PDA

View Full Version : sorry guys found this

Jods
09-14-2004, 06:19 PM
the post about floridas pets...

Guess what? It's a bit of a hoax. I called to inquire about maybe adopting a pug from the Florida area. Why not? They need a home too and the shelters are flooded. Turns out she never authorised the email. At her request, I posted this to the pug group:

Hello all! Sorry for posting this before my official delurk, but this is extremely important!!

I spoke to Diane Albers this morning. She asked me to post to where I read this and set the record straight. Please feel free to post this correction wherever you read this letter.

She DID NOT authorise that email, regardless of what you may have heard. While she appreciates the thought, it has caused more harm than good. She also asked that people stop calling the 800 number. The line is for emergencies only, and while everyone has been wonderful and kind-hearted, the emergency calls for placements and such aren't getting through. She asked that if you want to help or want to adopt to please email her. She gave me permission to post her email address: [email protected]

There are no free flights from NorthWest or any other airline. As a matter of fact, she was saying that the cargo plane that is helping to move 200 animals is costing them $10,000. And that's only for fuel and airport costs.

She is not fostering outside of the state of Florida. Any animals going outside the state are adoption only. They are also wanting to hold the animals for a bit (I seem to recall her saying roughly 30 days) to give the owners a chance to reclaim their pets. I could be wrong about the 30 day bit though.

If you all really want to help, she said what they could use are donations to help cover the costs of the cargo plane and the moving of the animals. You can send a donation to:

Florida Association of Kennel Clubs
401 Cardinal Oaks Court
Lake Mary, FL 32746

She said to say that the donations are tax-deductable and anyone who donates will be sent a receipt.

I hope this clears up any confusion. Thanks for listening. Any questions, please feel free to email me, or her to confirm what I've posted.

I felt so bad for this lady. She's trying to field all these calls - they've been almost non-stop since this was posted. As in they stopped at 3:30 this morning and started again at 5:15. People have been great, from what she said, but it's the whole "free flights" thing that's doing it. I mean, it would be wonderful if the airlines would, but they really wouldn't be that generous. At this point, most of them can't afford to be.