PDA

View Full Version : PT Christmas card exchange?

micki76
09-21-2004, 10:49 AM
The recent Christmas shopping thread by PJ's Mom got me wondering if anyone has been thinking about the Christmas card list for this year? I got out last years cards recently and looked through all of them. It was so much fun looking through all those wonderful memories. :D

I'll gladly volunteer to help with the organizing.

slick
09-21-2004, 10:58 AM
My finances just will not allow it this year so I'm NOT participating. Maybe next year. :(

I did the same thing Micki. I was cleaning out my closet a few weeks ago and came across all the ones I received last year. It was so much fun going through them all.

PJ's Mom
09-21-2004, 11:07 AM
Sounds like fun. How does it work?

FizzGiggs_Mommy
09-21-2004, 11:20 AM
Count me in ! I love sending X mas cards!

Nomilynn
09-21-2004, 11:21 AM
Funny you mentioned this Micki, as Tonya (Zippy) and I were talking about this last night. Last year there was about 60-65 participants. The list was HUGE, and it was very expensive. This is not something that I can participate in this year. Also, the organizing was extremely stressful and time consuming for Tonya and I - moreso Tonya - and with starting my new school program, I've decided to pass this year on the card exchanges. So Micki - if you wanna go for it, please do! :) Last year, we posted a thread with the rules and guidelines and Karen made it sticky, so everyone could take a look at it. If you have any questions, let me know! :)

Logan
09-21-2004, 11:22 AM
I didn't participate last year because I was so far behind on everything! :o I never even got my cards out the year before (right at wedding time), and I was so embarassed. :o

One idea that I think works really well, that we might want to consider this year, is breaking the list into groups of perhaps 10. Everyone would receive the whole list, but are only obligated to send to the 10 in their group. That might make it easier for some of us to participate that weren't able to before, and would keep the cost down as well. And if you wanted to, you could send one to everyone or at least more than just the 10 in your group. We did it last year at our Golden Retriever group and the girl who organized it named each group after one of Santa's reindeer. It was cute and fun and much more manageable. :) Just a thought. If we could consider doing something like that, I would love to participate. :)

Logan

aly
09-21-2004, 11:32 AM
It is pretty expensive to do, but I REALLY have to do it again! I've done it every year so far and I have a huge collection of wonderful, cherished cards.

Even if we break it up into groups, I'll still send to the whole list. It is so much fun.

Micki, if you need any help organizing, let me know!

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-21-2004, 11:40 AM
I have to say that unless my employment situation changes soon, I will not be able to participate this year, which breaks my heart :(

lynnestankard
09-21-2004, 12:06 PM
Well done Micki - I've been thinking of the Christmas Card exchange too.
I remember someone saying last year that it was getting a little out of control and would it be possible to divide the list into - Dogs, Cats and Pets, so we would send the cards to the people we 'talk' to most.
Is that a feasible(sp?) idea?

Lynne

RedHedd
09-21-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
Funny you mentioned this Micki, as Tonya (Zippy) and I were talking about this last night. Last year there was about 60-65 participants. The list was HUGE, and it was very expensive. This is not something that I can participate in this year. Also, the organizing was extremely stressful and time consuming for Tonya and I - moreso Tonya - and with starting my new school program, I've decided to pass this year on the card exchanges. So Micki - if you wanna go for it, please do! :) Last year, we posted a thread with the rules and guidelines and Karen made it sticky, so everyone could take a look at it. If you have any questions, let me know! :) Likewise I'm sure. It was kind of fun, but was very expensive for me as I already send out over 100 Xmas cards to my family a friends. The PT cards were fun, but it just got to be too much. Sorry I won't be participating this year in the official PT Xmas card exchange this year.

petslover
09-21-2004, 12:22 PM
If you break them into groups I may be able to participate, but I know I won't be able to if you have to send one to everyone..Being a college student with no job right now I can't afford it.

pitc9
09-21-2004, 12:24 PM
Count me in for this year!!!

catland
09-21-2004, 12:25 PM
Logan - you were reading my mind (or I was reading yours).

Yes, I think that collecting the names, and then splitting into managable groups would be an excellent idea. That way everyone is guarenteed some cards and it doesn't become overwhelming for others.

robinh
09-21-2004, 12:35 PM
Count me in. I loved reading and looking at the cards last year.

micki76
09-21-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by lynnestankard
Well done Micki - I've been thinking of the Christmas Card exchange too.
I remember someone saying last year that it was getting a little out of control and would it be possible to divide the list into - Dogs, Cats and Pets, so we would send the cards to the people we 'talk' to most.
Is that a feasible(sp?) idea?

Lynne

I don't think the catagories would work, Lynne. Too many people would be left out. Many people have all kinds of pets and would then have to pick just one group of friends to send to, or spend a lot more $ than others sending to all. IMO, I only see it working with everyone sending to everyone. I personally want to send to, and receive from, everyone.

Aly, I'll send you a PM. :)

Barbara
09-21-2004, 12:52 PM
For us Europeans it is really expensive too but it was so much fun (and I am already developping ideas for my card;) ) so count me in -however you do it.

But I think Logan's idea is good. I liked especially in the last exchange that you got to "meet" people who are not just the ones you know anyway and in a random group of 10, this would still be the case. In addition I could write to any others I like.

Last year, the cost came as a surprise to me - this year I planned it already:D

Logan
09-21-2004, 12:54 PM
Unfortunately, Micki, with the decision to do all or nothing, I'm afraid a lot of people will be left out, based on the information provided by many people today. :( I will be one of them. Couldn't we consider breaking it down into groups so that more people could/would participate and those who want to send to everyone still could?

Since I'm not volunteering to help organize it, I guess I'll have to live with the decision of those who do, but I would love to participate, but in a more limited manner.

Logan

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-21-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Barbara

But I think Logan's idea is good. I liked especially in the last exchange that you got to "meet" people who are not just the ones you know anyway and in a random group of 10, this would still be the case. In addition I could write to any others I like.

If we could do THAT, then I would still be able to participate, but I can't afford to send out cards on the scale of last years! (Plus as Barbara says, we could then still send "privately" to any additional people we are extra-close to.

It''s a pity that it is SO GOOD and SO POPULAR that is has become unmanageable.

I would be happy to share the admin duties with Micki and Aly.

micki76
09-21-2004, 01:11 PM
If someone else wants to organize it and split it all up, then it can be done that way. I just don't have the time for that.

catland
09-21-2004, 01:13 PM
I agree with the random group idea. That way there are no favorites. We could collect all the names first - and then based on the number of participants - decide on how many groups there should be. The important thing is that you promise to send a card to everyone in your group so that no one feels left out.

From the sounds of things there are a lot of people on limited budgets and this could actually increase the number of participants.:D Also, I know I also felt somewhat overwhelmed last year trying to get the last of my cards sent out - some didn't make it out until after Christmas.

Also, for those on limited budgets - postcards could be a very acceptable solution. They are inexpensive and the postage is alot less.

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-21-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by micki76
If someone else wants to organize it and split it all up, then it can be done that way. I just don't have the time for that.

I don't mind doing the admin.:D

aly
09-21-2004, 01:26 PM
I like the postcard idea for those on limited budgets. Does anyone else have any ideas on how we could make this work with one big list? I really do love sending to everyone.

Randi
09-21-2004, 01:28 PM
Logan and Lynne, I so agree with you! Christmas cards could be quite a "job" this year - we have got so many new members who probably want to join, so the list could be close to 80 - or more! I think about 20-30 cards is my limit.

If we can make some sort of arrangement like suggested, I think it would work. :)

Dividing people up in Cat, Dog and Pet groups, or from A-L and M-Z, or something, could be one way of doing it - and then, everyone could send a few more cards to their close friends. :)

Well, we still have time to decide.

In fact, someone could start a poll with different suggestions on how to make the groups, and we could vote ;)

micki76
09-21-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by aly
I like the postcard idea for those on limited budgets. Does anyone else have any ideas on how we could make this work with one big list? I really do love sending to everyone.

Same here Aly. While I know I can still send to everyone, it just wouldn't feel right. I had an enormous amount of fun last year getting cards from everyone. It just won't be the same. :(

jazzcat
09-21-2004, 01:51 PM
I was hoping to participate this year but hadn't thought about the cost of mailing so many.:eek: I wished I hadn't missed out on last years but I so busy then.

I hope there will be some way to work it out.

micki76
09-21-2004, 02:06 PM
I bought about 80 cards last year AFTER Christmas with this card exchange in mind. :( I already have my pictures ordered from Imagestation. :(

I think I'll bow out of the whole thing gracefully, before I hurt someone's feelings.

aly
09-21-2004, 02:14 PM
I bought about 80 cards last year AFTER Christmas with this card exchange in mind. :( I already have my pictures ordered from Imagestation. :(

I think I'll bow out of the whole thing gracefully, before I hurt someone's feelings.

Noooo, don't bow out yet. There is still a chance we might be able to do one big list. If not, you can send me 80 cards and I'll send you 80 - HAH!

wolf_Q
09-21-2004, 02:15 PM
I have reallye enjoyed the previous Christmas card exchanges! I really don't like the idea of splitting it into groups. I like sending and receiving from everyone. If we're doing it that way I probably will not participate. :(

Barbara
09-21-2004, 02:19 PM
I can participate in any way. We could start a poll asking who prefers what?
Groups
Or whole list?

jazzcat
09-21-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Barbara
I can participate in any way. We could start a poll asking who prefers what?
Groups
Or whole list?
Good idea.

micki76
09-21-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by aly
Noooo, don't bow out yet. There is still a chance we might be able to do one big list. If not, you can send me 80 cards and I'll send you 80 - HAH!

LOL!! :D

Originally posted by wolf_Q
I have reallye enjoyed the previous Christmas card exchanges! I really don't like the idea of splitting it into groups. I like sending and receiving from everyone. If we're doing it that way I probably will not participate. :(

Me neither, Amy. :( I'm very disapointed. I had already started the organization thread and had some rules lined up to discuss with aly.

Now I've deleted it and I'm not interested in any of it anymore.

Childish yes, but I was looking forward to this more than I can say. Christmastime is very hard for me emotionally and all those cards last year just made the whole holiday season for me. :( :( :(

Kfamr
09-21-2004, 02:36 PM
I don't like the idea of seperating the forum for anything.
Like the Gift Swap, I hated the idea that some people didn't want to send to other pet owners. I understand cost issues and so on but we are all ONE community, ONE family. It'd be just like sending a card to someone in your family and not sending to someone else.

petslover
09-21-2004, 02:44 PM
I know people are like not wanting to split it up, but some people just can't afford to send 80 or however many cards out. i know i am one of those people, why don't you make it your choice if you want to take a group or send to all 80... i want to participate if you do it in groups,but if its 80 people i can't do that. sorry!

Kfamr
09-21-2004, 02:46 PM
Yes, but would it be fair for those who want to send all 80 to recieve only 10 or so?

slick
09-21-2004, 02:49 PM
Personally, I think it's wayyy to early for some people to think about Christmas. I love that time of year, but I just don't have the money this time. Please don't give up yet. Let's get Halloween out of the way and see where we stand.

aly
09-21-2004, 03:00 PM
I need to know about the Christmas cards early because mine always seem to make it a few days after Christmas :o :o Also, to distribute the costs, its easier if I spread out the card making over a couple months.

I guess I'll go start a poll if no one else has.

DogLover9501
09-21-2004, 03:06 PM
I would love to send cards to everyone, and receive one from everyone, but like others, it's too expensive for us :( :(

aly
09-21-2004, 03:12 PM
http://67.15.70.205/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59281

There's the poll.

Samantha Puppy
09-21-2004, 03:15 PM
I'd like to participate unless Option 1 in the other thread is chosen. I don't have the time or the money to get and write out cards if we're required to send them to everyone.

Cincy'sMom
09-21-2004, 03:20 PM
It was so weird, i was jsut thinking about the exchange today and was going to start a thread as soon as I get my computer back....

I'll check out the poll

BitsyNaceyDog
09-21-2004, 04:52 PM
This will be my first Christmas at PT, and I'm excited. Christmas is my favorite time of the year. I also love sending christmas cards. I defiantly want to participate.

I'm so excited!!!

Miss Meow
09-21-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by aly

Or, you can send each other a card for the next 80 years ;) :D

aly
09-21-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Miss Meow
Or, you can send each other a card for the next 80 years ;) :D

Hehe, yeah that would be easier!!

micki76
09-21-2004, 09:10 PM
Yay, I was able to reduce my order with Imagestation!!

I will only be sending to friends this year. Someone else can do the list. I'm done with the whole thing. :(

lizzielou742
09-22-2004, 08:14 AM
What's the best way to make the cards with photos of your pets on them? On your personal computer? Or do you have someone print it up for you?

Just wondering, this is my 1st Xmas on PT :D Thanks!

BitsyNaceyDog
09-22-2004, 08:26 AM
I think I'm going to go buy a book or 2 of stamps today and put them aside for christmas. If I buy a book whenever I can, every week or every other week for the next couple of months it won't be as hard financially. I want to participate which ever way is decided upon.

Tonya
09-22-2004, 10:10 AM
I can't do it. :( I can't even get my cards out to my own darn family members...I am such a bum!

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-22-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
I can't do it. :( I can't even get my cards out to my own darn family members...I am such a bum!

YOU should have an LJ;)

pitc9
09-22-2004, 01:29 PM
Yay, I was able to reduce my order with Imagestation!!

I will only be sending to friends this year. Someone else can do the list. I'm done with the whole thing. :(

NO NO NO!!!
Just wait and see how everything turns out!!
Lets just wait and see!

We still have time to figure everything out!

I think two lists.....

1 list of names with everyone sending to everyone on the list and 1 list of people that only want to break their list up into groups!