PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Observations

Fox-Gal
09-21-2004, 11:48 AM
Someone e-mailed this to me so I though I'd share it. Although they sent it to me as a joke, they have no idea how many of these are so true.

Hurricane Observations:
No matter how many times you flick the switch, lights don't work without electricity.

Cats are even more irritating without power. (:rolleyes: Not true, but they are during the storm itself)

He who has the biggest generator wins.

Women can actually survive without doing their hair--you just wish they weren't around you.

A new method of non-lethal torture - showers without hot water.

There are a lot more stars in the sky than most people thought.

TV is an addiction and the withdrawal symptoms are painful. One day at a time, brother.

A 7 lb bag of ice will chill 6-12 oz Budweiser's to a drinkable
temperature in 11 minutes, and still keep a 14-pound turkey frozen for 8 more hours. But without electricity to cook the turkey, the beer option is very important to remember.

There are a lot of trees around here.

Flood plan drawings on some mortgage documents were seriously wrong.

Contrary to most Florida natives' beliefs, speed limit on roads without traffic lights does not increase.

Aluminum siding, while aesthetically questionable, can also become a lethal weapon .

Just because you're over 21 doesn't mean you can stay out as late as you want. At least that's what the cops told me during a curfew stop .

Crickets can increase their volume to overcome the sound of 14
generators.

People will get into a line that has already formed without having any idea what the line is for.

When required, a Porche will float--doesn't steer well, but floats just the same.

Some things do keep the mailman from his appointed rounds.

Tele-marketers function no matter what the weather is doing.

Cell phones work when land lines are down, but only as long as the battery remains charged.

27 of your neighbors are fed electric from a different transformer than you, and they are quick to point that out!

Laundry hampers were not made to contain such a volume.

If I had a store that sold only ice, chainsaws, gas, and generators...I'd be rich.

The price of a bag of ice rises 200% after a hurricane.

Your water front property can quickly become someone else's fishing hole.

Tree service companies are under appreciated.

I learned what happens when you make fun of another state's blackout.

MATH 101: 30 days in month, minus 6 days without power equals 30% higher electric bill ?????

Drywall is a compound word, take away the "dry" part and it's worthless.

I can walk a lot farther than I thought.

Personally I gained a new appreciation for the pioneers

Logan
09-21-2004, 11:54 AM
All too true, Libby. I'm sorry you had to find out the hard way. :(

robinh
09-21-2004, 12:04 PM
How funny! I've heard some of the same things during the winters here when we lose power for days.