PDA

View Full Version : Going out of the box

Mao
10-21-2001, 05:20 PM
Atticus is about 9 - 10 years old and a neutered male. He has been very good about going in his litter box.

Lately, he urinated and pooped in a corner in our apartment. Sometimes he urinates outside the box. He also poops in the same room as the box, but not in it.

There is no stress going on in his life. He is on pills to make his poop solid, but he has had no problems with those before.

It seems he is drinking more water and urinating in his box faster than I can clean it out (scoopable litter).

Do I need to retrain him on how to use a box? Take him to the vet? What? :confused:

yorkster
10-21-2001, 07:18 PM
Mao- Get your cat to a vet right away! I don't know about the pooping, but drinking lots of water and excessive urinating is a STRONG sign of kidney problems....either failure or cancer or something. I know what I am talking about, because my cat (Liza) died last year from it. She was 12 years old and starting drinking a lot of water and going pee way more than normal. I did not know that it was a 'sign' of problems until it was too late. At first she seemed to feel fine, and by the time she acted sick it was too late. I felt sooooo horrible and guilty. I am sorry to scare you, and I hope it is not the case with your cat, but odds are, that there is definately something going on with the kidneys. Go to the vet right away, and good luck. Please let us know how things go.

yorkster
10-21-2001, 07:22 PM
Me again- I just noticed your cats name: Atticus. I like that name a lot, and I have a dog named Scout from the same book/movie.
Good luck and let us know how things turn out!

Mao
10-21-2001, 07:43 PM
Thanks yorkster. You didn't freak me out. His behavior is normal, he still plays and begs for food. :) I will call the vet in the morning. Thanks!

BTW... that is my favorite book. I decided to name animals after characters I like instead of having a kid live with that name for life. :D

yorkster
10-22-2001, 02:40 AM
Mao- that is one of my favorite books also (I have a few). Good idea about not sticking a kid with a 'movie' name. I REALLY like the name Atticus- I might borrow it some day! I actually have a cat right now that it would be perfect for, but he is 7 years old, so it's too late to change it now. Let us know how things go with the vet this week.

purrley
10-22-2001, 07:07 AM
Mao - I hope you will get your kitty to the vet ASAP, just like yorkster said, frequent urination is definately a kidney related problem - I too, lost a cat due to this problem. All the symptoms you described is exactly what my cat went through. When these kitties start doing things away from the norm that is usually their way of letting us know that something is wrong. Let us know how things are going.

Mao
10-22-2001, 07:16 AM
We are going to the vet today in 2 hours. Oops, Atticus is sitting behind me on the couch... good thing he can't read! He HATES the vet!

Mao
10-23-2001, 09:20 AM
All tests are NEGATIVE!!! :)

purrley
10-23-2001, 09:52 AM
Mao- That's wonderful :D You did well to check that one out just to ease your mind - now about Atticus' potty problem UMMM what's next?

[ October 23, 2001: Message edited by: purrley ]

crow_noir
10-23-2001, 07:56 PM
yeah!!! Atticus isn't going to die from Kidney problems!!!!

(anyone have any advice on how to prevent kidney problems?)

AmberLee
10-23-2001, 08:04 PM
Great news about Atticus, Mao!

I've heard great things about filtered recirculating waterbowls being helpful, but don't have any ideas beyond that. We use the Drinkwell brand pet fountain. My cats are very enthusiastic users of it, but I worry about the motor burning out (again -- long stupid story...). Spencer mentioned something about a new breakthrough in these waterbowls, but I don't remember quite when or where he told about it.

Good luck.

crow_noir
10-23-2001, 08:17 PM
Thank you Amber!

yorkster
10-23-2001, 11:18 PM
Sooooo good to hear that Atticus does not have kidney problems. I really don't know what else could cause these problems. Did you ask your vet? That is where I would start.