PDA

View Full Version : New Owner of a Kitten

mina'smomma
09-16-2004, 07:33 AM
Hi Everyone,

I just recently became the owner of a 4 week old kitten that I named Mina.

This is the first time I've owned a cat, and am very nervous. I don't have the slightest clue as to what I need for her and what to do with her.:confused:

I want to be a good momma to her, and already have her scheduled for her kitten shots. She has to stay with her momma cat for right now, but I will be able to pick her up soon, and I just really want to be prepared for her to come home. (my fiance has even made a welcome home sign for her.)

Any suggestions. (she is a strictly indoor cat)

kimlovescats
09-16-2004, 07:50 AM
Congratulations on getting one of the greatest joys your life will ever hold!!! Trust me, once you get your first, you will get more, and more, and more, and more!!!:eek: Well, if you are like most of the Pet Talkers here, you will!;)

I am so relieved to hear that your fiance is as excited about your new baby as you are! ;) I was a bit worried when you said 4 weeks old, but again, you clarified that it will staying with mom a bit longer! By the time you get baby, it should be eating and drinking well on its own, and you said you already have an appointment for its first checkup, so basically I would say you are well prepared at this point. So, just sit back, relax and get your clicker finger ready! Oh, that means be ready / prepared to take LOTS and LOTS of pictures, because we here at Pet Talk DEMAND THEM!!!:eek: :D :D

Kim;)

catnapper
09-16-2004, 08:27 AM
Congratulations! What an exciting time to be getting your first kitten! Yes, its true that most people don't just have one cat... they are addictive! You find yourself saying "oh I need a tabby... oh calicos would be nice... what about a tuxie?" :D

You sound like you have the preparations covered. Just make sure you have lots and lots of cat toys - little balls with bells in them, little fake mice (they LOVE the little fake mice) wands with feathers on the end. As Mina gets older you might want to try some catnip.

Oh, and very important, no cat should ever be without one: A large scratching post or cat tree.

Congratulations on the new kitten!

catmandu
09-16-2004, 08:29 AM
Royal Canin,has an Itty Bitty Kitty Fod,made especially ,for Kittens,like yours,they are very tiny pieces,of kibble,for the baby Cat!

smokey the elder
09-16-2004, 09:08 AM
Kittens are like chips; you can't have just ONE! Congratulations on your future new addition. Be prepared for people to *whine* at you for pics!:p ;)

jazzcat
09-16-2004, 09:29 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk and congrats on your soon to arrive new kitten.

Just to be safe make sure the litter box isn't too tall on the sides for him since he is so little, be sure to feed him kitten food for his first year so he gets all the nutrition he needs and sounds like you got the health part covered with the vet visit.

Like catnapper said, have lots of toys, somewhere soft for him to sleep (and he might like to snuggle with a soft stuffed animal if he misses him mom) and be sure to get him a couple of different type scratching posts or pads like carpet, sisal and cardboard. Each cat seems to prefer something different. Also encourage him to use the scratchers you provided so he doesn't learn to use your furniture or walls.

We can't wait to see pictures when you get him!

kuhio98
09-16-2004, 09:53 AM
Congratulations on your new baby! There's no love like kitten love! Welcome to the club.

There are many here that take care of little kittens and can advise you better than I, but I'd like to mention that cats really shouldn't have cow milk. I know that a lot of people give cats a saucer of milk, but it will really make them sick. (I mention this because I was shocked that my mother only learned this recently and she's had cats all her life).

The other thing I'd ask you to consider is having her microchipped when she's older. There is a link below the photos of my cats below that will give you more information. Ask your vet about it when she's old enough to be spayed. I know she's an indoor cat, but cats do have a habit of racing out the door to explore. From personal experience, I tell you that a lost kitty is very hard to find. A microchip injected in the kitty links it back to you or your vet. If she's found by a kill shelter or taken injured to a vet, they can "scan" her and quickly reunite the two of you.

Please enjoy your baby. Take lots of pictures because many, many years from now you'll want to look back at your big 'ole lapcat's baby pictures. And, or course, we all want to watch her grow up right here on Pet Talk.

mina'smomma
09-16-2004, 10:12 AM
Do you have suggestions as far as what type of litter, food, treats?, and toys?

I was thinking about getting her a collar too with her name and the contact information.

Is this a good idea?

cubby31682
09-16-2004, 10:49 AM

Litter: I use fresh step. It's what Cubby loves and will use over any other brand.

Food: I'm not really sure what others use, Cubby is on prescritption diet.

Treats: Most cats love temtations, pounce. I use to buy the Whiskas packet things. I still have some that I give Cubby every once in a great while.

Toys: Fake furry mice is always a huge hit with kittens. I would have to agree with Catnapper, little balls with bells in them. Milk rings are also a huge hit with most cats, wads of papers, toilet paper (they will more than likely shred it while you aren't watching of course) if Cubby gets his paws on a roll of paper towel it will be shredded very quickly as well.

I was thinking about getting her a collar too with her name and the contact information.

It is always a good idea to put a collar on your cat, even if it is an indoor only cat. Atleast that way if it does get outside, and everyone here knows accidents do happen, then your little Mina can be returened to you safely.

P.S. Welcome to PT, I can't wait to see pictures of little Mina.

kuhio98
09-16-2004, 11:02 AM
I highly recommend the break-away collars from k-9 collars.

http://www.k-9collars.com/products.php?type=Cat

They will embroider you pets name and/or your phone number on the collar. I'd buy a couple of them because Pepper loses them from time-to-time and we usually find them weeks afterwards. But, Mina will be too little for even their smallest collars for a while.

nibblets
09-16-2004, 11:17 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Litter: I use fresh step. It works wonderfully for Julie.

Food: Julie eats Purina One Weight management...to keep her youthful figure. :D

Treats: Sorry, can't help you here. Julie doesn't enjoy treats. She likes her food and cat grass. I grow little containers of oat or wheat grass and she just loves it.

Toys: The little furry mice are great (except our dog likes to chew them up). Julie is also fond of shoe strings, she has one that she likes to carry around the house. Pompom balls are great fun, except they are constantly ending up under the microwave stand or the computer desk and I have to 'find' them for her. She likes elastic pony tail holders. Some of the best cat toys are things they find around your house, pens, string, rubber bands, bottle caps.

Scratchers: I started out with the little cardboard variety. Its made in a little box and is slanted. That worked well. I bought a sisal board that is supposed to hang on a door knob, but Julie prefers it flat on the floor to scratch. She also has sisal poles on her cat tree, but she uses that more for stretching than scratching. As long as she has access to her scratcher she will not claw the furniture.

Books: You might look at the book store for a basic Cat care book.. Most of them have good information and illustrations to go with them.

Good luck and Enjoy!!! Cats make a house a home.

catnapper
09-16-2004, 11:32 AM
Food: depending on your finances, I always recommend Nutro Natural. Its highquality food and helps a lot with (how to say this nicely?) Smelly poo. It also helps with hairballs. They have a kitten variety Dry as well as a wet food. I give my boys wet only as a treat. I have foster kittens too, but since my finances aren;t that great I feed them Purina Kitten chow. My big boys LOVE it, and will go through whatever they need to do to get it ;)

Pouncer refuses to wear a collar, Allen wears one. I think its a matter of the cat. If Mina is alwas wriggling out of one, then use the breakaway collars, but be prepared to have to put it back on every day. :D I do not have either boy microchipped but it is going to be done the next time I take them for their checkups -- this is very important!

Litter: everyone uses a different brand. I use an inexpensive clumping litter. Some cats prefer different levels.. some like deep litter other like the litter to be low. Its a good idea to scoop at least once a day.

AmberLee
09-16-2004, 01:32 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk! How exciting to be getting a precious kitten. I, too, was worried when you mentioned it's age until you said it was still with it's mother.

Litter? We tried lots, but Premium Choice fits my budget, is easy on the nose (smell dampening), and makes the cats happy... you might want to try a few and see what works for you.

Food? Try food made for kittens. Most kittens are in high-growth mode for 6 months to a year, and keep on growing for a couple years. They need nutriments that kitten foods give them. (Okay, confession time: I accidently gave my 9 month old kittens cat food to my vet's horror and they REFUSED to go back. No harm done, but it's not the best way of going. :rolleyes: Do the best you can.) I free fed the squirts dry kibble and had the two share a small can of wet food twice a day. Weaned them from wet food except for special treats at about a year. They ADORED Pounce treats as kittens, but they are high in sodium and it seemed the kittens puked a bit more when they got them, so I've REALLY tapered off on these.

Toys? Has anyone told you that kittens are immune to catnip? The cats the develop a hankering for it usually kicks in at about 6 months. I was told to avoid catnip in kitten toys as it would lessen their interest as adults. I don't know if that's true or not, but it's miserable trying to find cat toys withour catnip on them. I favor interactive toys -- ones you play with the cat with to add to your bonding and amusement. Feathers on strings on wands are good. When my cats were kittens they could tag team one another for upwards to an hour before they collapsed in exhaustion. HINT: If your kitten hasn't learned to sleep through the night yet, you might want to exhaust him/her and feed him/her before you go to bed. You'll sleep better.

Collars? Yes, please, yes make it a breakaway collar. It will keep your baby safe if it gets hung up somewhere. Horror stories about kittens hung by their collars -- ick...

Helpful hint: Kitten claws are SHARP! 1) Learn the momma cat moan/hiss that tells a kitten to back off and 2) get nail clippers and teach your darling early that grooming is part of the package. JenLuckenback has a thread going, illustrated with photos, on how to clip baby's nails that's wonderful.

Enjoy your visit to Pet Talk! And post often, please.

leslie
09-16-2004, 10:18 PM
Welcome! regarding toys around the house- rubberbands and string a no-no! get them all up right away! and thread and plastic bags. rubberbands, ribbons, string, and thread are all ingested, then most of the time wrapped around the intestine, bound and can kill the kitty. (I'll never forget my neighbor coming to me in a panic cuz her cat had thread hanging out of her rectum- we pulled it all out- 3 feet- one very lucky cat- a co-worker wasn't so lucky. Exact same situation, his gal died). The milk carton tabs can be dangerous because they can easily be chewed into little plastic pieces (i found out the hard way). I allow my cats to satisfy that need for "round rings" with gatorade tough rings from the bottom of the bottle top. I don't THINK a cat can chew threw those (anyone, correct me if I am wrong here!- i would want to know)
Kitty will be attracted to plastic bags because one of the ingredients is fish oil. Don't leave it around! I actually had a trauma just last night! I have no idea where Pixie found this plastic grocery bag, but she did, and she got it wrapped around her waist and back legs and tore through the house in terror, got everyone upset, hid for 2 hours, I finally found her and was able to untangle her but found out today she had unplugged my phone in her rampage to rid herself of the devil. It's just not a good idea. Had it been tangled on her head, she could have suffocated...again, Welcome!