PDA

View Full Version : What are some of the wierdest things you've done to make your cat happy?

catcrazylady
09-17-2004, 09:26 AM
What prompted this question for me was a reaction that I got from co-workers about something we do for Magoo.
You all know how he loves under the door play. Well, everytime hubby or I use the restroom we have these huge white fluffy paws sticking under the door. We always stopped to play with him but sometimes that is difficult when you *ahem* really gotta go! So, hubby found one of those small tension curtain rods that was long enough for us to be able to...ummmmm...sit:o and still be able to play with Magoo under the door at the same time!!:D It is now a permenant fixture in the bathroom!:rolleyes:
Now, I didn't find this odd or unusual in any way but when a co-worker asked about Magoo and I (not thinking) told about how cute he is when he plays under the bathroom door. Then I mentioned how we had solved the problem and the looks were unbelievable:eek:
I got comments like....You are ate up!!!...That is over the top Lisa!...Oh for heaven's sake! You go through all that for a CAT!!!

Anyway, I thought it was funny and it dawned on me that what some of us don't even stop to think about is really weird to others. I thought it might be fun to see what other "weird" things people do to keep the kitties happy.

Barbara
09-17-2004, 09:31 AM
Of course we leave all doors in the house open at every time of the day- but that is what all of you will do:D

But there is one cute story about my ex-husband and my ex-cat Meo. (She went to the RB 26 years ago at the age of 1,5 years and it doesn't help me against my feelings that I tell myself she couldn't be alive under any circumstances now:( ).

Meo loved to chase bugs and moths but sometimes when they were sitting at the ceiling she couldn't get them. Didier then picked the cat up and carried her chasing bugs. She understood purrfectly and got the bugs while he held her up:D :D :D

Sara luvs her Tinky
09-17-2004, 09:35 AM
ANYTHING THEIR LITTLE HEARTS DESIRE!!!!!!

EVERY MORNING... around 2 or 3 Tinky or Jupiter will paw at the window blinds .... and *I* will always get up and open the blinds so they can sit in the window

Tinky does this thing where she will run in front of you and flop down right in front of your feet.... and we always stop and pet her for a minute.. WE NEVER EVER just walk by...:D

catmandu
09-17-2004, 09:42 AM
i find pigeon feathers,and make them,into Cat Toys! It sounds,odd,but the Found Cat LOVE them,especially the long feathers!

aki
09-17-2004, 10:11 AM
This is so mean, but sometimes I purposely let moths in so Chuck can play with them. Sometimes this is the only exercise he gets! LOL

I bought a step stool so he can get into bed at night. At 10 years old, he no longer can make the distance.

Let's see what else..............oh yeah, I put a couple ice cubes a day in his water so it isn't so warm to drink. Imagine, Meowmie's baby boy having to drink WARM water. The horror! LOL

:D

catlover4ever
09-17-2004, 10:30 AM
I have done pretty much all of the above except the ice cubes....only for the fact that Abner would take the ice out of the dish and try to bury it....leaving me with water all over the floor.

I don't think this is weird but I guess you could say a little over the top, but last Christmas I bought a kitty castle, a kitty chateau and another play condo for my mom's kitties. After all they are home alone all day and I have always wanted to have them have something big to play on.

Tigger loves to drink out of the shower faucet so every day she get the water turned onto a trickle so she can drink.

Mystic loves to have her back rubbed so she has a whole aray of grooming tools special just for her.

Smokey loves turkey and gets turkey at least 5 times a week.

Abner...well Abner is Abner and pretty much gets whatever he
wants. ;) ;)

Laura's Babies
09-17-2004, 10:35 AM
Well, I think all of you know there are NO limits to what I will do for Amy... Had a handicapped ramp made for my high twin size bed...then bought a double bed so there would be room for all of them, plus ME to stretch out but the "Over The TOP" one was when I went all the way back to Hancocks (in Baton Rouge) to buy that red kitty faced fabric to make the bed for her kennel because she refused to go in it with any other color... When the lady at Hancocks asked what I wanted it for, my daughter said "Mama! Please don't tell her, she will think you are nuts!"...and yes, I did tell her. And of coarse, Mike has got the same way, making sure she had a handicapped ramp for their new perch.

catcrazylady
09-17-2004, 10:44 AM
ROFLOL!!! OMG are our cats spoiled stinking rotten or what!!! This is hilarious!!:D :D :D

jazzcat
09-17-2004, 10:54 AM
A few months ago I took a small glass of water to bed and set it on my nightstand so I could get a drink if I started coughing in the night. Well Scout, who sleeps with me, discovered it and thought it was for her. She thought that was so neat that I now keep it there just for her and the other two so they can drink from it and I fill it with fresh water every night. It's such a big hit that all three come tell me if the water is too low so I can fill it back up.

We also keep the guest bath sink filled with water for Ripley and guests who come here quickly learn to fill it back up after using it.

catland
09-17-2004, 10:59 AM
We don't spoil our kitties at all. OK - so we do arrange the pillows on the couch just the way Jan likes them. Well, ok, so I do put a towel down on the bed because Joxer likes it that way.

Ok - so the other day Sid wanted me to shake his dry food to make it better. We keep two tower feeders for them so that they don't go without. So I shook the feeder closest to him. He looked at me as if to say - that's the wrong feeder - so I had to shake the other feeder and then he would eat.

Uniqueviking
09-17-2004, 11:21 AM
Most of the things mentioned here already, lol.

+ since I live in a small apartment with 5 cats now, I've put up "catwalks" on the walls so the furbabies can literally run all over the walls in different levels and jump from one to another. I also made 2, 8 feet long (from floor to ceiling), scratching poles they can play on (they're in connection with the catwalks on one of the walls).

RedHedd
09-17-2004, 11:55 AM
Oh dear .... all of the above and putting litter boxes where THEY want for their convenience, leaving all interior doors open at all times, putting soft covers, kitty beds on surfaces that they want to sleep on so they're more comfy

and this morning I heard on Paul Harvey that they will be coming out with cell phones for our cats! According to the report the little receiver can be clipped on the cat's collar so you can call your kitty whenever you want to tell them how loved they are, you're going to be late, etc. :D

Pam
09-17-2004, 11:58 AM
If a cat is asleep on the bed, of course the bed will not be made until above mentioned cat moves. With the length of a typical kitty nap, beds can go unmade for hours. :)

ashleycat
09-17-2004, 12:11 PM
my kat likes to get spanked.. if i want her off a table or something.. if i tap her but, it just makes her excited.. this is usually happens if she was unspayed, but shes been spayed for 6 years.. she just likes to get spanked.. and she stays till you stop.. so the whole time im spankin her, shes purrin an rubbin her face on me..

o, when we sleep.. I sleep inbetween her and my hubby, lol..

i let her scratch up our suitcases, because it keeps her from scratchin the couches..

sometimes i have to walk to her food bowl when shes looking at me like she wants me to followhttp://www.geocities.com/drewbunnymore2003/site.jpg

this is drew, one of my bunnies

shais_mom
09-17-2004, 12:25 PM
My dad wanted to make me a walk in closet - I told him on the condition that he put a little hole in the wall for Kylie to get in and out to use her box. So he made a little mouse cut out type thing and then made a wooden frame over it. From the person that doesn't like cats - HA! My nephew thought he found out something so cool when he was here this summer "Stace, you have a mousehole!!!" I said "No it's a Kylie hole"

I had my dad make a shelf for the window in Kylie's closet b/c she likes to sit and watch outside but could only sit in the window if the window was opened.
I had at one time 3 bird feeders in the yard to Kylie could watch the birds out the window.

Equus217
09-17-2004, 12:32 PM
:o

OK...OK......

SO maybe all of my water jugs are opened because my girls like to play with the little plastic rings, and I currently have two loaves of bread without twistie-ties.....cause those are pretty popular too.

And maybe I have to clean the shower a little more often cause I leave the door open when I am done so the girls can lap up the yummy clean water and leave little foot prints and hairs all over.

And maybe when I brush my teeth at night I leave the faucet dripping a little longer than I should.....

And maybe the power bill is a few dollars more every month cause the back door stays open in the evenings so the girls can go in and out to the screen porch at their leisure.....

And maybe....JUST MAYBE......I re-arranged the living room furniture so that the couch is in the middle and not against the wall.....you see...Vegas likes to lay on the floor and claw her way around the bottom of the couch in circles....:eek:

What?? This isn't normal???!!??:rolleyes:

shais_mom
09-17-2004, 12:34 PM
well since I can't get the links to work as pics I will have to attach the pics

shais_mom
09-17-2004, 12:35 PM
and this one too

christa
09-17-2004, 12:47 PM
LOL . . . funny thread. I think that ONLY cat lovers would understand OUR antics! :D

* I make tents on the couch for Josie to sleep under (with blankets) on a daily basis.

* Pull the blinds EVERY morning so she can watch out the front window.

* Josie has a night light beside her food & water so she can see at night. (I read somewhere that cats see best in semi-darkness, not total darkness)

* Treats EVERY morning when we get up.

* Cat toys in EVERY room!

* Gets a piece of chicken every time I saute or boil chicken.

* Gets turkey every morning when my husband is making his lunch to take to work (just because she's learned to beg for it!)

* Her own Christmas stocking, gifts, Valentines . . .

OK, that's all I can think of for now . . . LOL . . . our cats have it better than a lot of humans!

tweetlebug
09-17-2004, 01:14 PM
My Sammy Baby, (who died last week) loved classical music. I would fluff the covers on the bed up and he would lay down on them, and I would tune the stereo onto a classical radio station, and then I would go turn the fan on low, shut the door and go do my thing. And then i would go back in there a few mins. later, and he would have moved to lay on my pillow so the fan would blow on him. So sweet!!:D

jazzcat
09-17-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by tweetlebug
My Sammy Baby, (who died last week) loved classical music. I would fluff the covers on the bed up and he would lay down on them, and I would tune the stereo onto a classical radio station, and then I would go turn the fan on low, shut the door and go do my thing. And then i would go back in there a few mins. later, and he would have moved to lay on my pillow so the fan would blow on him. So sweet!!:D
Welcome to PT Leah. I'm so sorry to hear about Sammy, he sounds like a wonderful cat. I'm sure you miss him very much.

QueenScoopalot
09-17-2004, 02:27 PM
Well Sweet Pea HAS to be stretched multiple times each day...I ask her if she wants to stretch? She puts her front legs up and I have to push under her little kitty-pits to make sure she gets a very looooonggg stretch! Then I pick her up and stretch her hind legs out behind her, and her front legs out in front. I tell her she's "The longest kitty in Lynn" LOL! Chip just has to play his games while I'm trying to make the bed. :rolleyes: He loves it when I throw the covers over him and say "where's Chip"? He chirps, and comes flying out so I can do it over & over again. Never a dull moment here.

animal_rescue
09-17-2004, 03:23 PM
hmm I don't spoil my cats one bit!... excuse me Collin wants his tummy rubbed and Lily wants a treat:p

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-18-2004, 02:06 AM
I probably do MOST of the above, but I think my worst is when I am shopping on a limited budget, and I put things back on the shelves so I have enough money for cat litter and HAM for the cats!

sirrahned
09-18-2004, 10:44 AM
..I admit it we rarely shut the bathroom door (unless we have guests in the house, of course) ...Cats seem to crave attention at the most inopportune times. Only cat people can understand how us cat lovers think.

I sawed a big hole in a perfectly good solid core wooden door just so my cats could think they are outdoors. They pass through this catdoor into the "wilds" of our Florida room. They love it...but people who are cat-disadvantaged (don't own a cat) would never understand why we do so much for these little critters.

sirrahbed
09-18-2004, 11:16 AM
Sheesh:o I think we probably do most of the above. I thnk one of the funniest - some of you know this one - but Emily has a nightly ritual of laying on Dennis's chest and "nursing" on the covers and making biscuits. The few times we have gone out of town, he makes a "pillow dummy" of himself - a teeshirt covered pillow of himself and partly under the covers where he sleeps:D We can always come home and tells she uses it too!!!

We also NEVER leave the house without turning on the radio for them. They like country western music best;) - so that is the station we leave on for them.

Dylan does not like to dine alone, so one of us will often sit on the kitchen floor with him and keep him company:D

There is plenty more!!:o :rolleyes: :D :p

catcrazylady
09-18-2004, 11:21 AM
Ok, after reading all these responses I'm going to have to tell my co-workers that I'm far from the only "over the top" cat person out there!
Isn't it amazing how well these critters have us trained!;) :D :D :D :D

Lacey
09-18-2004, 11:49 AM
Well, who ever heard of spoiling cats so? I would never! Oh, um, excuse me just a moment. I've got to get some water running in the bathroom sink so Mowg can get a drink. And I really must dust the top of the cabinets so that Zelda's favorite escape from Mowgli spot doesn't get her all dirty. And... {insert a couple hours worth of rambling here}

lizzielou742
09-18-2004, 01:06 PM
* Never shut the bathroom door while one of us is taking a bath - who could deny kitties the chance to watch the tub fill?

* My dining room table has become kitty palace - underneath! I put kitty beds on the chairs while they are pushed under the table to make a nice place for kitties to sleep. There are currently two cat beds under there. Here is what I am talking about:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid139/pc320605911a3ddba5b6d89623d57a220/f6f8c245.jpg
Plus they get to walk all over the top of ot whenever they want. Good thing we never eat off it!

There's probably more but I can't think of them right now. :o

nibblets
09-18-2004, 01:40 PM
hmmmm...
- a perch or platform at every window in case her highness needs to watch outside.
- dozens of cat toys (i buy the comets (http://metpet.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/bat&swat.html) in the bag of 24 just because she loves them. They are lost all over the house)
- lying in an uncomfortable position without moving so I don't wake her when she is laying on me sleeping.
- leaving the TV on when we are not home to keep Julie and Buddy from feeling 'home alone'.
-hand feeding little clumps of cat grass to my babygirl
- and the easiest of all, telling her she is the most beautiful girl in the whole world and kissing her tabby 'M' every day

ActionCat007
09-18-2004, 01:54 PM
I feed Katie and Simba out of 100 year old china dessert bowls, my mother thinks I'm crazy. Also Katie loves the side of her belly rubbed when she is eatting, so I do that for her. It's funny because if I stop rubbing her belly when she is eatting she will stop.

sqwelch
09-18-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Barbara

Meo loved to chase bugs and moths but sometimes when they were sitting at the ceiling she couldn't get them. Didier then picked the cat up and carried her chasing bugs. She understood purrfectly and got the bugs while he held her up:D :D :D

We used to do that to our RB boy Jock, he appreciated it too, that was one of his favourite passtimes bugchasing !!

Bonnie likes to play a mixture of hide n seek and chases, we basically chase her round the house (and vice versa) hiding behind doors or in wardrobes along the way !!! My workmates just wouldn't understand heehee :D

slick
09-18-2004, 09:26 PM
The usual, if the cats are lying on the bed, the bed does not get made, sometimes for the whole day.

This afternoon I was out in the morning and when I came home I took off my sweatshirt and put it on the bed, knowing that I was going to put it on a couple of hours later because I had to go out again. 30 min later, Max was laying on the sweatshirt, so when I had to go out, I picked out another one to wear. :rolleyes:

If the cats are sleeping at either end of the couch and leave only a couple of inches for me, that will do. God forbid I should move a sleeping cat. :rolleyes:

catnapper
09-18-2004, 09:49 PM
LOL! What a thread!

There are so many things I do without thinking of it!
~ They always have fresh ice in their water bowls.

~ I make sure the laundry basket is level and clear of things that might be uncomfortable to lie on... they must be cozy while pressing my towels ;)

~ First thing I do every morning - before I do ANYTHING else is open up the balcony door so Pouncer can go sit and watch the woirld go by.

I'm sure I do many more things, but nothing is coming to mind right now! If I had thought of the tention rod things, I would have done it too!

LaRana
09-20-2004, 01:29 PM
When my cat was a kitten and had an infection in his bowels (very stinky), I had to wipe his bum with a moist towelette to keep it clean. It was not my most glorifying moment....

I just wiped and said: You know, I must really love you.....

Uabassoon
09-20-2004, 01:37 PM
I microwave their food. They split a half can of wet food daily so the other half goes into the fridge. The next day they don't like to eat it cold so I microwave it for a few seconds so that it's not so cold.

prechrswife
09-20-2004, 06:23 PM
Every time we open a new milk container or jug of water, the ring automatically goes on the floor for the cats. We were on vacation last week, and I almost caught myself dropping one on the floor, even though the cats were at home.:)

moosmom
09-20-2004, 07:01 PM
Doogie LOVES grapes. But...they have to be peeled. So, that's what I do for my boy.