PDA

View Full Version : Need some help.....

Laura's Babies
09-18-2004, 03:37 PM
I am at Dusty's Peoples house (My son), came to bring my "girls" since I am leaving for work in a day or so..

OK, I get here and they have a neighbors cat in their bathroom that they found laying in their yard, not moving. The little guy (app 4 to 5 months old, gray tabby, unaltered) is alert and eating good. His is thin but not STARVED... Problem is he won't move. I gentley mashed up and down him and he seems to be in no pain anywhere. I tried sitting him up and he sat but laid back down and does not move. He is not dehydrated at eats like a horse, he just won't move and is not active at all.. They said they heard him scream in the night like something had attacked him and found him lying in the yard not moving.

Any ideas anyone? Ever heard of anything like this? Could it be shock or something like that?

kimlovescats
09-18-2004, 03:51 PM
He sat alone on his own, or he fell back down? Wondering if he may be paralyzed? If not, then maybe he does have some sort of internal injury ... how sad. Sounds like a vet visit is the only way to know for sure! :(

Kirsten
09-18-2004, 03:54 PM
Yes, that could be a shock or some kind of paralysis, or a cerebral disorder, and IMO this poor guy needs to go to the vet as soon as possible!

And did I get that right that your girls are in the same house now? Better make sure they don't have any contact with that kitty since you can't be sure about viral diseases (FIP for example can also cause cerebral disorders when the brain is affected!).

Poor kitty! Please keep us updated!

Kirsten

Laura's Babies
09-18-2004, 04:37 PM
He is shut up in a bathroom. Yes, my girls are here and I told them to make sure they wash their hands GOOD before touching one of ours after handeling this one.

He laid down on his own, he is not paralized. He will move his paw if you tickle it... That is what has me so stumped... They don't have the money to take it to a vet and neither do I. The neighbors it belongs to are not home and even if they were, they have thrown it out of the house and could care less.... I just wonder WHY it won't move around.... It's eyes are very alert and it will eat like mad.. Just not active or moving...

Craftlady
09-18-2004, 06:24 PM
I would check around and see if there is a vet or rescue group that would check this little guy out for no cost or very little. He could be in pain and that's not fair for him to suffer.

lizzielou742
09-18-2004, 07:28 PM
What a mystery!! I have never heard of something like that before. It does sound like something serious though...wish I knew what to tell you! Please let us know what happens.

catcrazylady
09-18-2004, 08:29 PM
I can't imagine what could be wrong with him if there are no signs of injury and he doesn't seem to be in pain. Very odd. I too would be afraid of some illness so it's good they are keeping him isolated.
Is it possible that the neighbors hurt him? Is he so afraid of people that he could be scared to move? Is he sitting up when he eats?
Sorry for so many questions but it is really strange. I will pray for the little guy and I hope he is ok. Would the shelter where you volunteered be able to help at all with a vet?

Laura's Babies
09-18-2004, 08:45 PM
CCL, I fed him baby food with a spoon, not making him get up but he picked his head up and slurped it up like it was the best stuff in the world! He is not afraid of humans and seems to be enjoying being in out of the southern heat and all the attention he is getting. he does not wench when you pet him, head to foot, I even gentley worked my way to his tummy, checking for any wounds and gently mashing looking for any signs of pain and mashing harder when there didn't seem to be any, all up and down his tummy. There is no sign of wounds or trama. He appears to be 100% normal, except that he does not MOVE around at all! His eyes are alert, you snap your fingers in front of his face and he'll blink. You move your hand around his face back and forth and he follows it with his eyes.

Kev just emailed me this picture of him... He is the one on the right (the one with the red eye from the flash.), the other is his brother, they brought him in to see if his brother would get him up. I see he is sort of sitting up in this shot compared to just laying with head down while I was there.

It is the week end and the shelter is closed. I don't have anyones home phone number there or any of our rescue'ers number.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid139/p938fe54fc269bc63002f66be5d7b930f/f6f7d248.jpg

catcrazylady
09-18-2004, 08:55 PM
They are adorable and look like twins!
He looks ok in the picture. How strange! Is it possible that the little guy is just exhausted for some reason? I know when we first got Leroy I thought he was dying. I picked him up and he was as limp as a wet noodle! I took him into the house and he wouldn't move either. He layed and slept for a while and got up just fine. As I've gotten to know him I now know that he's just a lazy bum!!!;) :D
I hope that is all that's up with this little adorable boy. Keep us posted as long as you can and we will be praying for him.

Laura's Babies
09-18-2004, 09:18 PM
I told my son to watch this thread to see what everyone else thinks. He is in a panic because he has never seen a cat act like this and at first he thought he had been dying from starvation but I don't see him even being close to that although he eats like he thinks he is. I am waiting to see how he does overnight and tomorrow. This cat NEEDS a home where people will love him. I told Kev that he could have just lost his will to live after being thrown out of the house and not had anybody to love him anymore.

The owner did finally come home and they went and got her and told her something was wrong with her cat, she said she didn't see any wounds and left......:mad:

catcrazylady
09-18-2004, 09:22 PM
She didn't even want to take him home??!!! How horrible! What a mean and nasty person! I hope they can find a new loving home for these two beautiful boys!
That's AWFUL!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Freckles
09-18-2004, 09:27 PM
He's eating ok, what about the poop and pee?

Cinder & Smoke
09-18-2004, 10:03 PM
I think the *pooh* & *pee* is the Big Question that needs
an answer by morning...

He "looks" quite alert -
not what you'd think a cat in any *pain* would look like.

And if he allowed you to touch him everywhere - without showing
any discomfort or fear in his eyes...
that IS a *mystery*!

I'd suggest a "wait 'n see" till morning...
give him a blankie to sleep on;
and a litter box with a small portion of food and
a water bowl nearby;
and see how he is in the morning.

With food "on board" - he *otta* be ready to *pooh* by morning -
and for SURE by Sunday night.

If nothing "comes out" :p by Sunday night -
the Poor Kid NEEDS to see a Vet Monday Morning!

One word of *caution* ~
IF he has been injured - possibly a Back or Spinal injury -
he MAY *not* FEEL any pain - and that may also be why he
possibly "CAN'T" move on his own. :(
I'd go real *easy* on moving him around very much more -
let him move if he can - but don't "pick him up"
unless there is a serious need to do so.

Good Luck, Lil Kitty!!

/s/ :( Phred

rg_girlca
09-18-2004, 10:08 PM
Oh poor little baby...*&%$@% woman.

What two adorable little tabby babies.

Laura, you mentioned the heat. Do you think it might be possible he is suffering from heat exhaustion? Just a guess on my part.

You say that he is eating well, is he also drinking?

Gosh I hope and pray that this little one will be okay.

Do you think your son could keep us posted while you are away?

leslie
09-19-2004, 12:38 AM
Go to Ask the vet .com ! There are tons of websites where you can enter symptoms and get at least a lead on what might be going on. If his bowels and bladder are not moving, sounds like spinal and or nerve injury (and good thing owners didn't pick him up and toss him around!) He may be at the end of his ninth life...

Laura's Babies
09-19-2004, 12:15 PM
My son posted a update for those who missed that one... Post by "Dusty's People", I forget excacly what the title is called. There has been some improvement this morning.