PDA

View Full Version : Lily and Maddie

dogs_4_me
09-19-2004, 10:35 PM
Well just a quick update on Lilly and Maddie

Lilly and Maddie were getting along great with the dogs, but it took a quick turn, they would eat of eachothers food bowls, that would get the dogs going, there had been numerous fights and i had to lock the dogs in the main level and the cats on the top. I've began to realize its just not fair for them, my parents and I have made the decision to start looking for a home. Lilly and Maddie need to go together though. I feel so horrible for doing this, I mean after all its not fair to the kitties. I dont want them to leave. Do you think this if for the best?:(

Im going to miss them so much, I wish there was somthing I could do.:(

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-20-2004, 03:29 AM
If the fighting is only about food, is there any way you could isolate the dog's food and just keep the cats out of that area?

How long have you had the cats - about a month? It's not a long time for them to get settled and the other pets to get used to them, but if there is no workable solution then you can show them how much you care by making sure they go to a good loving home (maybe without dogs, if they have "dog issues"?)

How big of a deal is it to keep them in separate parts of the house like they are now? Is the upstairs big enough? As long as they have place to play, scratching posts etc and windows to look out, could you not just keep them upstairs, as they are inside-only anyway? PLENTY of people have cats in small apartments or bed-sitters, and as long as the cats have enough stimulation it needn't be a problem.

Laura's Babies
09-20-2004, 08:31 AM
I too, would suggest that you need more time and to do the feeding in different areas, even keeping in seperate parts of the house if need be, especially at feeding times. Many people have cats and dogs and they WILL eat each others food and they work it out. A month is not enough time.

catmandu
09-20-2004, 08:36 AM
Feeding,in different area,might be the key,as Cats,are not supposed,to be eating Dog Food,anyways! Good Luck,with the Seating Arrangements!

dogs_4_me
09-20-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Ally Cat's Mommy
If the fighting is only about food, is there any way you could isolate the dog's food and just keep the cats out of that area?

How long have you had the cats - about a month? It's not a long time for them to get settled and the other pets to get used to them, but if there is no workable solution then you can show them how much you care by making sure they go to a good loving home (maybe without dogs, if they have "dog issues"?)

How big of a deal is it to keep them in separate parts of the house like they are now? Is the upstairs big enough? As long as they have place to play, scratching posts etc and windows to look out, could you not just keep them upstairs, as they are inside-only anyway? PLENTY of people have cats in small apartments or bed-sitters, and as long as the cats have enough stimulation it needn't be a problem.

Its not just over food, Emma gets mad whenever the cats walk in or by my room, Moco goes balistic when they walk over his bed, the food is a huge issue though. I would keep the cats up stairs but then the dogs yelp all night because they dont like been alone, so i would switch them, the cats downstiars and dogs upstairs and the cats were upset and scratched out leather couch. I dont knwo what to do:(

dogs_4_me
09-20-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Laura's Babies
I too, would suggest that you need more time and to do the feeding in different areas, even keeping in seperate parts of the house if need be, especially at feeding times. Many people have cats and dogs and they WILL eat each others food and they work it out. A month is not enough time.

Its been two months with madie and a bit under with lilly. Its not the problem of them eating eachother food, its how mad the dogs get.

dogs_4_me
09-20-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by catmandu
Feeding,in different area,might be the key,as Cats,are not supposed,to be eating Dog Food,anyways! Good Luck,with the Seating Arrangements!

Maddie has also been loosing hair, the vet thinks its because of stress:( I just cant have that happening to them. Its not reallly a problem with EMma, its moco that just thinks that they are his victim. I wish i could make a good seating plan for them LOL, my parents just think this is a huge hassle:rolleyes: :mad:

Mil0Luv3r
09-20-2004, 01:42 PM
What state do you live in? Maybe if this keeps going on you could find someone you trust and near by you that you could visit them at and they can take them in as like Fosters intill you can get Moco and Emma to get along with the cats?

When we had got Snickers Lady thought he was her toy! Every so often we would sit down with both of them and Lady started relizing that Snickers wasn't a toy. We got Snickers at 6 weeks and he would suck off of Lady and get Milk! We believed that her "Mother"ness kicked in.. When we had to have Debra "Kitty Sit" him for awile and he came back he didn't remember Lady so I HAD to show him her well lets just say Stomach Area again.. Then he remembered.

Maybe you should just start sitting down with them every so often and show Emma and Moco that the cats can be nice. Just don't show the cats their Stomach Area!;)

I hope that works!