PDA

View Full Version : Never vomiting hair balls?

Kirsten
10-14-2001, 07:09 AM
I have another question about vomiting. So far, all my previous cats vomited hair balls from time to time, maybe once a month. But Luna never does, even though she lost a lot of fur when she got her "summer coat" this year!
She's 18 months now, and so far she only vomited three times in her life; twice when she was a kitten and one time a while ago when she probably ate too fast. But there have never been hairballs! I'm feeding her Hill's Hairball Control to prevent hairballs in her colon, since she doesn't like Petromalt very much. But I think it's very unusual that a cat never vomits hair balls.

Kirsten

Pam
10-14-2001, 07:38 AM
Kirsten, my Andy has never brought up a hair ball either. On the other hand Trevor does about once a month or so. Trevor's fur is very thick with a very dense undercoat and is of a different texture than Andy's. Even when I brush them I get lots and lots of fur from Trevor but not much from Andy by comparison. Maybe it just depends on the individual cat's coat? They both groom equally too.

Logan
10-14-2001, 09:29 AM
Mimi only "shows" me her hairballs when she is mad...like if she has to stay inside for a couple of days when we're away. And she is an excellent groomer herself, but she does have incredibly long hair. In our short time together, I haven't seen Butter throw one up either. Maybe they are using their good manners and doing it outside rather than in the house.

I don't think it is too unusual to not seem them, and I don't even use any hairball remedies...maybe I should!

Kirsten
10-14-2001, 10:05 AM
Logan, that's an amazing habit that Mimi has! :)
My Katz (RIP) always vomited on my bed, during her last years, when she was already sick, she did it almost every day!

Well, maybe you're right and it depends on the fur, Katz' has been shorter but was more fluffy while Luna's is longer and thicker. Maybe she doesn't even develope hair balls in her stomach.
But on the other hand, she has problems with constipation when she's not eating Hill's Hairball Control...

Kirsten

yorkster
10-14-2001, 07:59 PM
When I have used a hairball product or butter, my cat did not throw-up hairballs either- they just........came out the other end. Best way I could think to say it.

catwoman
10-14-2001, 11:28 PM
Kirsten,

I am extremely jealous of you hairball-free household! My first cat, Sydney (now at rainbow bridge,) never had hairballs. I didn't know how lucky I had it until I got Thelma, ALA "bulemic kitty." :rolleyes:

Celebrate your good fortune! :D

Dianne

yorkster
10-15-2001, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by SpencerTheLion:
<STRONG>I have witnessed Spencer grooming and EATING his fur :o</STRONG>

One of my cats likes to eat his own fur too- but just his own. It's a he, and he is cream & orange too. Possibly a connection to color?

Uniqueviking
10-15-2001, 09:28 AM
My Beans also never vomit's hair balls...and I haven't seen the lil ones do it either!

wolflady
10-15-2001, 11:42 AM
Wow! HOw lucky you are :) I think it does have something to do with the type of coat a cat has. Like Pam, I have one cat (Marius) who has a really sleek, close lying coat, and then I have Scooter...who is also a short hair, but has really thick fur with an undercoat. I have seen Scooter upchuck hairballs so much more than Marius...although Marius isn't totally hairball free...but he just doesn't do it as often! LOL ;)

thelmalu99
10-15-2001, 02:58 PM
My first cat, Sydney (another coincidence, Dianne, LOL!!) lived ten years and never had a hairball. He was strictly an indoor cat, so I'm sure we would have found them if he had thrown them up. We didn't even feed him hairball control formulas or anything. I guess it was just luck.

My Danny is actually at the vet's office today because he has been vomiting more than normal, and these are not hairballs. He has been vomiting undigested food just a few minutes after he eats. I suppose he could just be eating too fast, but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry, so I'm having him checked out.

[ October 15, 2001: Message edited by: thelmalu99 ]

tuxluvr
10-15-2001, 06:49 PM
Ritzy has never coughed up a furball (ok, there was that infamous fake-fur mouse incident)-she is indoor only...I'm thinking her shedding is kept at bay partly by a fairly constant temperature...or just luck...I do also brush her (she loooooves this..major purrfest) - she has short hair that is very sleek.

Former User
10-17-2001, 07:16 AM
So far no hairballs here either, I guess we're lucky then :D

cr7clark
10-17-2001, 11:18 AM
Bo doesn't cough up hairballs, they come out the other end :eek:
But she does throw up on occasion, usually when she eats her dry food too fast :o

alice
10-17-2001, 01:26 PM
After many, many years and experience with many, many cats, I've come to the conclusion that some cats will throw up fur balls and some pass them the other way. I guess it just depends upon your cat's make-up. Maybe it's genetic.

By the way, if you have a cat who is a chronic "thrower-uper", please have him/her checked by your vet. The vomiting could be a symptom of inflamatory bowel disease which can be a very serious condition. (I found out after Tony was finally diagnosed. He is now taking cortisone, gaining weight and running around with more energy than any 12-year-old kittie should have. He is back to making life hard for the other kittie who lives here and I have to admit that I'm very pleased to see the change.)

Edwina's Secretary
10-17-2001, 03:30 PM
Edwina has NEVER thrown up a hair ball (very unladylike behaviour!)
We do not give her any treatments and she does shed quite a bit.
She has, on occasion, usually when we have house guests, thrown up undigested kibbles.