PDA

View Full Version : I think Chester's depressed :(

micki76
09-17-2004, 06:27 PM
We put up a new fence this week, and it was finally finished on Wednesday. We went with 8' board on board because the neighborhood kids like to play in the alley (my parent's would never have let me play in the alley :mad: ) and Ches would peak through and bark like mad at them.

I think he misses that. :( He's been just sitting around and hardly ever goes outside in the evenings anymore. I love my new fence and the peace and quiet is great, but I hate for him to be sad. He would spend a lot of his time running from one end to the other just looking out (not always barking), and now he's just unhappy.

I feel bad, so hubby said he'd cut some doggy level "windows" out and put wire and double screen material on them. He's also going to put a flap door with hinges and a little lock so we can close the windows when Chester's being too annoying, or when we're not home. :)

aly
09-17-2004, 06:31 PM
The windows are a great idea! I think it'll be the perfect solution.

I hope Chester feels better soon. Poor guy has nothing to bully! Hehe

Kfamr
09-17-2004, 06:33 PM
That sounds like a great idea. My only suggestion, but from the sounds of it you've got it cleared, is make sure that the kids aren't able to stick anything in there to the dogs.

Maybe you should just get another dog for him to bully. ;)

Tollers-n-Dobes
09-17-2004, 06:34 PM
I think you have a great idea:) hopefully it will make Chester happier.

micki76
09-17-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by aly
Poor guy has nothing to bully! Hehe

Exactly! He says since Reece doesn't take it personally, he thinks a visit is in order so he can grumble at him every once in a while. ;)

Originally posted by Kfamr
That sounds like a great idea. My only suggestion, but from the sounds of it you've got it cleared, is make sure that the kids aren't able to stick anything in there to the dogs.

Hubby actually just walked in with radiator grating. I've never seen it before (we have ZERO need for radiators here) and it's this thick, metal screen type stuff that can't be kicked in or poked out. The holes are very small, too.

I'll post pics once the windows are finished tomorrow. :)

dappledoxie
09-17-2004, 07:23 PM
Poor Chester, you guys are so sweet to him :) I hope it will make him happy. :D

Twisterdog
09-17-2004, 08:08 PM
When I was a kid, we had a solid fence all around the yard. My dad made plexiglass windows for our dogs to see out. Of course, he would never admit to doing it if asked now ... the dogs were "just for the kids", doncha know? :p

RobiLee
09-18-2004, 06:34 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Chester is feeling a bit blue. It sounds like you have come up with a wonderful plan. What great parents you and hubby are!

Now would you please explain to my husband that our doggies can get depressed. I think Katie seems a bit blue lately herself. Of course I don't blame her since her leg is stuck in a cast, but Alden thinks I'm silly that dogs don't get depressed :rolleyes:

Robin :)

Pam
09-18-2004, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by micki76

I'll post pics once the windows are finished tomorrow. :)

Now what a creative idea! I can't wait to see the finished product. :) I love seeing the things people here at PT have done to make life a little happier for their pets. Poor Chester. Just hang on a little longer and you will have some *windows on the world.* :cool:

KYS
09-18-2004, 09:29 AM
The window with a screen is a great idea.
My dogs love looking through the chain link gate
to watch the world go by.

Many years back my neighbors dad was visiting
from Holland. He liked giving doggie cookies
to my GSD/Lab mix.
He cut a little heart shape out of one of the wood
boards and he would slip the cookies through the hole. :)

lovemyshiba
09-18-2004, 10:02 AM
The windows sound like a great idea!!!

Poor little Chester, depressed. Believe me, I know exactly what you mean, because his long lost brother goes through those phases as well.