PDA

View Full Version : Zebra Finches

nea
09-17-2004, 04:28 PM
Does anyone here have them? What are they like? I might be getting some in a while, so I'm trying to find out all I can about them. :) My cage is 39x21x32 inches. How many birds could fit into it? Is it possible to have a canary and pair of zebra finches in the same cage? How "tame" do they get? I've heard that they don't get tame, however, it seems like eventually they must get somewhat used to humans. Is that so? I don't have any more actual questions (at the moment) but would appreciate it if someone could simply explain what its like to have zebra finches as pets...:)

Twisterdog
09-17-2004, 07:57 PM
I have seven zebra finches, and one society finch.

Finches should not be housed with canaries. You can house zebras with societies, but that is about it.

I have heard of the rare case of an orphaned finch raised alone by human becoming imprinted, and therefore tame. However, 99.99% of the time, finches cannot be tamed. They do not like to be handled, and are rather nervous birds.

My cage is 48" long, 36" high and 24" deep, with eight birds. However, it is too crowded. I only wanted four birds in there, but four more neglected birds were given to me. Finches can be territorial, especially if you have males and females in the same cage. They will chase and fight with other pairs. Honestly, the best bet is just one pair of finches per cage, or two pairs in a very large cage.

Finches also breed constantly, making nests, mating, laying eggs, etc. This is truly NOT what you want. It is a hassle and a headache. Zebras aren't necessarily the best parents in the finch world, and often throw their just-hatched babies out of the nest or kill them later. Societies are often used to incubate and raise zebra babies. You can manage a male/female pair without babies, if you are diligent about removing any eggs daily, and not giving them ANYwhere to nest. But it's really easier to just buy two males or two females. They will be just as happy, and much healthier.

Finches do best in a cage that is longer than it is high, as they are horizontal fliers. They do not climb up the bars or onto toys like a budgie or cockatiel does. Their only exercise is flying and hopping.

They need fresh vegtables and fruit daily. They eat seed, but also need pellets and millet. They love cuttlebone, mineral blocks and love to take baths in a shallow dish of water.

Amber
09-17-2004, 08:40 PM
I used to own 3 finches awhile back, and I am too looking for finches.

My 2 Zebra fiches were great, my one finch Mabel who was given to me by my 4th grade teacher (long time ago) was a tame finch. She was hand fed as a baby and grew up to be able to be held. It was great having a tame finch sitting on your finger.
But if you want a tame finch then you'll have to find a breeder or something to get them.

My other finch Sally wasn't tame, and never became tame., same as my other one, Pepper.

I think zebra Finches are a relaxing birds to have, I could watch them forever, and i loved there soft chirps. They can be a bit messy when they eat, and their cage gets messy fast too.

there good birds for first time owners.

nea
09-18-2004, 12:27 PM
thanks for the information!They seem like great birds...:D