PDA

View Full Version : broken paw $???

crow_noir
10-15-2001, 09:25 PM
about how much would it cost to fix a broken paw on a kitten?

Logan
10-15-2001, 10:10 PM
I don't know, but I'm thinking no amount would be too much! :(

What in the world happened, and whose kitty is it, yours?? I'm so sorry that the little kitty is hurt and probably in pain.

[ October 15, 2001: Message edited by: Logan ]

crow_noir
10-15-2001, 11:06 PM
actually, $5(<---a little exagerated, but sometimes that is a reality) dollars is pushing our budget. we're trying not to spend foolishly and we're barley able to afford food for ourselves. (stuff like no movies, no new cloths(can you say "needle and thread"), and going to bargin food centers.) (but King still gets premium dog food and allll vet stuff.)

anyhoo...
let me start off by saying that normally i don't see myself as having a cat in my life. though i love paying attention to them else where.

there was a kitten dropped off at my s.o.'s g,ma's house/farm. and it has a broken paw (we think it's paw was broke when it was dropped off). and it won't(-->*) let anyone near it. and she doesn't want it as a house cat. so it's going to be an outdoor barn cat. well, w/ our winters and a broken paw, i see no chance of survival for this little guy (i actually think that he is a she). (*--> ) well, w/in ten minutes i was petting the cat and had named it and it was comming to me by name. it is so hard for me not to feel obligated to this creature that has put it's faith in me alone. (*wants to break down and cry*)
if i know it won't cost too much for alll the stuff and i can save up w/ in a month i am willing to take it in if King lets me and if g.ma. says it's ok. my s.o. already said it is ok if all of the other three things happen. (i already seen that the cat gets along great w/ dogs.)

i have never felt an animal need me soooo much before. (i mean if i wanted a cat that was going to fit my personality type, there is a perfect one at Petsmart.)

i could take the kitten to the rescue group, but i don't know if g.ma. would allow it. (and it has soooo much faith in me!)

and the least i want to do is get that paw fixed even if i can't keep it.

so, besides, what to some of us is a very hurtful remark, i would seriously like to know...HOW MUCH SHOULD IT COST!!!???

crow_noir
10-15-2001, 11:09 PM
*chuckles* (p.s.) if the kitty is in pain, it sure doesn't stop it from playing and terrorizing the "dust mop" (sure is a cute and funny site watching those two togeather) ...*sigh* :( but i am sure it is in pain.

aly
10-15-2001, 11:38 PM
Ok, first of all, if you haven't named her already, you should name her Faith!! :)

I am thinking a month may be too long to wait for medical attention. If you could find a rescue group, they could cover the medical bills, socialize the kitten, and get her in a good home. I know it would break your heart but sometimes it is the best thing to do.

Has King ever been with cats before? If you decide to keep the kitten, you might want someone else there with you when you do the introduction because the situation could get bad if King doesn't like cats :eek: I have a TON of dog/cat intro information so let me know if you decide to keep the cat.

Oh, by the way, I have no clue how much it would cost because prices tend to vary a lot in different areas.

crow_noir
10-15-2001, 11:58 PM
yup, already named and answering to it in less then a day. :D i even called her out of a field w/ it.

i think even though it would break my heart, i do want to get her to a rescue group if g.ma will let me. (god knows the last thing i need is a family quarrel that my s.o. is stuck in the middle of :rolleyes: )

the only reason i've seen King ummm...do away w/ a cat was one, because it was a food source. and two, because the cat attacked him first.
i would defintly have him leashed to see how things went. and even if he wasn't hurting the cat around us and i do end up keeping her, i plan on seperating them while we are gone. (i think i have a few ideas on introduction from a few months back, but if i do end up needing some, i'll be sure to ask you.) ...i mean, if it doesn't look like it will work from the beginning, i'm going to think about the rescue group.

...eeeeek!!! i thought about the hawks, but i forgot about the coyote that lives somewhere in the woods right across the road!!! oh! i need to get that kitty out of there! my Trio!!! (...i usually have more meaningful names, but i DIDN'T think i'd be getting soooooo attached. it's cute, but it's not mean. ..like stubby. and actually it finally dawned on me why i do like the name so much ...Tio the IGH.)

crow_noir
10-16-2001, 12:02 AM
p.s. on the King subject... at one time he'd go days w/ out food and now he has food in his dish all the time(twice a day actually). before, i had almost no controll on him, now i can get him to heel w/90% accuracy. ...great improvement. and i think he is sensing how much i want a kitty.

and... when we used to go in petsmart he'd try to get at the cats and now he patiently waits until i'm done petting them.

*shrugs* don't know if this helps any.

zippy-kat
10-16-2001, 12:50 AM
Have you called the local vets and asked for a 'basic' price?

crow_noir
10-16-2001, 01:02 AM
no, not yet. i didn't get home until late tonight. but, thank you!!!!

shais_mom
10-16-2001, 02:11 AM
My friends cat had a limp and we snuck it into work and xrayed it, and found out she had a broken elbow. We used a finger splint from the ER, and splinted her and she is just fine. Could you try a popcisle stick and some tape??
That is what we did, it you know anyone in the medical profession, medical tape would work the best.
Kylie had been limping last week and I snuck her in an xrayed her, (let me tell ya that was fun, about like giving a cat a bath :O !!
) but she is fine now, couldn't have splinted her if my life depended on it!!

crow_noir
10-16-2001, 02:59 AM
no, sadly the medical people i know either HATE animals, or the other one i don't know how to reach (and i think he might be on a military base right now ...gotta love reserves!) and i don't know much about doctoring animals myself. and i don't know if i could trust my dad.

...and trying to do it myself, like you said would probally be about as fun as bathing her.

i'm happy to hear about your good fortune! ...and glad to hear that Kylie is doing ok!

crow_noir
10-16-2001, 03:02 AM
argh!!!! why does she have to be soooo far away!!!!

Logan
10-16-2001, 08:21 AM
You might try www.imom.org (http://www.imom.org) . They raise money to help animals who need medical attention, but whose owners or rescue groups can't afford it. I didn't have time to really look hard at the website, but you might want to study it a bit, and contact them.

Good luck.
Logan

purrley
10-16-2001, 08:43 AM
I don't know if anyone feels the same way but I get really sick of vets and their big bucks attitude - I finally changed vets because my vet couldn't see anything but dollar signs. My money has probably sent him on a dozen Caribbean Cruises and I finally got sick of it and I'm now in the process of trying to find a down to earth, compasionate individual who's main interest is in the animals and not in deepening his pockets. I know they're out there. It was to the point that my vet tried to make me feel guilty if I didn't want certain tests because they're too expensive. My faith in this veterinarian really went out the door when he pulled all of my cats teeth out without my permission and socked me with a $300.00 bill!! :mad: It's not that I don't believe they should be paid - but geeeze their fees in most cases are very unreasonable. People would take better care of their animals if vet care would be just a little more or a lot more economical!!!

3-greys-and-a-mutt
10-16-2001, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by purrley:
<STRONG>I don't know if anyone feels the same way but I get really sick of vets and their big bucks attitude - I finally changed vets because my vet couldn't see anything but dollar signs. My money has probably sent him on a dozen Caribbean Cruises and I finally got sick of it and I'm now in the process of trying to find a down to earth, compasionate individual who's main interest is in the animals and not in deepening his pockets. I know they're out there. It was to the point that my vet tried to make me feel guilty if I didn't want certain tests because they're too expensive. My faith in this veterinarian really went out the door when he pulled all of my cats teeth out without my permission and socked me with a $300.00 bill!! :mad: It's not that I don't believe they should be paid - but geeeze their fees in most cases are very unreasonable. People would take better care of their animals if vet care would be just a little more or a lot more economical!!!</STRONG>

Purrley, I wish you lived near me, because I'd be pushing you in the door at our vets' office. We love our vets! With four dogs, we need a vet's office that is supportive and available. Not only are the (4) vets themselves very knowledgable and easy to talk to, but the office staff is superb! I have called many times, even at odd hours, and have always been given solid advice and treated with respect. I feel like I can ask as many questions as I need to in order to feel comfortable. Purrley, I hope that you can find a great vets' office to go to!

Crow - I agree with some of the others here - that kitty needs to go to a shelter, where it can receive proper medical attention, and go into a loving home. It sounds like King may be almost ready to live with a cat, but like he still has a way to go before he can be completely trusted; do you want to take that risk at this point?

i think even though it would break my heart, i do want to get her to a rescue group if g.ma will let me.
Is your s.o.'s grandma feeding, housing, or otherwise taking care of this kitty? (It doesn't even let her near it, does it?) If not, why should she have any say in whether or not it goes to a shelter?

yorkster
10-17-2001, 10:55 PM
crow_noir Yes, try the rescue groups. I know in my area there are vets that do vol. work for some of the rescue groups, who will also help animals belonging to people who can't afford it. As far as getting your dog and kitten together: take it slow, and always be in the room with them, until you know there is no threat to the kitten. It might take a long time- I am going through the whole thing now with my 2 cats and new dog (B.Collie/Black Lab mix). It was VERY apparent when we brought her home that she had never been around cats before- she thought they were for her to chase and hunt. She is doing fine now, although I still would not trust her yet to be alone with them.

crow_noir
10-21-2001, 11:40 PM
i'm not quite ready to give an update yet, still kind of stressed about everything. ...i may have found her a home though. ...post more about everything when i'm ready.

(God watch over Trio a.k.a. the sonic purr box of 1000 kisses.)

4 feline house
10-25-2001, 09:50 PM
crow, 3 greys starting going in the direction I'm going, but I think may have been too nice to finish her thought, but I'm not - Why isn't gramma paying the bill since she's the one putting her foot down?

One month is way, way too long to wait. Actually, it may already be. Bone starts to heal almost immediately. If it's been more than a day or two, the ends have already started to recalcify, which would mean having to rebreak the break and then setting it - which really would mean running into some big (relatively) bucks. And, unless the bone is reset (assuming it's more than a greenstick fracture), putting a splint on it will not fix it, it will just prevent further injury. Perhaps, if the foot is not causing any pain and is not impeding the cat's mobility, you might think of just leaving it as is. I had a little kitty who had two broken hips - one congenital, one due to cruelty. But they had already calcified and the vet said it would put him through more pain to try to rebreak and set his hips, and would probably not help him get around any better.

I wish I had better advice.