PDA

View Full Version : Purr therapy

jenluckenbach
09-15-2004, 07:51 PM
How many of you have discovered the full healing potential of purr therapy? It is found that one of the most calming sounds to the human ear is the purr of a cat. I tend to use purr therapy every morning before I head out to work. I lift a cat to my ear until he/she purrs. If the first cat fails to purr, I go on to the next cat until I receive the desired effect. See photo for proper cat positioning:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Cats/Lucas/PurrTherapy1.jpg

Please note how the right hand gives ear scritchies hence doubling the chance of receiving the full purr.

Purr thereapy can also be very useful to do AFTER a hard or stressful day. When the above 1 cat technique fails to calm your stress levels you should move up to the 2 cat technique as shown below (best done with kittens as their motors are always running)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/Foster%20kitties/PurrTherapy2.jpg

QueenScoopalot
09-15-2004, 08:20 PM
Stereo purring...that's my idea of Heaven LOL! You look totally relaxed too! :D

catnapper
09-15-2004, 08:38 PM
LOL! Yes, I am well aware of Purr Therapy. I have a licensed purrologist that I call upon when I have a bad migraine and he sends me to a nice restful sleep that really helps my aching head. He has the best payment plan... a few scritchies, a handful of Temptations, and perhaps some Kitten Chow.

AmberLee
09-15-2004, 09:30 PM
Oh my! I think those nifty photos started ME purring, but in envy! A very well documented technique. Yum.

jazzcat
09-15-2004, 10:48 PM
I love it!:D

Randi
09-16-2004, 08:07 AM
Wonderful - and I agree! I get my two daily purr sessions in the morning and in the evening. Fister is actually waiting for me to come and lay my head on his side while I rub his tummy - and there's nothing like a cat to warm your ear. :) :)

Killearn Kitties
09-16-2004, 08:19 AM
Purring in each ear - what a wonderful idea! Now where will I find some kittens?

catmandu
09-16-2004, 08:25 AM
We love the one,with the Stereo Purring! Sadly the Found Cats,are a little too big,for that manuver,to work here!

kimlovescats
09-16-2004, 08:35 AM
Absolutely adorable, Jen ... and OH so true!!!!!!!:D

smokey the elder
09-16-2004, 08:47 AM
Purring earmuffs!:D

DJFyrewolf36
09-16-2004, 01:29 PM
Purr therapy is so wonderful! Last night I was feeling really down and Mr. Remus just came up to me and purred away. I felt sssssoooo much better!!!

Vio&Juni
09-16-2004, 02:34 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmm, that's the best therapy I know :)

Laura's Babies
09-18-2004, 08:24 AM
Love your demo on this. It does work too. Best sound in the world to go to sleep with at night and to wake up to in the morning to start the day.

sirrahbed
09-18-2004, 10:13 AM
Cute Jen!!! YES, I am aware of purr therapy:D Like Kim (catnapper) I use it for my migraines. Dylan is the most obliging as he lays on my pillow. All I have to do is give scritches now and then and he vibrates my pillow quite nicely. The best cure for headcahe: "Take two tabbies and call me in the morning!"
Thanks Jen!!:D :D

sirrahned
09-18-2004, 10:22 AM
Jen,
I loved the pictures of positioning. I have to admit it I was touched. I may be a crusty old man but I get purr therapy every evening. IT WORKS!!! Our little furbaby Emily waits for me to come to bed each evening. She cuddles up beside me and the purring begins. Now that's stress relief!!!!
Actually, I think just looking at big calm cats like our monster-sized Dillon reduces blood pressure.