PDA

View Full Version : Rejected for MBA - rant

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-21-2004, 04:22 AM
I was supposed to start my MBA this week and my application has been rejected :(

As I have a COLLEGE diploma, but no BA degree, I applied to enter the program based on previous work experience (If you can prove 12 years of relevant work experience and provide two letters of reference from previous managers they will accept that instead of an existing degree).

They have rejected my application as I am NOT CURRENTLY EMPLOYED :(

Their reason for this is that much of the coursework will be based on current real-life experiences in my place of work, and as I am not working I will not be able to fully participate.

I offered to do Project Management work FREE for my previous employer, in order to have relevant business issues on which to base my coursework, but they can't allow me to do that. (Hubby works for a competitor and there are "confidentiality issues"). I also asked a couple of other companies where I know managers, and they can't do it either.

I am SO dissapointed - I managed to get $21 000 together to pay for this course, not they won't let me do it. Plus if I am working full time I will find it difficult to give my studies the focus they need, so this was a perfect opportunity.

*SIGH* - what a bummer:(

Killearn Kitties
09-21-2004, 05:02 AM
Exactly what I was going to say, what a bummer! :(

Is there absolutely no hope that they might be persuaded otherwise?

Barbara
09-21-2004, 05:46 AM
Oh Julie, I am so very sorry about that! I hope you find a way to work it out!

I know you can do it!:)

Tonya
09-21-2004, 09:05 AM
Oh, Julie, I am so sorry! That is a bummer! Don't give up, I am sure you can work something out. (((hugs)))

emily_the_spoiled
09-21-2004, 09:31 AM
Julie,

I am not sure what school you had applied to, but there are a number of universities that offer an MBA program online. I did mine as a fulltime student (which is the hard way), but a girlfriend of mine did her's online line and she loved it. She was like you, she didn't have a university degree and was unemployed at the time but they accepted her. Now she has a great job that she loves. She took her's through the University of Athabasca (which is a Canadian school), but there were students from all over the world in her program. I know that this university does have a January admit date, so you might be able to start soon.

Maybe you can check out some of the other online universities, like Strayer and the University of Phoenix.

Good luck and if I can be of any help just let me know (been there, done that, and all that other stuff)...

Cheryl

micki76
09-21-2004, 10:15 AM
Well, that just sucks. :(

Cheryl had a good idea with doing online, though. :) But if you're like me, I would spend all my time online doing things instead of school, lol.

Like now, I should be working! :eek:

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-21-2004, 10:27 AM
Cheryl, thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into some of the online options.

(Although I would have preferred some component to be classroom based - I have the attention span of a FLY).

Micki - you are right - it's hard to concentrate with the WWW in front of you!

Miss Meow
09-21-2004, 06:38 PM
How disheartening when you've scaped together the money, offered to work for free and want to do their program!

I hope the online option or another option pops up: if you're motivated and want to do this, I wouldn't let that one stuffy old institution stop you from reaching your goals :)

tatsxxx11
09-21-2004, 06:59 PM
Oh Julie, I'm so disappointed for you:( I'm a lifelong student myself and do so appreciate your efforts. How sad they couldn't see past this minor point. I'd definitely look into the online options. Gosh, I've read/heard of so many onlin programs, but their names escape me at the moment. I'm thinking U of Arizonia??? Keeping my fingers crossed for you!!!