PDA

View Full Version : Definition of "No-Kill" shelter

alexnell
05-06-2001, 02:21 AM
Please bear with me as I ask a silly question which may have been answered before.

As I've been reading the posts, I've come across the term "No-Kill" Shelter. I'm confused as to exactly what this means.

Does it refer to shelters where there are no animals put down for any reason, they are adopted or die of natural causes? Does it refer to shelters where animals are put down for severe behavioral problems or extreme illness, but not for any other reason (such as having been there past a specified length of time)? Does it mean something else?

Thanks in advance for un-confusing me. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

4 feline house
05-06-2001, 12:15 PM
Alexnell-your first guess is correct. Be aware, however, that the way they are able to manage this is they don't take any animals that may fall into the second category. In other words, they only accept animals that they feel have an excellent chance for eventual adoption. I sound like I am running no-kill shelters down - I am most certainly not. In a no-kill shelter, good pets get a good chance of finding a new home. In all other shelters, a good pet has little chance of finding another home. There is a bad need for both kinds of shelters, because, sadly, not all are suitable for adopting - very ill or vicious animals probably are better off being put down. That need is worsened on both ends by lack of responsiblity among us humans and lack of funds to operate animal shelters.

[This message has been edited by 4 feline house (edited May 06, 2001).]

aly
05-06-2001, 01:49 PM
I work at a 'no-kill' shelter. We put animals down if they have extremely bad health or extremely bad temperment problems. It is mainly the dogs that go down for temperment, as I have not seen a cat put to sleep for that reason yet. Yes, we do have limited room, and yes we do have to turn animals away. We do not, however, turn away adoptable pets. An animal is temperment tested and then it is decided if we will accept it. I realize that when one is rejected, it probably ends up at the city shelter or on the streets. We do not take that lightly and our canine behaviorist cries every time she has to reject one. It is a thing that lies heavy on all our hearts. We do the best we can though, and try to help as much as we can. There is no perfect solution for a shelter and until people start acting more responsibly, we will always have this overpopulation problem on our hands.

aly
05-06-2001, 06:59 PM
Spencer, sorry I wasn't trying to aim my post at you. This topic just reminded me that sometimes no-kill shelters are looked down upon for having to turn certain animals away. I hate the fact of turning away too. Maybe someday there will be a solution, at least I pray there will be.