PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Analyzing a Statement

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-20-2004, 04:30 PM
Hi all :)

I know I've been scarce lately, but school has been tough - again. This week the professor seems to have slacked off a bit so I should have a bit of free - finally - hopefully!

Anyway, the reason for this post is I need help analyzing something. I haven't been getting full credit for posting in the online threads for school. I asked the prof what I could do to increase my points, and this is his reply:

"The additional points could come from a stronger focus on synthesis and evaluation of the topics in the discussion. If you re-read the guidelines for discussion, focus in on the predicates used to demonstrate synthesis and evaluation. I'm looking for you to push past analysis in the cognitive hierarchy and move into synthesis and evaluation of the material."

....huh?.....

Evidently he is one of those people that trys to impress you with his technical jargon. I generally am not impressed with people like that. Seems to me it's more of a "baffle 'em with bulls**t" to cover up the fact that he hasn't a clue as to why he's downgrading my contributions to the threads.

The last sentence especially gets to me. What in the world does it mean to "push past analysis in the cognitive hierarchy"? :rolleyes:

micki76
09-20-2004, 04:41 PM
Well I can't help you, but you have my sympathies! :p

slick
09-20-2004, 04:43 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused:
I'm afraid that if it doesn't have anything to do with pee biscuits or tootsie rolls, I get lost in the shuffle. :rolleyes:
Wish I could help.

Cinder & Smoke
09-20-2004, 04:52 PM
Gud GRIEF!! :eek:

WHAT'd he say!?????? :confused:

"Baffel em wiff BS" is right! :rolleyes:

You could probably develop quite a "following" with your Fellow Students
by using His Answer?? as a NEW "Subject for Discussion". :p

Mite not help your GRADE too much -
but would be *phunn* to see how it flies with the others!

:D

Edwina's Secretary
09-20-2004, 05:28 PM
What a bunch of ..... I am trying to push past the predicate and analyze the denominator before I cognitively move into the synthesis. Hierarchically of course.

I would save this statement and when the course is completed I would sent a copy of the correspondence to the school administrators. Ask them to translate this! What a bunch of......

Somewhere in there he is suggesting you need to get beyond analysis and into absorption. What does he think you are? A paper towel?????

catland
09-20-2004, 05:49 PM
what the #$%#$ kind of class is this - and what is the subject?

Well, with the help of Dictionary.com - here's what you can ask him in order to clarify his statement.

"when you emphasize the need for a stronger synthesis, are you refering to logical deduction from the general to the specific or do you seek the combination of thesis and antithesis in the Hegelian dialectical process whereby a new and higher level of truth is produced?" ;)

You said this is an on-line discussion? Maybe you can track down someone who can synthesize with the best of them and see what he or she is doing.

good luck:)

wolflady
09-20-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by catland
[B]what the #$%#$ kind of class is this - and what is the subject?

Well, with the help of Dictionary.com - here's what you can ask him in order to clarify his statement.

"when you emphasize the need for a stronger synthesis, are you refering to logical deduction from the general to the specific or do you seek the combination of thesis and antithesis in the Hegelian dialectical process whereby a new and higher level of truth is produced?" ;)

LOL LOL That's about right! Good one catland!
I have to agree, it sounds like he's loading you with a bunch of bull and big words, and that is never an impressive thing...especially when it makes absolutely NO sense!!! :rolleyes:

zippy-kat
09-20-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
"The additional points could come from a stronger focus on synthesis and evaluation of the topics in the discussion. If you re-read the guidelines for discussion, focus in on the predicates used to demonstrate synthesis and evaluation. I'm looking for you to push past analysis in the cognitive hierarchy and move into synthesis and evaluation of the material."

My attempt to translate:

Your additional points could focus more on the synthesis (which I define as 1. narrowing a broad topic to a small focus/specific point, 2.deducing a cause and effect relationship or 3.(think back to math class) showing your work -- list/narrate all steps involved to move from point A to point B) and evalution (which I would define as judging the worth -or lack thereof- of a point) of the topics in the discussion. ... focus in on the predicates (he means examples) used to demonstrate synthesis and evaluation. I'm looking for you to push past analysis and move into synthesis and evaluation of the material [i](in short, don't "gloss" over the entire reading but pick one or two points and REALLY argue them, connect them to past/present texts and/or issues, and be sure to list/discuss EVERY step that's involved).

That's my take on the whole gobbledy-gook - hope it helps!

slick
09-20-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
Smartie pants :p :)

Cataholic
09-20-2004, 07:10 PM
Good lord...and I am usually pretty good with the english language, and as a lawyer, 'trained' to use 25 cent words when .o5 ones will do the trick!

I had no idea what he meant, until I read Zippy's reply.

micki76
09-20-2004, 07:48 PM
My attempt to translate:

Your additional points could focus more on the synthesis (which I define as 1. narrowing a broad topic to a small focus/specific point, 2.deducing a cause and effect relationship or 3.(think back to math class) showing your work -- list/narrate all steps involved to move from point A to point B) and evalution (which I would define as judging the worth -or lack thereof- of a point) of the topics in the discussion. ... focus in on the predicates (he means examples) used to demonstrate synthesis and evaluation. I'm looking for you to push past analysis and move into synthesis and evaluation of the material [i](in short, don't "gloss" over the entire reading but pick one or two points and REALLY argue them, connect them to past/present texts and/or issues, and be sure to list/discuss EVERY step that's involved).

:eek:

Well, I hope you know that I can never talk to you again! :p :D ;)

No wonder you're always so quiet in chat, you're probably bored to death! :D

Cinder & Smoke
09-20-2004, 08:01 PM

My attempt to translate:

... Whut Zippy sed ...

That's my take on the whole gobbledy-gook -
hope it helps!

Wellllllll - Thankz, Zipp!

THAT kleered it Rite UP! :p :rolleyes:

(Wonders...

Did Zippy have that Same Prof?? ) :confused:

<shakes hed>
<closes dictionary>

:D

Nomilynn
09-20-2004, 10:41 PM
My attempt to translate:

To add to the last sentence.. don't always go with what it looks like at first (the cognitive part) but probe a little deeper and extract more meaning based on other info pulled from the discussion. Am I right, Tonya lol?? :)

zippy-kat
09-21-2004, 12:22 AM
I would agree to that, Nom! :)

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-21-2004, 04:15 AM
*bashes head against desk* - you guys are making me feel STOOPID - I'm off to watch Cartoon Network LOL;)

Seriously though, we DO have a right bunch of clever-clogs here (and I mean that as a compliment).

Barbara
09-21-2004, 06:40 AM
My five cents - from somebody who has to analyze more because she cannot understand at the first glance:D

push past analysis: It is not enough for him that you can understand what the text is talking about.

But he wants you to focus on synthesis and evaluation:
could mean that you have to find your own opinion and judgement about the text (evaluation) and to find a solution on a more general level for problems addressed (synthesis).

If he can't say it in a way his students understand he is wrong in his job:D

slick
09-21-2004, 09:35 AM
:confused: :confused: OK, you young whipper-snappers. Here's a question for you.

Debbie is taking computer courses (IT stuff) so what on earth does any of this have to do with that???

Ally Cat's Mom: :D :D :D I love the cartoon network......

Barbara
09-21-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by slick

Debbie is taking computer courses (IT stuff) so what on earth does any of this have to do with that???

Only thing I know for sure is that Debbie is far too good in communications to work in IT:D

(Sorry if I offended anyone but I have been working in a software company and our chief developer was Hungarian. His partner at Miicrosoft US at that time (90s) was too. So you could listen to them at the phone in Hungarian for HOURS! And of cause nobody knew what they were talking about:D )

slick
09-21-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Barbara
Only thing I know for sure is that Debbie is far too good in communications to work in IT:D
:D :D :D so true. No offence taken. I'm an IT Administrator myself.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-21-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by slick
:confused: :confused: :confused:
I'm afraid that if it doesn't have anything to do with pee biscuits or tootsie rolls, I get lost in the shuffle. :rolleyes:

Ditto! :D :D

Thanks everybody, and thanks Zippy, I was hoping you would check in because I figured if anybody would know what he was trying to say, you would. :D And now that I somewhat understand what he is trying to say, I'm still confused as to why I'm not getting full points because I thought that (refer to my first quote from him) is what I thought I was doing! I always quote the reference I'm using, then put what that reference was saying in my own words to let him know that I understand what the text is saying. So many of the students just quote right out of the text and don't put their own "spin" on anything - wonder how many points they're getting?

I also checked out dictionary.com before I asked you guys, but somehow I guess I wasn't synthesizing it all - perhaps because there were no predicates offered - so I couldn't come up with the hierarchy - cognitively that is. :rolleyes:

I also sent the prof. an email back asking him what he was saying, and here's his reply:

The discussion forum evaluation is based on Bloom's Cognitive
Hierarch...this means that as we learn, we first memorize things like facts, terms, etc. Then we begin to understand or comprehend things. After that we move up the cognitive hierarchy by learning how to apply what we know. Following this is the ability to analyze things...take them apart and know
how they are put together. And then the highest order of cognitive ability is to synthesize material and finally evaluate it...this means we can take various things that we know and put them together to form a new thought or idea about something. And evaluation is the ability to form judgments and make opinions about things. The verbs associated with each level are
defined in the guidelines for discussion....you might want to read through them.

Hope this helps...let me know if you have more questions.

This is a little more clear, but still.....

What I've gotten out of both of these emails is that I need to read the guidelines for the discussion grading a little closer. One thing I know he wants is everything must be spelled correctly, correct punctuation, correct terminology, etc. I have no problem with all of that, but I've already noticed mistakes that he's made - so who is he to downgrade me because of my cognitive snthesis evaluation of hierachy disability. ;) :p

Oh, and yes, this is actually a database class. We're learning all about Oracle 9i. Interesting class but I didn't know I had to be a literary wizard to get a good grade in it. ;)

Thanks again everyone for your help! :D

DJFyrewolf36
09-21-2004, 04:06 PM
Ive had profs like this. My general translation is usually "Please use telepathy to get into my head and parrot to me exactly what I'm thinking, but make sure if my grammar is messed up you correct it for me. Oh and bring me coffee and doughnuts"

:D :D :D

catland
09-21-2004, 06:51 PM
I think that the ultimate goal is for you to be able to think like Scotty on Star Trek.

"Aye captain - if I realign the warp tranducers to be in flux with the quantum signature - it might just work!"

slick
09-21-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by catland
I think that the ultimate goal is for you to be able to think like Scotty on Star Trek.

"Aye captain - if I realign the warp tranducers to be in flux with the quantum signature - it might just work!"
:D :D ROFLMAO!!!!! Oh God Catland, you are toooo funny!!!!
Oh shoot, I think I just wet my pants from laughing... :eek:

Vio&Juni
09-22-2004, 11:49 AM
I met something very similar to this text when I was working on some tests too :) I thought "why the heck not using a normal language" (esp. that I read this in English, which is not my native). But after analyzing it, I understood what was the idea.

Barbara, I understand what you mean about Hungarian. I visited Hungary 4 times and I had some hungarian speaking friends at the University, but I couldn't learn a word. That is the most funny language - usually when you hear a foreign language, you can tell where is the verb and where is the noun. Not with Hungarian. I only know something that sounds like Pitsy Kutiuj and it means Nice little doggie, at least it's what I know it means :)

nibblets
09-22-2004, 12:14 PM
You lost me at synthesis.
His statements made absolutely no sense to me whatsoever....and work in the IT field, but more in the hardware arena.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-28-2004, 01:07 PM
Got my grades for last week's work and I thought I'd let you all know that I got 100% on the threaded discussion area!

Thank you all for your help. I didn't think I did anything different this week, but whatever I did it worked so I got 100% for the week since I aced the assignment also. Now that's more like it. :D

lizbud
09-28-2004, 02:13 PM
Debbie,

So glad you were able to "push past analysis in the cognitive hierarchy" ..... :D

You probably were one of the very few who had the guts to
actually question the Prof's meaning of his statement. That's
worth extra points right there. LOL.:D Congrats.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-28-2004, 02:19 PM
Thanks Liz. :D

I forgot to add what he really said, so here it is.

Grade for Debbie Hanson: Week 4 Threads
Numeric grade: 50/50 Letter grade:
Comments:
You have met the minimum requirements for volume and frequency of your postings in the graded thread for this week. For points on quality, you get an "excellent" for the week. This means that you have responded with appropriate research and commentary, not just copied material from the Web, have put some thought into your responses, and have actively engaged the topic in discussion. This is a value-add to our forum discussion. Nice work!

Aaaahhhh.....something written in plain English that I can finally understand! :rolleyes: :D

DJFyrewolf36
09-28-2004, 03:03 PM
Rad! At least you've got something to show for all that synthesis :)

Killearn Kitties
09-28-2004, 03:11 PM
Yay!! Well done on your 100%. You could well be the only person who has ever figured out what he meant.:D