PDA

View Full Version : Diet?

PJ's Mom
09-19-2004, 09:53 PM
Is anyone here on any kind of diet that working well for you?

I need to lose 15 - 20lbs by Christmas, and I can't seem to stop eating. So motivate me, please. :D

Aspen and Misty
09-19-2004, 10:03 PM
HA HA! I was supposed to loose like 20 pounds by, umm next thursday, that didn't happen! The sad part? I had 2 months to do it and never got off my fat lazy butt!

Although, I have to admit I've started eating better. I just try to not eat any snacks and when I eat dinner and such I eat SLOW. Thats the biggest tip I can give. Eat slow! You will fill up soooo much faster!

Also, if you are craving those cookies, take 3 or 4 with you to the couch and leave the box on the counter or in the cupurd. Most likly you will think it's to much work to get up, walk over there, open the box and grab a few more, so you will only eat those 3 or 4. It worked for me :D

Good luck!

O, get another dog ;) I go on three walks a day because of my three mutts. I keep telling my dad we will have to get another one when Breeze goes so I can continue going on three walks. He just tells me to take nova twice :rolleyes:

Ashley

aly
09-19-2004, 10:06 PM
This time of the year is the hardest to lose weight - especially when it gets to the month of December! I'm trying to lose weight too. I've upped my exercise level and I try to cut out my snacking habits. If I want something to snack on, I am trying to eat celery or apple and peanut butter. I can't say I like celery, but at least it makes me feel more full.

kingrattus
09-19-2004, 10:09 PM
Most Diets r not healthy for u, they can cause many problems.

The best thing to do it cut out pop & chips, mostly pop. I lost 15 pounds in a few months from not drinking pop. Pop puts the pounds on ur gut really fast.

Rob & I had a good thing going on. Only if something bad happened we would get pop & chips. We would go for weeks & weeks & months & months with no junk food. But last dec changed that. I'm drinking several cans of pop daily. I'm drinking more pop then ever & always want pop & only pop.

But getting off just pop does help. I also don't eat candies, I'll have some at halloween & then not touch one for a vey long time. I still have 2 year old halloween rockets in my dresser. I just don't enjoy candy anymore.

dogs_4_me
09-19-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by kingrattus
The best thing to do it cut out pop & chips, mostly pop. I lost 15 pounds in a few months from not

I agree, cutting out pop and unhealthy juices really help. If you have a big appetite then instead of eating 10 cookies, eat a large quantity of somthing healthy, although that still is not going to totally help you it will certainly be better then eating a bunch of junk

cali
09-19-2004, 10:33 PM
eat healthy and get lots of exersize :p I lost 15lbs this summer that way, I could never stick to a diet with only a mealy amount of food, or only certain kinds etc.. lol I just go out and have fund, at salads for snacks, and eat meals, then go back out and dance in the street, ride my bike, and run with my friends, climb tree's and play with the dogs.. etc.. worked like a dream! :D

kingrattus
09-19-2004, 10:33 PM
if u cannot cut pop out of ur diet, drink the new low sugar pop or diet pop, yes yes yes I know the diet stuff tastes like horse pee, but it fixes ur crave & it also gets u to stop drinking as much pop because ur brain is fighting its self.

Caffeen, but no wait it tasets like horse pee, its not fair, fine diet pop it is, dear god, yuck, I'll pass.

Thats what ur brain will say when u stop drinking regular pop (coke & pepsi is what I'm talking about, its the worst kind of pop).

& as for juices, drink real juices not that drink crap, thats all fake & all the good stuff is added to it. So if u drink real juices, u'll also feel better then drinking that fake crap.

Insted of 2 or 3 hot dogs, over stuff 1 hotdog, or chase it down with baked fries to fill u up faster.

Also eat baked only fries, the other stuff is very bad for u & u'll notice u'll like the baked fries much better, ur tummy will fill good & it wont be as angry with u :)

Also stay away from McDonalds!! if u want fast food, go to Burger king, Wendies, A&W or Harvies.

McDonals is the fattiest foods u can have & the McDonalds in the USA have INSANE sizes!!!

ur fries & drinks r almost 3 times larger then ours!!

Ur super sized fries & drinks r like having 2 of out super sized fries & drinks.

I can hold our super sized drinks in one hand & my hands r not very large, I'm only 5'2 (but I tell everyone I'm 5'5, makes me feel taller). & I have to hold the USA drinks with 2 hands & even thats hard to do.

When we go to Ogdensberg we stay away from McDonalds, Burger King is alot better. + Burger Kings put lots of fresh veggies on their burgers, unlike McDonalds.

Mil0Luv3r
09-19-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Aspen and Misty
HA HA! I was supposed to loose like 20 pounds by, umm next thursday, that didn't happen! The sad part? I had 2 months to do it and never got off my fat lazy butt!

Although, I have to admit I've started eating better. I just try to not eat any snacks and when I eat dinner and such I eat SLOW. Thats the biggest tip I can give. Eat slow! You will fill up soooo much faster!

Also, if you are craving those cookies, take 3 or 4 with you to the couch and leave the box on the counter or in the cupurd. Most likly you will think it's to much work to get up, walk over there, open the box and grab a few more, so you will only eat those 3 or 4. It worked for me :D

Good luck!

O, get another dog ;) I go on three walks a day because of my three mutts. I keep telling my dad we will have to get another one when Breeze goes so I can continue going on three walks. He just tells me to take nova twice :rolleyes:

Ashley Eating slow does help! It fills you up faster! lol then you don't have to eat as much to fill your self up!

PJ's Mom
09-19-2004, 11:06 PM
Eat slow? :eek: I'm not sure I can do that! :p

I have a real addiction to cakes and doughnuts. :eek: If I could get over that, I'd probably lose a lot of weight.

Uabassoon
09-19-2004, 11:16 PM
I have a real addiction to cakes and doughnuts.

Mmmm cakes and doughnuts.

kingrattus
09-19-2004, 11:35 PM
Ok then, insted of eating cakes & Doughnuts, only eat one & not the other. & try to eat non-chocolate ones or what ever ur fave is. eat ones u like least & u'll get sick of eating the same type over & over & over that'll prob stop eating them as much. & don't buy any for the house!!!

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-20-2004, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by Uabassoon

Laura, you are NOT helping LOL!!!

Other than donuts is there anything else you could cut back on? How about keeping a food diary for a few days - you may be surprised where all those calories are coming from.

I just read a tip about how to get past a craving for sweet things - if you have a craving for eg Chocolate, give your body the OPPOSITE taste - like a pickled onion or gerkin - then you wont have the same craving for a sweet taste (I tried it yesterday and it seemed to help)

I have a problem with emotional eating, when I am stressed or upset I eat to make myself feel better :( - add this to a thyroid problem and what do you get?? A weight problem! I have just joined a weight-loss club, and am trying to adopt a more positive self-image.

Also take note of portion sizes. I was having a BOWL of cereal with low-fat milk for breakfast every day, but my BOWL actually contained over 2 regular servings ( a regular cereal serving is about 1 tea-cup, and most of us have WAY more than that, so the nutritional info on the packets can be misleading too!)

One thing that MAY help (It freaks me out). Stand in front of the mirror naked and tell yourself: "Unless I do something about it, this is the BEST I am EVER going to look" - talk about a wake up call:eek:

Rachel
09-20-2004, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom

I have a real addiction to cakes and doughnuts. :eek: If I could get over that, I'd probably lose a lot of weight.

Add cookies, ice cream, and chocolate to that list, and you have my downfalls. The fact is that you just can't eat any of this stuff on a regular basis and still lose weight. Trust me, I've tried to.

I know how to lose weight, it is sticking to the routine that is the problem. Fruit for breakfast, a salad for lunch and a dinner with reasonable portions works for me. But having a couple cookies can wreck havoc on my best intentions. It is best not to have any of this kind of stuff in the house.

Samantha Puppy
09-20-2004, 07:32 AM
Plan a wedding! From the time I got engaged to the day I walked down the aisle, I lost 30 lbs. From the day I walked down the aisle to today, I've lost an additional 10. It's the stress! LOL

PJ's Mom
09-20-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Uabassoon

That didn't help. :D

I only ate two little cookies today. They were free samples at the grocery store. Of course I didn't stop at one. I had make my way back down the cookie aisle once more before I left. :rolleyes: However, I didn't buy any of those kinds of goodies for the house. I've also read that green tea helps, so I picked up a few bottles of Arizona diet green tea with ginseng. (sounds yummy, doesn't it?) We'll see if my willpower will last. It's only 10:30am. :eek:

KYS
09-20-2004, 10:25 AM
Gee Rachel,
thanks a lot. NOw I am craving cookies and ice-cream.

I eat food for comfort. I have to
be pretty depressed not to want to eat.

If you can get past that mental block and not let
food control you.
What's that saying, You should eat to live not
live to eat.
I live to eat and that is my problem.

But I will say don't deprive yourself.
Eat smaller portions and if you get a craving
try to munch on stuff like carrots, jello anything
with out the fat and calories.
If you have to eat that peice of cake, than
cut down on something else.
Drink plenty of water.
Once you get past that mental block and are
able to change your eating habits it does
finally get easier.
Exercize is important too.
I rarely like to exercize so I started
taking daily walks.

Do not keep anything fattening in the house.
If you are like me, I can not just have 1 cookie.

(of course I haven't gotten past that mental block
yet.) :eek:

lizzielou742
09-20-2004, 10:31 AM
One summer I switched to diet sodas and started swimming four times a week for 15-20 minutes at a time and lost 30 pounds. Of course, the 30 pounds was gained during a period of zero exercise and eating nothing but chocolate chip cookie dough and ice cream (breakup :p). Anyway, I have since gained 10 of it back because I stopped swimming. Swimming is an awesome full-body workout. :D I enjoy dancing/aerobics too. Also, when I feel hungry, I drink a big glass of water and then wait 20 minutes to see if I'm still hungry. I heard somewhere that people confuse hunger for thirst a lot. Sounds hard to do, right? ;) It actually works quite often for me.

PJ's Mom
09-20-2004, 10:55 AM
How do you guys have so much self-control? :eek: I quit smoking, but can't seem to quit eating. *sigh*

CathyBogart
09-20-2004, 11:17 AM
What helped me most was cutting out soda, and snacking on fruit/veggies before I eat a regular meal. I'm a grazer, so I'm constantly munching, which can be detrimental to trying to eat well. I keep carrot sticks, celery, and fresh/dried fruit VERY handy, and easier than anything else to get to, and I munch on those.

Since water isn't very satisfying to drink all the time for me, I have quite an assortment of teas....jasmine, blueberry, green tea, earl grey, various others.

I also started to really slim down when I started walking a lot....it doesn't have to be vigorous exercise to be beneficial! ^_^

Logan
09-20-2004, 11:50 AM
I do not crave sweets (yes, I'm the one who threw away a Krispey Kreme Doughnut). I do not crave pasta. I do know that my love for salty things (chips, crackers, etc) hurt me. I only drink water or diet Coke when I have something to drink, but I also love to drink wine on occasion which is a HUGE "no no" when on a diet.

I think consistent exercise is the key, and it helps in more ways than one. Now, if only I can get myself on a regular regime for exercise! :o My dogs would be happier if we walked more and I would be too!!!! :)

PJ's Mom
09-20-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Logan
I do not crave sweets (yes, I'm the one who threw away a Krispey Kreme Doughnut). I do not crave pasta.

What??? :eek: Have you ever craved them? If I didn't have those kinds of cravings, I wouldn't have any at all. :p

Aspen and Misty
09-20-2004, 02:30 PM
Eatting slow will REALLY help you. I had a friend who "stole" me for a week, everytime she would eat I would say "EAT SLOW!!" to remind her. Now she eats HALF of what she used to eat :eek: seriously to! Eating slow is the best thing I did for myself :D I eat about half of what I used to, and I still stay full! It's really great.

O, find something you LOVE and eat it. For instance I looooove Cinnamon apple sauce, I could eat it all day! So we buy the snack size now and I eat them all the time!

One thing I also did is that I'm a "I see it I eat it" kind of person. So, we have a cupard in my house that I'm NOT allowed into. It has all the snacks, donuts etc. etc. In the Fridge the shelf that is eye level is full of grapes, apples, yogurt and apple sauce. So I open the fridge and say YUM! Thats what I want!! It sounds crazy, but it works!

If you cut out the things you love, you'll only fail. So, what I would do is figure out how many donuts/cookies you eat in a week, if you have to eat normally for a week and count them ALL. Write it down every night you can hide the sheet so no one knows how mnay you eat if you need to :D ;) then cut that in Half. Like, if you eat 12 cookies every week, now you can only have 6. And go with that for awile till you feel ready to cut it down to 3. Then 2. Then One. and then none.

Ashley

Pam
09-23-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Logan
I do not crave sweets (yes, I'm the one who threw away a Krispey Kreme Doughnut).

Poor Logan you will never live that down! LOL!

You know sometimes other people can sabotage your best intentions. The other day I took a little baggie to work with me with maybe a dozen grapes in it. That was going to be my snack. Of course little did I know that one of my co-workers would come in with a cream donut especially for me (yes I am known at work as a cream donut lover) and it wasn't even a Krispy Kreme one, rather a Dunkin' Donut (hey, they all work for me!) Anyway, I put away my grapes and ate the donut! :o I agree with what others have said about not even bringing the good stuff into the house. If it's not there you can't be tempted.
:)