PDA

View Full Version : What do we do?

Aspen and Misty
09-18-2004, 01:43 PM
As some of you know we have been having months of problems with Buddy. He is going to the bathroom in the house and is always whinning to go outside.

Well, recently I deced to find out why Buddy wanted to go out. Did he just want to go out and play? Did he want to go play in the sun? What?

So I took him out the next time he whinned and do you know what he did? He went straight to the dirt, started to dig, went potty and then covered it!! :eek:

We have proceeded to do this 3 times since then, everytime he begins to whin he goes straight to the dirt, went potty and covered it up.

So, now my question is....What do we do? Should I treat him like a "dog" and allow him to use outsid as his potty? Should I stop letting him out and work really hard at trying to save my carepts?

The worst thing with allowing him to be a "dog" and go outside, is that I'm not home 24/7 to let him in and out. So if he has to go potty while I'm not here, what will he do? We could put dirt in his litter pan, think he will still use it?

Ash

Tina
09-18-2004, 02:55 PM
You could try and put dirt in his litter box until he gets use to going in it. I'm not really sure what else to tell you. Maybe someone else can help.

jenluckenbach
09-18-2004, 03:25 PM
I'd do both. If it is safe for him to potty outside while supervised than by all means, do it! But for when you are not home, I would attempt the dirt in the litter box. You could always add cat litter to the dirt, little by little after he gets the knack. And make sure he has 2 boxes. He may not want to pee and poop in the same place.

Aspen and Misty
09-18-2004, 03:34 PM
Thanx guys.

My dad says the dirt in the box is to messy for the house.

My dad has said that we will start to treat him like one of the dog's. When he ask to go out, we will let him out and while we are at work he will have to use the litter pan. His worst thing is that if there is one poop/pee in the litter pan, it's one to many! :rolleyes: So we have been scooping and scooping like little scooping machines :D hopefulyl with him going outside to go potty he won't have as many problems cause the pan will be clean.

If that doesn't work then I think we will try the dirt in the litter pan and adding litter, good idea Jen!

Ash

Kirsten
09-18-2004, 03:37 PM
I agree with Tina and Jen. Too bad that your dad doesn't allow the dirt in the box!

Kirsten

Aspen and Misty
09-18-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Kirsten
I agree with Tina and Jen. Too bad that your dad doesn't allow the dirt in the box!

Kirsten

I know, but I kinda can see why. He's afreid it won't help the odor. We are having a BAD time with odor to because he has peed on the carpets. So the thought of adding to the odor make him not so happy.

He's a little stressed today, so i will ask him again tomrrow and hopefully he will say ok!

We are going to buy Buddy a tag and breakaway collar that says Buddy and our phone number on it. I think he is microchipped, but I need to ask my mom. If not we are going to have that done.

Ashley

Kirsten
09-18-2004, 03:48 PM
I understand...

It's a good thing that you're caring so well for Buddy and that you make sure his outdoor potty adventures will be as safe as possible.

Kirsten

Uabassoon
09-18-2004, 03:48 PM
You can try adding a little baking soda to the dirt, that will help the odor.

catnapper
09-18-2004, 05:07 PM
Well, like a dog, once he gets used to a regular scedule for being let out, perhaps he won't be needing to use the box after a while (though still keep it for those emergency times.) He might know that mornings before school, he'll be let out, then again after school, then again around dinner, and before bed... with a schedule like that he might be able to act like the dogs and not need to go potty any other time than those regular times. Good luck, and great detective work!