PDA

View Full Version : cat health

michelene
10-08-2001, 06:55 PM
What would cause an indoor cat's lungs to fill with lymphatic fluid?
Less than a week ago our 7 year old tortie Samantha was lying on the rug and gasping for breath -- mouth breathing and extreme lower abdominal effort. The vet extracted 110 cc of fluid from her lungs - 40cc from one and 70cc from the other -- and put Sam on oxygen. The vet examined the fluid on a slide and said it appeared to be lymph, without any apparent infection. The fluid came from a leaking thoracic valve, and there seemed to be no explanation for what happened. The condition has never been successfully treated surgically, and no cat owners (before us) were willing to try to manage the condition medically.

We weren't ready to say goodbye to Sam, so we brought her home and have been watching her. Nothing seems to be the matter now. The vet said we just have to wait and see how long it is before her lungs fill up again; then we will need to bring her in to have the fluid drained.

Has this happened to anyone else? What can we expect?

purrley
10-09-2001, 10:01 AM
I have never heard of this before. So what is the prognosis - will she always have to have her lungs drained or will this eventually go away (I hope!!!!)?

wolflady
10-09-2001, 11:29 AM
Buster's mom **hugs** and Welcome to Pet Talk! I'm so sorry to hear about your Sam!! Unfortunately I can be of no help on this one either. What a scary ordeal!! I'm wondering what it would be to cause something like that to happen! Please keep us posted on Sam.

michelene
10-13-2001, 10:05 AM
Thank you all so very much for your concern. My Samantha has idiopathic Feline Chylothorax, which means she has no heart problems, heartworms, or trauma to cause it. On her return trip to the vet for the chest x-ray she still has fluid in the lungs. She is now on a low/reduced fat diet and a nightly antibiotic pill to prevent any infection from developing. Also, she spends as much time as possible in open windows sniffing the fresh air, and every evening with us in the den. She still hops around, talks to us, and seems very happy to be with us.

Vet training on the subject states that this condition has a guarded to grave prognosis. Chylothorax usually shows up in middle-aged purebred -- especially Siamese cats. Samantha is a seven-year-old tortie shorthair. We accept that Samantha may not live much longer, but we will give her the happiest remaining time possible, watch her carefully for signs of distress to take immediate action, and do whatever is necessary to increase her chances that the condition will stabilize.

Again, thank you all for your prayers and good wishes.

tatsxxx11
10-13-2001, 10:37 AM
I am so sad to hear of Samantha's illness. You sound like such a loving and devoted fur mom. My heart goes out to you. It is so difficult to see them in distress. You and Sam will be in my thoughts and prayers, hoping for the best. Hugs to Samantha please.

4 feline house
10-13-2001, 12:03 PM
Ask your vet about Hill's r/d and Rutin, they may help.

TheAntiPam
10-13-2001, 10:49 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty's troubles! Many of us here at PetTalk know what its like to watch a beloved pet for signs of failing health. If you need to talk about things, good or bad, c'mon back to PetTalk. Meanwhile, I sure hope the best for Samantha, and for your whole human and fur family.