PDA

View Full Version : Celexa

slleipnir
09-14-2004, 07:55 PM
I'm curious if anyone has been on this before? What is your opinion of it if you have? I'm just starting it, I got it today. The Dr said my anxiety could partly be from when my parents spilt up (separation anxiety) although I don't remember it. I think I have completely blocked that whole part of my life out cause I don't remember anything at all. I guess it can still affect me some how though. Weird.. Anywho sorry for the stupid thread, I'm sure no one needs to know this, but I was just wondering how Celexa works. (other then what he told me or what I read online. I wanted to know from person experience is all)

teenster3
09-14-2004, 09:02 PM
Hello,
A doctor prescribed that to me a few years ago.
I took it for a little while but stopped on my own. I was given a couple different types of drugs for depression.
I felt like it wasn't helping me but only hurting me. That's just my story. It always seemed like anytime I took any of those depression pills it made me feel worse not better. I felt even suicidal at times.
I'm not saying that will happen to you, everyone is different & feels different! It effects everyone differently!
Maybe I didn't give that one enough time though. I just know that I had to face it on my own instead of popping a pill for it.
For you though having anxiety, it may be different!
I feel for you! It's got to be rough having anxiety issues.
I guess I would just say if you LIKE & TRUST your doctor go with what they tell you. Be aware of the side effects & let them know if you do experience any changes in your health!
Good Luck!!!:)

slleipnir
09-14-2004, 09:10 PM
It's kinda for both. But I think it's more so for anxiety. I was hoping these meds would be a last resort, but I just feel so helpless a lot. I have a ton of things I WANT to do, but it's like I'm afraid of it so I just withdraw. I do that a lot. I have a lot of stuff planned this year (activitys) so I hope this will help me pull through lol.

teenster3
09-14-2004, 09:22 PM
I hope so too.....I know keeping yourself busy can help sometimes! Do you get anxious when you're in crowds, not knowing people, etc.? What seems to trigger it?
I'm 29 & I signed up to go back to college. I was absolutely terrified, that I didn't pull through & ended up dropping out before I even started. Now, I'm thinking about trying that over again & seeing where it takes me.
I've had this discussion with a lot of people, all ages. It just seems like people are stressed out, anxious, depressed, etc.
I don't know if it's the times we live in or what triggers it?!
Is this the 1st time that you've been on pills before? I'm sure you've already discussed everything with your doctor.
What are the things that you would like to do???
Maybe you could just take 1 thing at a time so it's not so overwhelming for you.
I'm not a doctor but, I am here if you ever want someone to talk to!!!!!:)
Tina

leslie
09-14-2004, 09:34 PM
There are many pters that have tried and are still on different antidepressants so don't feel alone. There was a poll done several months ago. Try putting anti-depressants in search and see what shows up. I seem to recall that Celexa was a very successful antidepressant among those polled here. I do have to say (I work with chronic mentally ill) that I had a client who drank so much fluid that he threw his electrolytes off balance, ended up in the hospital and could have died- best MD's figured is the Celexa caused increased thirst and he wasn't eating or reporting the amount of water he was taking in (WAY too much-abnormally TOO much!). So just be aware of side effects and report any if you have them! Most people don't have any or have some that go away in time.

heinz57_79
09-15-2004, 03:27 AM
I've been on just about every anti-depressant out there. And honestly, none of them really worked for me. The side effects were worse than the other problems I was having. Although, i know in terms of side effects, Celexa is one of the mildest out there (supposedly). My ex was prescribed it for her anxiety disorder and she did better on it than Paxil, which is what she was on previously.

But like so many others, I eventually just stopped taking it. I didn't like the way it made me feel. The best anti-depressant I found was my friends and getting out of the house, doing things, going places, then finally moving out of my crappy little apartment into a bigger place. Everyone is different tho. You know the whole "anti-drug" adds? I say "What's your anti depressant?" :) Good luck!

kimlovescats
09-15-2004, 07:18 AM
I have been taking Celexa for about 5 years now, and it has saved my marriage, my family life, and my own life! I really don't notice any negative effects, except that it worked a while then slacked off, because I needed to increase my dosage. I have been maintaining well at 40mg. now! I have let myself run out of it before for a few days ... thinking I don't "really need it" anymore, and what a BIG mistake! It works wonders, and I thank God that it is available!

Good luck!

Kim;)

DJFyrewolf36
09-15-2004, 10:12 AM
I was on Celexa for a long while till my insurance stopped covering it (#&*&^ jerks). It was one of the few things that didn't make me want to throw up from diziness. It did at first but after about three days the diziness went away. Ive tried lots of other things and they all make me sick. Now I use meditation techniques to control my depression, and also my family helps a lot too. It gets really hard sometimes and I have really bad days but I get through. Never be ashamed to ask someone for help, you'd be suprised at how much just having someone to talk to helps.

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-15-2004, 03:04 PM
My doctor has just put me on Buspar and I am having terrible dizziness and tiredness. I need to go back next week and maybe ask for something else. How long does it normally take before the advantages outweigh the side effects, or is it a matter of finding the right medication?

DJFyrewolf36
09-15-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Ally Cat's Mommy
My doctor has just put me on Buspar and I am having terrible dizziness and tiredness. I need to go back next week and maybe ask for something else. How long does it normally take before the advantages outweigh the side effects, or is it a matter of finding the right medication?

Its a matter of finding one that works with your body chemistry I think. So many people just "live with" the side efects but no one should have to suffer. Id go back to your doctor and explain the side effects to him/her. Hopefully they will be able to find something that works for you.