every hour or so waiting to hear. It's amazing how attached I am to that little boy and I've never even met him in person.

I hope the cause of this can be determined and a cure given. I'm really happy to hear he's giving some headbumpies and moving around more.

I know I say this everytime but (((HUGS))) to you and Chance.

aly
09-22-2004, 10:24 PM
Thank you so much Lori. You've always been a great emotional support to me and my gray&white boys! Chance and I send many hugs and headbumpies back to you!

lizzielou742
09-22-2004, 10:31 PM
I'm glad to hear he's eating and feeling better. :) Hope you and the vet can get to the bottom of it soon!

krazyaboutkatz
09-22-2004, 10:50 PM
Aly, I'm so sorry to hear that Chance is sick again.:( I sure hope that you'll be able to find out the reason and that it's something that's treatable and hopefully cureable. Prayers and positive thoughts are on the way. Please take care.

wolf_Q
09-22-2004, 10:58 PM
I'm glad that Chance is more alert now. Let us know what you find out with the bloodwork and ultrasound! Give him some scratches for me!

micki76
09-22-2004, 11:11 PM
I'm so glad to hear he's perked up a bit. Poor little fella. :(

catcrazylady
09-23-2004, 05:45 AM
Aly I'm so very glad to hear some good news about Chance. Poor little guy must really be feeling rotten. I know my kitties are so pitiful when they get a fever.
Prayers are still coming your way that Chance gets all better and the white coats can figure out what the problem is.

Big {{{HUGS}}} to you and Chance. It's awful to be sick and it's just as bad to have to watch the one you love hurt. Hang in there Aly and keep us posted.

ChrisH
09-23-2004, 06:48 AM
It's good to hear he is feeling a bit better. :)

Keeping him in my prayers and thoughts.

{{hugs}}

Barbara
09-23-2004, 06:52 AM
I am glad to hear that Chance is feeling a little bit better:)

I hope you will be able to find out more- plus that it's nothing serious.

Headbumpies from Filou and Tigris to Chance:)

Randi
09-23-2004, 07:39 AM
I missed this yesterday - sorry! I'm glad to hear that Chance is doing a bit better now, hope he'll continue to improve! Jumping up in the chair is a positive sign. :)

Gentle headbumpies and scritchies to Chance!

Kona & Oreo's mom
09-23-2004, 09:24 AM
Poor Chance. I hope that you can determine what is wrong soon, and that treatment will be easy. Feel better soon, Chance!

aly
09-23-2004, 10:44 AM
Ugh, Chance isn't better. His fever is gone, but he's still pretty much just laying around. He is better from how he was, but he's not himself at all. I don't know what is wrong with him and I don't know what I'm gonna do :( :( :( :( :(

lizzielou742
09-23-2004, 10:51 AM
Oh, no. Aly, I am so sorry Chance is still feeling bad, and you feel helpless. I know you must be dying to just make it all go away for him, somehow. At least his fever is down and he's not in any immediate danger, so that's a good sign. When does he go in for the ultrasound/bloodwork? Does the vet have ANY idea what it could be? :confused: Poor l'il guy. :(

micki76
09-23-2004, 10:58 AM
Aly, he may just still not be feeling 100%. I know a fever wipes me out for a while, even after it's gone.

Is he eating and drinking again?

I know you must be stressed out. I wish I lived closer and could help you out. :(

aly
09-23-2004, 11:00 AM
I was going to wait a few weeks for his further testing because I just don't have the money to do it all right now. I was hoping to get what he needed to get done now, then do the other things as I could. I had just thought he would be better by today because thats what happened last time. But last time he had already been sick 5 days by the time this certain vet saw him and helped him (he had seen another vet before that who didn't help us). He had also been on antibiotics last time for a few days before going to the second vet, so maybe I just need to wait for the antibiotics to kick in. I just gave him his first pill today. I'm just really scared and freaking out right now :(

micki76
09-23-2004, 11:12 AM
It may take a little longer to see some results. He needs to have those antibiotics in him for a day or two before they'll kick in, but I know it's so hard to see them sick.

{{{{{Hugs}}}}}

aly
09-23-2004, 11:19 AM
Thanks. I know I need to calm down and give the meds time to work. I always start thinking what if they don't work, what if he dies, etc etc. *deep breath* I think I'll upload some of the pictures I took of my other babies taking turns watching him while he had his fever.

Cinder & Smoke
09-23-2004, 11:59 AM
PURRayerys for lil Chance!!

Hey Aly ~~

Have the Vets considered or tested for THIS >>>

(Taken form the Lucky/Cheech Thread)

Doc Lavergne just checked in ...

She said his blood tests *point* towards it being "Haemobartonella" -
or "Hemobartonellosis" - an infection of the blood.

Read all about it at >>>
VetInfo - Hemobartonellosis (http://www.vetinfo.com/catpara.html#Hemobartonellosis)

They changed his Antibiotic Meds and he immediately started to
respond to the New Meds!! :)

Chance's "symptoms" are Very Similar to Lucky's...

1) Very lethargic - would hardy *move* other than to lift his head -
wouldn't or couldn't walk...

2) Very High Temp = ~ 103 or so

3) Glassy eyes, not responsive to light

4) Just acted completely "worn out"...

Lucky was given Antibiotics - and within a 24 hour period he
*perked up* and seemed to be recovering;
temp went down a little; and he moved around on his own...
THEN he Suddenly "crashed" again - fever UP, no voluntary movement.

The Clinic in LA did blood tests - and the results *pointed* towards
the condition mentioned above...

Doc CHANGED his Antibiotic Med and within hours he was
showing great improvement - temp down to 99.5 and starting to
move around on his own.

Since the Antibiotic "change" - Lucky has NOT had any relapses.

Luck is being treated at:
Animal Care Center
14101 W Club Deluxe Rd
Hammond, LA 70403

Phone: (985) 542-6300

Primary Vet = Dr. Kate Adams
Back-up Vet = Dr. Melanie Lavergne

BOTH Vets are Very Kind - you or Chance's Vet
might want to call and speak to one of them.
(Mention "Lucky, da Pet Talk Kat" to break the ice!) ;)

GOOD LUCK to You and Chance!! ;)

/s/ Phred

aly
09-23-2004, 12:37 PM
Thanks Phred,

I might call them if Chance doesn't respond to these antibiotics. I only gave his first pill this morning though so I'll give it another day or two. I really appreciate the information and I'll go read up on it.

Chance's temperature was 104.8 yesterday. Last time he had this problem though, it was 106.5 :( It is TERRIBLE when they have fevers .. it just completely wears them out.

lizzielou742
09-23-2004, 01:56 PM
I had no idea their temperatures could go that high. I'll be keep you guys in my thoughts.
~Liz

aly
09-23-2004, 02:42 PM
All of my food and water bowls are upstairs but Chance has been spending most of his time downstairs (its more quiet down there and I think he needs his rest). I just went and gave him his own little bowls of food and water and he sat up and started eating :) I even got some of his little purrs. He curled back up and went back to sleep, but I'm hoping he'll be okay when those antibiotics kick in and he's had more rest.

jazzcat
09-23-2004, 06:35 PM
Oh Aly, I'm sorry. I've been with my Dad all day and this is the first chance I've gotten to check on my baked bean boy. Not exactly what I wanted to hear.:(

I do think it will just take time. Some antibiotics have to build up in the system to really start working so that is probably the case here. As long as is isn't getting worse and he's finally eating and drinking a little (and purring) I bet you will see a big turn around soon.

Any idea on how much the ultrasound and blood tests will cost?

lizzielou742
09-23-2004, 06:44 PM
Awww Aly your new sig is adorable. He's so cute!

:)

kimlovescats
09-23-2004, 07:23 PM
Prayers that the vet will find what is ailing Chance and get him all better soon!!!;)

(((HUGS)))
Kim

aly
09-23-2004, 09:30 PM
I don't know how much it'll cost Lori. The vet didn't think it was crucial to do them right away though. If Chance doesn't get better within the next day or so, I will definately find a way to get him EVERY test he needs even if it means selling the clothes off my back and walking around naked!

Even though I've been discouraged that he isn't 100% better, he is still much better from yesterday so that is a good thing. He's still sleeping a lot, but he will wake up now and he's being a little perkier. When I last checked on him, he started mewing at me and stood up to rub on me :D :D :D He's back to resting now though. Hopefully tomorrow will be even better. And I am SO glad I got the pills and a pill gun this time instead of the liquid. With the liquid, I practically had to sit on him to get it down his throat!!! He doesn't even fight with the pill gun though. I squirted a little water into his mouth after I gave him the pill to be sure he swallowed it and he started spitting and gagging and being the biggest drama queen EVER! I think he thought he was getting antibiotics, but then he finally realized it was just water. Hehehe

aly
09-23-2004, 11:15 PM
Chance just came upstairs!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its the first time he's really moved all day! I think this is a great sign :D

(I am worried because he is hissing at the dogs though. REALLY weird for him since he loves them so much. I think my foster Alexia must have stepped on him while he was laying on the floor earlier today though. He seems really sensitive in his stomach area so maybe she stepped on a sore spot of his).

I'm trying not to worry TOO much though because this is great that he's got up by himself and came up here to see everyone!

jazzcat
09-23-2004, 11:22 PM
:D :D :D
That's great Aly!

wolf_Q
09-23-2004, 11:24 PM
Yaay Chance!! I'm glad he's moving around more, hope that means he's feeling better! Maybe he's just not in the mood for nosey dogs, he just wants some lovin' from you! :)

aly
09-23-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
Maybe he's just not in the mood for nosey dogs, he just wants some lovin' from you! :)

Yeah, I hope so. I think its so unfortunate that he wasn't healthy when he met Alexia because he would really love her. Lucky and Alexia are practically inseperable and Lucky usually doesn't spend that much time cuddling with the dogs like he does to her.

That was the first time I've heard Chance hiss :(

jazzcat
09-23-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by aly
That was the first time I've heard Chance hiss :(
That's okay, you should hear me when I'm sick.

aly
09-23-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by jazzcat
That's okay, you should hear me when I'm sick.

HEHE! Ok I just realized how I am when I'm sick and I told Chancey its okay and he can hiss all he wants!

(He jumped up on the little half wall in my room and he's sitting up next to Shiloh :D )

*edit* Now he's back down and eating again :) :) Lots of moving!

jazzcat
09-23-2004, 11:45 PM
Oh Aly, I'm so glad he is perking up!!!! Richard and I went to dinner tonight to celebrate our wedding anniversary (it was actually yesterday) and all I could do was talk about Chance. He was so sweet to listen to me go on about him and he was even trying to help me come up with ideas to help. I think he has finally realized how attached I am to this little sweetie I've never even met.:)

aly
09-23-2004, 11:55 PM
Awww, your husband sounds about as sweet as you are!

Thank you so much for all the kind words and good vibes sent this way.

I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown and don't know what I would've done without you guys!

I really wish you could meet Chance Lori. I can't even describe how sweet of a cat he is. He was headbumping the vet in the face!! And Chance pulled off his stethascope and started headbumping his chest, hehee!

(HAPPY late ANNIVERSARY)

Barbara
09-24-2004, 02:13 AM
First thing in the morning: How is Chance?
And I am so happy to hear he's getting better. Even the hissing is not such a bad sign. And I'm very grumpy too when I'm sick:D

I hope all our thoughts help at last:)

lynnestankard
09-24-2004, 03:33 AM
Just checking in Aly to get the 'uppieddate' on Chance.

The hissing sounds very positive! I know how I feel when I'm poorly - can't stand anyone near me - it's a case of 'Leave me ALONE'!

And the little fella came upstairs! WOW! That must be a good sign - and having a little 'sit' with Shiloh - sounds very positive.
Bet he was exchausted afterwards!

Sending buckets of good vibes and prayers for Chance - and a great BIG {{{HUG}}} for his Meowmie xxxx

Lynne

lizzielou742
09-24-2004, 07:36 AM
Glad to hear he's moving around. That plus eating is definitely a good sign! :)

ramanth
09-24-2004, 10:51 AM
Happy to hear that Chance is perking up. :)

aly
09-25-2004, 07:27 PM
Just thought I'd let you guys know that Chance knocked over a glass of water today, got stuck in the blinds, and played in the dog food. I'll let you guys decide if he's feeling better :D :D :D ;)

jazzcat
09-25-2004, 07:39 PM
:D :D
Music to my ears!

auggie
09-25-2004, 08:36 PM
I’m so glad that Chance is feeling better.
He is such a handsome boy.
:)

micki76
09-25-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by aly
Just thought I'd let you guys know that Chance knocked over a glass of water today, got stuck in the blinds, and played in the dog food. I'll let you guys decide if he's feeling better :D :D :D ;)

LOL, glad he's back in action. :D

All in all, sounds like a pretty good day. ;)

slick
09-25-2004, 10:24 PM
What great news Aly!!! You must be so relieved.:)

Barbara
09-26-2004, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by aly

:D :D :D

This is how I love my cats- always in trouble- and for sure healthy:D

Killearn Kitties
09-26-2004, 06:04 AM
Aww, everything back to normal? :D :D

wolf_Q
09-26-2004, 07:05 PM
Glad to hear Chance is feeling better!! :D

kimlovescats
09-26-2004, 09:12 PM
LOL!!! Atta boy, Chance!!!:D

rg_girlca
09-26-2004, 11:12 PM
Oh Chance, that's a good boy.:D You just get yourself back to 100% sweetie.

So glad to hear he is doing much better.:)

aly
09-27-2004, 12:59 AM
Each day that goes by, it is getting harder and harder to get that pill down his throat :eek: But I am loving every minute of our daily medicine battle because that means he is feeling good :D :D :D

Thank you everyone for your wonderful support. It means soooooooooooooooo much to me!

NoahsMommy
09-27-2004, 01:25 AM
Aly,

I'm sorry I'm late in posting in this thread. :( But, I'm glad Chance seems to be on his way to recovery. Poor guy, poor you.

Take care, sweeties!

Love,
Kelly

Kirsten
09-27-2004, 05:50 AM
Aly, I too missed this thread (since I haven't been around much lately), and I'm sorry for this!

Sounded so scary in the beginning, but I'm glad that Chance is feeling so much better now!! :) But you still don't know what the cause was? While reading, I had the same thought Cinder & Smoke had, about the haemobartonella, what poor Lucky had...

However, I'm happy that Chance is on his road of recovery; and I'll hope he'll soon be friends with the dogs again. Thanks a lot for caring for him!!! :)

Kirsten

catcrazylady
09-27-2004, 09:16 AM
Great news!!! It's a pain when they fight the meds but you are right about him feeling better. Keep getting stronger Chance!! We love ya handsome!!!:D