PDA

View Full Version : Remember Max, the puppy behind bars?

Albea
09-16-2004, 08:41 AM
Some of you may remember the story of Max, the Golden puppy who spent 8 months behind bars because of the ignorance and arrogance of an Animal Control Officer. In this state all that is required for that position is to be a good friend of the police chief.
At the time, like many other readers, I sent a letter to the editor of the Hartford Courant, which was published and also an e-mail to my representative asking him to introduce legislation to require some training for ACOs.
It took some time, but I finally got an answer from my state representative. Here it is:

"I will be happy to sponsor legislation which would require some type of training and certification for animal control officers. I will work with Animal Advocates Connecticut to develop the legislation. They recently endorsed me for re-election. I regret not responding earlier to your very reasonable request and hope to draft this legislation after November.
Thank you for your patience."

Whether or not this will become a bill I don't know.
However, I feel good that I took a stand and made my outrage at the situation known. Nothing works better than to make a fuss during an election year.
Wish us luck.

Sudilar
09-16-2004, 11:10 AM
Good luck! All the states should pass such requirements.

micki76
09-16-2004, 11:27 AM
Good on you. I hope something good does really come of it. Sometimes all we need to do is get involved and voice our thoughts. :)

tatsxxx11
09-16-2004, 11:31 AM
Way to go Alicia!!! You're amazing:) I'm so glad that you were finally sent a response to your letter. Making ones voice heard can make a difference! Perhaps there is hope for such legislation passing! Here, the AC officer is not only required to be trained and certified in animal behaivor/training but is also a police officer and it makes a world of difference. Good luck CT!

P.S...Hugs to you Carina:)

K9soul
09-16-2004, 02:42 PM
That must feel wonderful, you should be really proud of yourself for taking the steps you did. Too often it is just too easy to say "well there's nothing I can do about it" and leave it at that. I hope the legislation is passed.

I believe the AC officer here is part of the Police Department as well.

LorraineO
09-16-2004, 03:57 PM
FANFREAKINGTASTC!!!!! you go girl!!

puppyluvs
09-16-2004, 04:17 PM
Wonderful I agree you go girl !!!!!!!!!!!!

clara4457
09-16-2004, 06:07 PM
Great Job!!!!! Our city doesn't require any formal training for ACO's either. You have inspired me.

Rachel
09-16-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by LorraineO
FANFREAKINGTASTC!!!!! you go girl!!

I couldn't have said it better! Alicia, you made the effort and now it is up to others to support you in it. Keep up the good work. You get one big *Atta Girl* from me.

Albea
09-17-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11
Here, the AC officer is not only required to be trained and certified in animal behaivor/training but is also a police officer and it makes a world of difference. Good luck CT!

Sandra,
in Connecticut too the ACOs are police officers, and that was part of the problem. Somebody without any training using the power of a police uniform to intimidate Max's family instead of trying to help them.
I sent another e-mail to my representative thanking him for his response and also to let him know that the requirements for certification already are in place in Mass. and many other states. That should put our legislators to shame.:mad:
I'll let you know how things develop. Remember, this is "The Land of Steady Habits," nothing is ever accomplished very fast...:rolleyes: