PDA

View Full Version : Do you live in the country or the city?

Buddy Blaze Lover
09-16-2004, 05:47 PM
I live in the city (Lexington, KY) but I have lived in the country before (on 10 acres) and LOVED it much better. Right now we really don't have a choice. Do you live in the country or city? Are you happy where you are living or would you rather live somewhere else? ;)

BitsyNaceyDog
09-16-2004, 08:53 PM
I live in the country, kind of. I'm not in town, but it's not really country enough for me. When I was little I lived a house surrounded by fields, cows, and woods, I miss that.

catnapper
09-16-2004, 09:00 PM
I live a mile from a major city. But then not even ten minutes away is beautiful pristine farmland. My area is very odd to say the least! :D

We have gangs on the left side of me, and Amish on the right.

Cookiebaker
09-16-2004, 09:01 PM
I live in the country. We own almost an acre of land, but we live right next to the woods. We also have a river that flows right behind our house, we have a view of Mount Ascutney from our windows, and we live right next to a 1-mile nature trail.

GoldenRetrLuver
09-16-2004, 09:05 PM
City.

I'd love to live in the country, but I have to say there are a few things about our area that I do like. We're a few minutes away from the Groucery store, Pet stores, Starbucks ;), etc. Just get rid of our neighbors, and I'm all set. I would like to live in the country one day, though..

Tollers-n-Dobes
09-16-2004, 09:09 PM
I live in Calgary, Alberta so it's a city but I'd prefer to live in the country so I could have a big yard and 2 horses:D

slleipnir
09-16-2004, 09:11 PM
City. For now I am happy here, but when I'm older I want to live in the country and have lots of land in which I want to have a large area for horses and a large area for dogs. Perhaps other animals too. I want to foster them or whatever till they get good homes.

carole
09-16-2004, 09:12 PM
I live in a suburb about ten mins or less to the city, I am also only like two minutes away from being in the country, so its pretty good really, I used to have country paddocks opposite me with Donkeys and sheep and cows, but it got sold and now it a brand new housing subdivision with good quality homes, good for the valuation of my property.

I am close to all amenities, schools, parks,main Hospital,etc, and I have lived here for 21 years now, there is an old folks home just been built a stones throw away, so I guess when the time comes I can move there lol, at least I will still be in the same neighbourhood.

I have the university of Waikato within walking distance, so a lot of the properties are rentals around the corner from me and not too well looked after, where I am is mostly owned and is ok.

I just wish there was a beautiful view of the ocean nearby, still thats only like 45 mins drive away.

Hamilton is a city with about 140.000 people, so its not huge, but big enough to have most things I enjoy in life. Auckland is the big smoke , and you could not pay me enough to live there.

Desert Arabian
09-16-2004, 10:02 PM
I'm in a village of 32,000 people and Milwaukee is only 5 miles away and there are over 600,000 people in Milwaukee. Menomonee Falls (where I live) is a mini-Milwaukee. I HATE WHERE I LIVE! I cannot stand the city/village! HATE THE CITY!

COUNTRY! LOVE IT! I can't wait 'til we move! When I get older, I am living out in the middle of nowhere on a farm loaded with animals and the nearest city is 10+ miles away.

Yeah it is nice to drive a mile down the road and pass 30 restaurants and 150 shopping centers- but when your neighbors are 2 feet from your house with no privacy at all on an itty bitty lot it drives you nuts! I want to be able to run around in my underwear and have no neighbors to worry about- I can paint my house bright yellow and not have to worry about Joe Schmo's house not matching ours, etc.

I'm a city girl and hate it with a passion. :mad: :mad:

Desert Arabian
09-16-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Cookiebaker
I live in the country. We own almost an acre of land, but we live right next to the woods. We also have a river that flows right behind our house, we have a view of Mount Ascutney from our windows, and we live right next to a 1-mile nature trail.

Ok....I have decided I don't like you anymore.

You have a yellow lab....jealous
You have a black lab....jealous
You live in the country...jealous
You have a nature trail by your house....jealous
You live by the woods....jealous
You have a river in your backyard....jealous

You know what....I'm so jealous....I don't like you anymore.

:D ;) :p :cool:

Hehe, just kidding, I love you....but I'm (still) jealous.

Tonya
09-16-2004, 10:15 PM
I am at a happy medium. I live in the city but right on the city limits. The country starts just behind my house. Someday, I would like some land for animals, but land is really expensive here so it'll be a while.

davidpizzica
09-17-2004, 03:10 AM
I live really close to the city of Pittsburgh, but if you go about 20 miles north, you will find alot of farmland and open spaces.

jenluckenbach
09-17-2004, 05:15 AM
I live in the city. And just so you know that there are other viewpoints, living in the middle of nowhere (i.e. the country) would be my personal nightmare. I often wonder how people can live so far from EVERTHING!!!

swimma253
09-17-2004, 06:29 AM
I live around syracuse NY.... in the COUNTRY!!!

I have 27 acres of land... :p

But I LOVE living where I live! :D And so does Meeka! :p

Cincy'sMom
09-17-2004, 06:32 AM
City

I'd love to have a few acres in the country In fact, my friend and I joke when she finsihes remoldeling her house and her daughter (who is a sophomore) gradutes HS I am buying her house so they can move to a smaller house with more land. The dream would be great...she has 3 acres with a barn, pond, 2 pastures, and a dog run. The reality is her houses would make the commute to work about 45 minutes for both of us and a lot of that country roads that would be bad in the winter. It is fun to dream though :)

Pam
09-17-2004, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Cookiebaker

COLOR ME GREEN!!! Anna I have vacationed up in your neck of the woods and it is just beautiful. The house that we rent is in Franconia and you can sit on the front porch and look out at the mountain. There is also a nature trail right near the house and my hubby has enjoyed hiking up there. One morning I was sitting out on the porch with my coffee enjoying the view and the solitude and someone jogged by. I have no idea where he came from! LOL! I could live there easily. I would miss the closeness of a mall, though, but hey I think I could sacrifice it to live amidst all of the beauty. ;)

I live in the suburbs, about 10 miles outside of Philadelphia and I'm 50 miles from the South Jersey shore which I love. For now I am content, but I would love a more country-style life some day! :)

LorraineO
09-17-2004, 07:33 AM
sort of inbetween,,, I am on the ocean... gotta love that!!

Samantha Puppy
09-17-2004, 08:45 AM
The county I live in is still considered country very much, but I live outside the largest population area in it, so I'm sort of both I guess. It's not a city by any stretch of the imagination but it isn't rolling hills of undeveloped country either. That's nearby, though.

pitc9
09-17-2004, 10:12 AM
Growing up I lived in the country I LOVED it!
My hubby grew up in the city.

Now we live kind of in the middle.

We have almost an acre of land, neighbors close by, little mom and pop's grocery store near buy....but no sidewalks... so it's kind of a little of both.

But both the hubby and I want to move soon, and buy a house in the country!

Randi
09-17-2004, 10:43 AM
I live in the city, in fact 20 min. walk from the center. Here's a map of Copenhagen - if you can find the red square which surrounds the center, I live to the left of that - right where it says Nørrebro. I can see the park from my window, there's 5 min. walk to the artificial lakes which run across Copenhagen.

http://www.euroave.com/maps/00mapx.php?xcity=copenhagen

I would love to live to the north of Copenhagen, but a little country village would also be nice, preferably close to a river, or on the seaside with mountains behind. :)

cloverfdx
09-17-2004, 10:55 AM
I live in the biggest regional (country) city in the state of Victoria, Australia. It is ok we have the country and farms about 5 minutes drive away (The whole city is surrounded by country land) and about 5 minutes towards the middles of the city is all of the malls and shopping centers. I would love to move out of town more and have more land for the dogs, we are thinking about it at the moment :D.

I will find a map for you :).

Tina
09-17-2004, 10:55 AM
I live in the Country.

I live about 2 miles outside of a small town called Union. We live back on a mountain road. I love where we live since our house is not right on the road.:)

Only thing we don't own much land maybe about 1/2 arce is all.:(

BCBlondie
09-17-2004, 11:01 AM
I live in a city, but it's not a major populated one or anything like San Francisco is.. No giant buildings here or anything... just mostly houses and a few shopping streets with some mom/pop-type shops... We're about 30 mins from SF and 30 mins from the country. I hope to one day actually move out into the country. My cousin lives an hour and a half from me in the country and I love it there! :)

buckner
09-17-2004, 01:41 PM
I live in the suburbs of Louisville, KY. Techincally, Louisville is a city, but I'd rather think of it as a large town. Cities are known for high prices for houses, land, merchandise, etc. If you compare Louisville's prices with New York's, Chicago's, or California's, you'll see Louisville is definitely a town. :)

However, if we move, we'll be moving to a small little town in the country. When I go off to college, I want it to be in a small town and for it to be a small school. Not quite city, not quite country. :)

cali
09-17-2004, 01:58 PM
city, but we are moving to an acerage after I graduate :p

dappledoxie
09-17-2004, 02:08 PM
I live in the country, about 10 miles from a small city and I'm about an hour from Raleigh so I really like where I live right now. It's nice. :)

popcornbird
09-17-2004, 02:19 PM
City here. I've lived in the city my whole life and can't exactly see myself living in the countryside. I *love* visiting farm areas, but I'm not sure if I could live there. I like being close to friends, close to school, close to stores, close to everything, and not living away from everyone and everything. I don't like big cities at all, and can't see myself living in the midst of Los Angeles or San Francisco either. I want to run from there everytime I visit. The big buildings and over population bothers me. :p I like peaceful cities. ;)

Amber
09-17-2004, 03:23 PM
I live in a small town, but after the town it's alllll country.

Karen
09-17-2004, 03:37 PM
A nice suburban piece of neighborhood in a "city" - it's a suburb of Boston. I'd love to live on a lot of land with lots of trees, but at least here, on our little street, there's no house behind my house, just woods and then the cemetary. I always felt sorry for people with houses behind their houses, and that's how most of Newton is. I've got lots of wildlife here, though, birds - including pheasants and mourning doves, chipmonks, squirrels, newts, garter snakes, a short-tailed shrew - all have been spotted in my itty-bitty yard!

primabella
09-17-2004, 03:45 PM
In the city but not too close to the downtown area, so it's still pretty quiet. :)

I think I'd love to live in the country though. I'm thinking about owning a country place by a lake once I'm older.

jazzcat
09-17-2004, 04:27 PM
I live in the suburbs of a city so even though I'm minutes away from lots of things it still has a nice "out of the city" feel. Kind of the best of both worlds but I do wish I had more land.

Fox-Gal
09-17-2004, 04:36 PM
I live way out in the country and wouldn't live any where else.
We have 5 acers, next to the third largest lake in FLorida surrounded by cattle ranches and orange trees. We are about 20 min. from a real town. There is a small town of sorts closer, but if you blinked you'd miss it, it has two churches, a post office, pizza place and small small store. :rolleyes:

At times I miss the city, but when you can drive down the road never hit a red light/stop sign for 15 mins. see deer, wild turkeys, bobcats etc etc., you forget all about city life.

Kfamr
09-17-2004, 04:38 PM
I live in the city, unfortunately.
I'd love to live in the country...... a small little town in the country.

Uabassoon
09-17-2004, 04:39 PM
I live in the city, I'm right in the center of Tucson. Growing up though I lived out in the country our family owned 50 acres, but we didn't actually live on all of it. I think our house was built on 5 acres, then we had some woodlands and my grandparents lived on the other side on 10 acres, 10 acres is pasture, and the other 25 we rent out to a farmer and he grows crops on it.

Buddy Blaze Lover
09-22-2004, 02:56 PM
That's really funny...most of us live in the city, but would rather be in the country! (or if you're in the country, you love it!!) ;) Sorry I didn't get back sooner...I was gone all weekend. :)