PDA

View Full Version : A Heartwarming True Story.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
09-16-2004, 08:24 PM
I am in the highschool band, and we were marching down the street one day, practicing for an upcoming parade. It was nearing Veteran's Day, and we came upon the house of this elderly man, about to put the American flag up on his flag pole for the day.

Our band stopped, and my teacher, Mr. Murray, cued us to turn and play the Star Spangled Banner as the man put the flag up.

We finished, all of us silent, as the man turned to us, with tears in his eyes, and whispered, "Thank you... so much." And he went back inside.

Mr. Murray said to us all as we entered the bandroom again:

"That man will never forget what you just did for him today. He will never, ever forget the day that a band came an played the Star Spangled Banner for him as he hung his flag. Ever."

And then he dismissed class.

:) Just remember what a little kindness can do. :) This is my true story, by the way. It brings a shiver to my spine every time I think about that man. :)

sammy101
09-16-2004, 08:33 PM
aww hat brought tears to my eyes.he must have been happy.:)

slick
09-16-2004, 09:43 PM
Some years ago during the dead of winter I was taking the bus home from work because we had alot of snow on the ground. I was waiting at the bus loop for my connection and there was a whole crowd of people there with me.

I spotted this elderly man waiting for the same bus as me and he was wearing a trench coat and hat but no boots and no umbrella. The wet snow was falling hard and the ground was covered in slush.

I went over to him and offered him a place under my umbrella which he gratefully accepted. I also noticed his nose was running (mine runs too when it's cold out...) so I gave him a kleenex from my pocket. We chatted until we got on the bus. When he reached his stop, he came over to me and put his cold hand on my cheek and said "good-bye and thank you".

This happened about a year after my father died and to this day I can't get him out of my mind. He reminded me so much of him. I hope when I get that old someone will come to my aid when I need it.

jazzcat
09-16-2004, 11:24 PM
You guys are making me teary eyed. Things like that can make such a lasting impact on all parties involved, and those of us who hear the story later.