PDA

View Full Version : when your dog barks,, you say??????

LorraineO
09-16-2004, 04:02 PM
Was wondering what you ladies say when your baby/babies bark like idiots???

I always yell WOULD YOU LEARN TO MEOW????

dogs_4_me
09-16-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by LorraineO

I always yell WOULD YOU LEARN TO MEOW????

LOL thats a good one:D

Emma doesnt bark, but once moco starts barking there is noooo stopping him:D

Queen of Poop
09-16-2004, 04:22 PM
I say "Un huhn, and then what happened?"

aly
09-16-2004, 04:22 PM
Lolly gets excited and happy when she barks. Since she doesn't do it really often, I always let her bark for a few minutes then say "that's enough" and she'll come get a treat for being quiet.

Reece only barks when Lolly does, and most of the time has no clue what he's barking at :rolleyes: :D

pitc9
09-16-2004, 04:30 PM
If they are barking because someone is at the door, or in the driveway, I let them bark for a little. Just to let that person know not to do anything stupid!!:D

But if they are barking just to make noise, or something, I tell them to "Settle down" Or I say "Ah Ah"

They know when I say that I mean business!!!
:D

Samantha Puppy
09-16-2004, 04:32 PM
I usually pretend like Samantha and I are having a conversation. She'll bark and I'll say, "No! Are you serious?" and she'll bark again and I'll say, "I can't believe it either!" and she'll bark and I'll say, "I agree, that bitch down the street is a total skank." and so on and so on. My husband thinks it's hilarious.

Tollers-n-Dobes
09-16-2004, 04:32 PM
I say "Quiet".

GiantSchnauzer
09-16-2004, 04:38 PM
My Giant isn't much of a barker. She barks when someones comes to the door or in the yard.

chocolatepuppy
09-16-2004, 04:41 PM
I start with shh, then settle, then shut the h*ll up! :eek: Mandy's bark is like a 'woof' and not too bad but Lacey could break your eardrums! If they have a reason to bark fine but I try to teach them to quiet after I check it out. :)

bsherman
09-17-2004, 06:54 AM
Tawny really only barks when she wants something and she can be demanding. It usually starts with Stop that, then STOPPPPP, then I get up and get her what she wants. Not tooo spoiled, heh! I did teach her about 2 years ago to say please, which is a small woof, but it always starts with her bossy bark. If she barks in the rec room, she shakes her head because it echos back at her. We all get a laugh out of that.

Pam
09-17-2004, 07:03 AM
My dogs bark for basically two reasons....either someone is at the door or there is a critter in the woods behind our house. The barking at the door doesn't last very long so I usually don't even bother to tell them to stop. The barking at the critters is another thing, especially if it is late at night or early in the morning (neighbors, you know :o ). I shout "No Bark!" Sometimes it works with Bella but it never works with Ripley. :rolleyes:

senorita02
09-17-2004, 07:31 AM
Face doesnt bark unless there is good reason & then i will just let him to scare off people approaching the house or whatever, and Rita barks at EVERYTHING, I usually say "Easy Girl" and she'll start wagging her tail and look up at me and she stops.

Rachel
09-17-2004, 07:49 AM
It's *No Bark* in this house, and those words just rang out a few minutes ago. Sometimes I do say...*That's enough*. These phrases are usually accompanied by a very loud HANNAH

dukedogsmom
09-17-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
I usually pretend like Samantha and I are having a conversation. She'll bark and I'll say, "No! Are you serious?" and she'll bark again and I'll say, "I can't believe it either!" and she'll bark and I'll say, "I agree, that bitch down the street is a total skank." and so on and so on. My husband thinks it's hilarious.
That is so funny! If I know it's alright, I say Duke. Then, he usually doesn't stop so I end up yelling "Duke, that's enough!" He doesn't back down easily.

cloverfdx
09-17-2004, 09:13 AM

LOL i do this aswell, when it is OK to bark that is. :D

At times when it is not fine to bark, say 2am i say "Quiet" if that does not work i then bring out the "Bah" and then if that one does not work they get a "SHUT UP" ;). "Bah" usualy works though.

micki76
09-17-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by pitc9
If they are barking because someone is at the door, or in the driveway, I let them bark for a little. Just to let that person know not to do anything stupid!!:D

I do the same thing.

But if they're barking just to bark, they get a 'hush'. If that doesn't work, 'that's ENOUGH!' usually does the trick.

Sometimes I just say, 'hey, hey, HEY!' :D

lute
09-17-2004, 10:14 AM
when beanie barks i just talk back. sometimes we hold on whole convos.lol

when i had maddie. she couldn't bark. she was de-barked. so when she would attempt to bark i'd say "huh? speak up i can't hear you!"

Tina
09-17-2004, 11:24 AM
If they are barking for a reason I usually let them stop on their own. But sometimes Reggie doesn't know when to stop.:rolleyes:

I usually say "Quiet" "Be Quiet" or "Stop Barking" if that doesn't work then I tell them "Shut Up" Usually "Quiet" works or "Be Quiet"

Smilla
09-17-2004, 11:30 AM
I say "No Speak!" When it continues (it usually does), I say, "Lefty, stop being a pill." Then, "Lefty, if you don't quit it I'm going to wring your chicken neck!"

The Spoiled One has taken to barking at me when we're getting ready to go outside, especially after I get home from work and am trying to put my stuff down before getting his collar and a poop bag. It's VERY loud and annoying. My behaviorist suggested stopping all activity, folding my arms and looking away until the barking stops. It USUALLY works, though often when I start moving again, he starts barking again. :rolleyes:

ParNone
09-17-2004, 11:34 AM
If I'm busy or sleeping, I start off with "Oh, can't we just this once, let Timmy die in the well?". If it's Oz doing the barking though, I go investigate, because it's guaranteed there's a problem he's trying to tell me about. He immediately stops barking, once I go check. Figures his job is done, I guess. :)

Amber
09-17-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by ParNone
"Oh, can't we just this once, let Timmy die in the well?".

haha! :p

I just tell my 2 to "Shhhh!" or "Hush!"

LorraineO
09-17-2004, 11:44 AM
If I'm busy or sleeping, I start off with "Oh, can't we just this once, let Timmy die in the well?".

:D :D :D TOO FUNNY!!!!!!

Smilla
09-17-2004, 12:05 PM
That really IS funny. I may borrow that. ;)

cocker_luva
09-17-2004, 03:13 PM
i say Jesse's name everytime she barks until she pays attention to me, then i say 'hush, bubby' she'll usually stop.

Linda York
09-17-2004, 05:22 PM
:) I usually say "Boys, NO BARKING". Or just "No Barking".

My husabnd says, "BONEHEADS, KNOCK IT OFF"! Which do you think is more effective???? :confused: :eek:
Him telling them to "knock it off"......... :eek: Has to be his voice!

I have learned to hate the pizza commercial on TV, the one where the door bell rings three or four times druing the whole commercial.

LorraineO
09-17-2004, 05:24 PM
Very handsome boys you got there,,, ESP the furless one,,,, ;)

Rio and Me
09-17-2004, 05:54 PM
I dont hush Rio at all, i let her bark untill she thinks she should stop.
she's not a barking dog unless somone is around or she's herd somthing ETC, so i praise her for the warning.
I'm a scared person (eg the dark, strangers ETC) so i want a loud dog, i know she will never bark on comand but she will growl at strangers (thats their warning).
So It's "good girls" all the way.

Ky

BCBlondie
09-17-2004, 07:47 PM
Monica is ALWAYS yapping at something.. It's veerry annoying. She just sits on the back steps and barks at the air. :rolleyes: I'm always yelling, "NO BARKING!!!" lol

ComedyDevil
09-17-2004, 07:52 PM
Toby and Squid only really bark if someone comes onto the drive or if someone stands outside for a while, so I let them bark.

Ollie barks at everything - even when there's nothing there. :rolleyes: and when he's busy barking at something, he totally ignores me, so its "Ollie, OLLIE, OLLIE!" And when he finally looks round - "shush" :p

Twisterdog
09-17-2004, 08:03 PM
I usually start with, "Hey! Hush!" ... which of course they don't.

Then I progress to, "Enough! Shut Up!" ... which sometimes helps, and sometimes not.

Then I usually end up screeching, "HEEEYYYYY! I'm going to beat your a**es!" :o

I never claimed to be calm and consistent.

;)

RobiLee
09-18-2004, 06:50 AM
My girls aren't barkers so on the rare occasion when one does bark...usually Katie I know that something is going on and I need to take a look. I usually just give her a pat on the head and thank her for letting me know something out of the ordinary is going on.

Now, when it comes to play time that is when we have all the noise. Its mostly Tori and I wouldn't call it barking. That girl makes some silly and goofy noises...lol. That is when I give out a holler...usually..."GIRLS" Usually I'm too happy watching them play and listening to all those goofy sounds to even holler at them...LOL

Robin :)

lovemyshiba
09-18-2004, 10:18 AM
I start out nice and calm, with a "hush", or "quiet," which escalates to "QUIET" "STOP IT" or "SHUT UP", and eventually just leads to "ABBEY GET IN THIS HOUSE RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!"

Abbey's my barker, and it's so often at nothing outside. I do have neighbors, you know;)

Funny story though--one evening, the dogs were outside, and I was in doing something. All of a sudden I heard a howl, and a deep barkiing--it was Riley!!!!:eek: I ran out, because he's not much of a barker, and his tone made me nervous, and there he was, standing on the deck, howling into the sky. There were 2 hot air balloons floating in the air, and I suppose he's never seen them before, and he did NOT like them--I had to bring him inside:D

Kfamr
09-18-2004, 10:20 AM
"SHUT THE .... UP!!!!" LOL

Normally I say "HUSH IT" or "Hey!"

LorraineO
09-18-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
"SHUT THE .... UP!!!!" LOL

Normally I say "HUSH IT" or "Hey!"

Hey, if the BLANK in your saying starts with F,,, you and I are the same,,, ,:D :D :D

GoldenRetrLuver
09-18-2004, 02:48 PM
If I'm busy or sleeping, I start off with "Oh, can't we just this once, let Timmy die in the well?".

LOL! I'll have to try that one! :D

Molly's my barker. Daisy rarely barks, but sometimes Molly gets her going. I'll either say "NO! Hush!", or "NO BARKING!", and when she finally stops, and she comes to the door wanting to be let in, I say "Didja scare off all bad guys?" and she'll give me a satisfied smile. :rolleyes:

Aspen and Misty
09-18-2004, 03:48 PM
"Quite" we had to use it for breeze. Normally I would say "Enough" but O well, I was supposed to train Breeze to use Quite as her stop barking comand but she trained me!

Ash