PDA

View Full Version : Diarrhea and strange behavior, need some advice!

Kirsten
01-27-2001, 03:13 PM
For one week now, my Luna seems to be very sick and I'm terribly worried.
It started last Saturday when she suddenly had diarrhea the entire day. In the evening, I even went to the vet with her and she was given an injection and I've got some medicine for her (Floracid, later Marbocyl).
Since that day, the diarrhea isn't completely gone, and even though it is better (bowel movement twice a day, as usual), Luna seems to feel very sick. She's not playing, she's not happy, sleeps a lot, drinks a lot and seems to be very exhausted. She's not coming on my lap and doesn't want to be touched most of the time. Her appetite is still good, and she never vomits. But her behavior is scaring me to death.
I went to different vets this week several times, her heart and lungs are ok, it's no FIP (according to the vets) and no poisoning. Luna gained weight during the week, so I was afraid she has liquids, but one of the vets said that the diet food she is given is very nutritious.
I wanted to have her blood tested to be sure it's no kidney or liver failure, but Luna acted too wild when the vet tried to take blood from her. When it's not better next week, she will have anesthesia to have the blood test done, and maybe also some x-ray.
Both the vets said that Luna looks healthy and fine, obviously her belly is still aching due to the diarrhea and that's why she's acting so strange. They say I shouldn't worry too much, but I do. I'm terribly afraid that she might have cancer or a kidney disease. It's day 8 now that she isn't behaving as she usually does.

So if anyone has experiences with cats acting so strange, please let me know. Luna is only 9 months now and she's the sunshine of my life. I've already lost my beloved Katz last year and I can't stand the thought to lose my Luna, too... http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif

Thanks,
Kirsten

4 feline house
01-28-2001, 11:26 AM
I have kidney disease, and I had a cat who died of kidney disease, so I think I'm in a pretty good position to tell you that the symptoms your cat is suffering do not suggest kidney disease. It would be unlikely she would have diarrhea, and it would be likely that she would be vomiting and having no appetite. The increased thirst is likely attributable to the diarhhea. Of course, I could be wrong, all organisms react differently to the same disease, and I'm certainly not trying to imply that I can diagnose your cat. But I think you can set your mind at ease that she probably does not have kidney failure. I think your vets are probably correct - she probably has nothing that should worry you - probably just a virus. Good luck and we'll hope for the best.

Kirsten
01-28-2001, 01:15 PM
Thanks for your replies! Well, I spoke to somebody else today with a cat that suffers a kidney disease and she described the same symptoms as you do, 4 feline house. So I think it must be something else that's wrong with my Luna.

Spencer, I will bring some stool to the vet tomorrow to have it tested, her stool's color is brown most of the time, sometimes a bit yellowish. It became better today, she's more playful and doesn't seem to feel so bad but she gained a lot of weight during the past days, even though she is sick.

Kirsten

Troy
01-28-2001, 05:54 PM
It is always sad to hear of a unwell kitten http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif

I hope little Luna is feeling better soon...