PDA

View Full Version : Magoo is back from the white coats.

catcrazylady
09-14-2004, 05:50 PM
First let me say that I really really like this vet!! He was very good with Magoo as well as hubby and I.
He drained Magoo's eye but he suggested that we let him operate and open it up again and take a look in there. He expalained that there are two parts to the eye cavity. One part has the tear ducts and the back part holds some gooey sticky stuff. He said that if any portion of that was missed then it can still produce the fluid. Once he withdrew the fluid he felt it and said that it was not sticky at all and he THINKS that it could be a portion of a tear duct was missed and it's still producing liquid. Jan (QSA) told me to ask about this but he said it before I could ask. Jan you should have been a vet!!!:D Anyway, he said all the right things!! Like, I'm sure this is hard on him when he doesn't know where he is, and I bet he's just fine at home where he knows where things are isn't he? He never once acted like Magoo should have been put down! I was so happy!!!:D :D :D
He was gentle and kind and talked to Magoo. He was also willing to do whatever we thought was best. He said we can continue to drain it if that is what we chose to do. He said he would drain it today and we could think about what we wanted to do and let him know. He also said he would not keep Magoo over night since it would be hard on him if we did that. I LOVE THIS GUY!!!
He was also reasonably priced I thought. I asked him how much the surgery would cost and he said that would depend on the cuss factor!! ;) He said it would be $125 unless it caused him to cuss a lot and the worst case would be $175.
Hubby and I discussed it on the way home and I think we are going to do it. We will have to wait until one of us can get a day off of work but we don't want to wait too terribly long because more scar tissue will just continue to build up. We will do it sometime this year I'm sure. That is if PT co-owners of Magoo agree that it is the best thing to do for him.
So what do you guys think?

Here is Magoo with his booboo all gone.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid139/pbd576246f0c07b958b8120715354386d/f702b70b.jpg

Sorry I rambled for so long but I finally feel like I got some answers from a very nice vet and I'm excited!!
Magoo was such a good boy and so sweet when we got home. He wouldn't sit up for a picture he just wanted to hold and love my arm and hand.
GEESH I love this furry guy!!!:D :D :D

Grace
09-14-2004, 05:55 PM
I think your gut is telling you to do this for Magoo - and you should go with it. Especially since you feel good about the Vet.

You could continue with the draining, but over time would it have to be done more and more often?

That picture of Magoo says it all - he trusts you to do the right thing.

AmberLee
09-14-2004, 05:55 PM
This vet does seem to have a better cat-side manner and a good grip on the situation.

Magoo does seem much more relaxed. I'm glad this session went well.

RICHARD
09-14-2004, 06:00 PM
"FUUUUHHHHHH.........."

Ah.....Yeah, I think you should go for it...........

I almost cost you the extra 50 bucks!!!!:eek:

QueenScoopalot
09-14-2004, 06:05 PM
Yay! A possible solution to Magoo's problem! I hear "I should have been a vet, so many times Lisa". :rolleyes: I think I'd flunk out of school at the first dissection day. :eek: I've been through so many different scenarios involving kitties by now, it struck me as odd (having a few one eyed kitties in house) that the fluid kept building on that same side. I'm glad you found a vet you really feel confidant about, and agree that maybe if it's not too much for Magoo to endure, maybe it should be resolved once and for all. ;) I just hope if you do go through with it, he doesn't turn into a beast again after anesthesia. :eek: :( P.S..I like the 'cuss factor' being brought up LOL! :D

Freckles
09-14-2004, 06:20 PM
$175 sounds inexpensive for an operation so it must not be terribly difficult. I vote "go for it". Get it done, once and for all.

rg_girlca
09-14-2004, 06:22 PM
Oh Lisa, this new vet sounds GREAT. How compassionate he was towards Magoo and I like a vet that explains everything to you without having to ask questions.

OH yes, yes, I agree to go for the surgery, especially if it will help Magoo so he doesn't have to keep going back to the vets to have the fluid drained.

Please give that precious boy of ours, a big hug and kiss for me Lisa. Pllllleeeasssee.:D

sirrahbed
09-14-2004, 06:26 PM
This is great news Lisa. I also LOVE the sound of this vet - all the things he had to say about our Magoo - terrific. The surgery also sounds very reasonable and like a good thing to consider when the time feels right. Thanks SO much for the update!!

kimlovescats
09-14-2004, 06:40 PM
Thank God! Magoo look so much better, and more comfortable too! WOW, it sounds like you have found a wonderful, and caring vet ... better hang on to him!!! I like the way he prices his procedure, by the "cuss factor" ... hehehe, he even has a sense of humor!!!:D

I think I would do it, Lisa ... it sounds like the surgery would be fairly simple .. and would certainly relieve the problem, thus cutting the future vet visits down quite a bit! Of course, whatever you decide, you know (I hope) that I am behind you 110%!!!;)

Hugs to you and Magoo, and the vet too!
Kim

Laura's Babies
09-14-2004, 06:45 PM
Great news girl!! The news sounds good for my Goo boy.. Yes, I agree, it is time to put a stop to that swelling and the discomfort is may cause him Go for it, it sounds afforadable so lets get Magoo boy done so he won't have to go get stuck every 4 to 6 weeks.

RedHedd
09-14-2004, 06:53 PM
That vet sounds WONDERFUL! Definitely a keeper! I say go for it - $175 is EXTREMELY reasonable for any kind of operation for our furred ones.

And as for that picture - AWWWWWWWWWW! I'm melting at the sight of those furry feet!

jenluckenbach
09-14-2004, 07:02 PM
I must have missed the fact that the eye was swelling again, but I would certainly concider that operation. And congratulations on finding a GREAT vet.

catnapper
09-14-2004, 07:05 PM
The vet sounds like a fabulous man! I think the operation sounds like a good idea just so her doesn't ever have to go through the lump building up again. He must be a brave boy to let them drain it.

christa
09-14-2004, 07:09 PM
Oh Magoo!!! I'm so happy for this sweet kitty boy!!! I rushed home from the Y to see the news! And it's GREAT NEWS!!! I'm always so excited to hear about GREAT VETS!!! There aren't many out there (or at least they're very very hard to find!) Sounds like you can defintiely trust this guy with your angel kitty Magoo! I don't think he'll hate you for putting him through the surgery . . . in the long run, it will be better for him.

He's such a sweetheart! I loved the pic of him cuddling your hand!!! That face just melts my heart!!!

Lisa, please give Magoo a big kiss for me!!! I'm so proud of him!

BTW, I vote GO FOR IT!

K & L
09-14-2004, 07:09 PM
This is wonderful news! You'd have to weigh out the cost of draining this periodically, and a surgery which may end all this once and for all. You know me & Kevin, we would do the surgery! Remember Porch who had megacolon? They said his only option other than to be put down was an operation, which there was no guarantee. We went for the $1500 surgery, and a couple years later Porch is still with us!!

I'm also glad you felt good with this vet. The price seems very reasonable!

catlady1945
09-14-2004, 07:17 PM
I would go for it, and thank heavens you like the vet.

Craftlady
09-14-2004, 07:28 PM
I am so happy you found this vet. I smiled when he said Magoo would be better at home then a strange place overnight. I too chuckled at the "cuss factor". He surely is a winner in my book and Magoo likes him too. :) I would go for the surgery to look at the tear duct. It would be a peace of mind to know poor Magoo wouldn't have to go through being drained every few weeks or months.

Doing the happy dance at our house for Magoo :)

catcrazylady
09-14-2004, 07:53 PM
Thanks to everyone for kind words and support. I also think we should do it because it will hopefully end this problem forever. Over time it could eventually cause an infection and then we will have to fight that as well. I will certainly keep everyone posted on when we plan to do it.
Magoo was so good at the vet. I felt good because he didn't hiss at all and he seemed kind of relaxed. He wasn't like that the last vet trip!
This vet put the needle in and left it there. He drained it and pulled the syringe off and emptied it and then reattached it to the needle in Magoo's eye. This might sound gross but the last vet just kept sticking him each time! Magoo doesn't even flinch when they do it so I hope he has no feeling in the skin around that eye. This vet was extremely gentle with him and I really appreciate that. I think he is our new vet!:D
All the kisses and hugs have been delivered for the night. I think if I give him anymore he will remove my lips from my face! ;) I've slobbered all over him and I think he's had enough. I will deliver any leftovers tomorrow.

Have I said how much I love this little furry guy?!
:D

leslie
09-14-2004, 08:18 PM
Hi Lisa! Do you love Magoo? heehee! congrats on a good vet visit! Well, I too have to say the cost seems reasonable. You may want to ask if there are any possible problems to watch for in the future following surgery. Jan alluded to anesthesia causing a change in catitude- I would assume that is temporary- ask the vet. Anything to alleviate magoo and you and your husband from repeated discomfort seems to be a positive step. Write a list of questions you may have.. (cats without tear ducts, where does that liquid go?- that's my question!!! And if it goes elsewhere- will it build up and cause a problem?- this may seem a silly question but I am curious now!) Thanks for the thorough update and more kisses for magoo! (well don't put yourself in harms way- just mention it to him in passing!!)

MULTICATMOM
09-14-2004, 08:43 PM
A VET WITH HUMOR, COMPASSION & REASONABLE PRICES:D SOUNDS LIKE HE'S UNDERSTANDING!! I'LL JUST BET HE FALLS FOR MAGOO:D MAGOO YOU RULE!! WE SEND BELLY RUBS!!;)

jazzcat
09-14-2004, 11:14 PM
I'm so glad things went well with this vet!! I say go for the surgery too. Poor Magoo doesn't need to keep dealing with this every 6-8 weeks, poor fellow.

Please add a few more kisses when you think your lips are safe.

nibblets
09-14-2004, 11:40 PM
Sounds like a win-win situation to me!

Julie wishes Magoo lots of luck.

DJFyrewolf36
09-15-2004, 12:32 AM
Sounds like a wonderful vet!!! Go for it! Im so glad there is a vet out there who loves the magooster as much as we do!

Sara luvs her Tinky
09-15-2004, 05:59 AM
awwww

Mr. Magoo... you look sweet as ever in that picture..

I am so glad you are getting some good news from this vet. Sounds to me like you should go for the operation.. espically if you can get rid of the problem completely....

Mr. Magoo... i'm prayin for you little kitty!! *KISSES* for you!!:D

catlover4ever
09-15-2004, 07:42 AM
Lisa the new vet sounds like a dream...keep him. ;)

I'm glad to hear that Magoo's eye is better for now. Kisses to Magoo.

catmandu
09-15-2004, 09:08 AM
The Found Cats,and All The Pet Angels,especially A Tuxedo,called Mr Scrappy,are praying with all thier Hearts,atht thier Dear Friend Scrappy Magoo,will be healthy,and we know that with you,he is Happy!

lizzielou742
09-15-2004, 09:44 AM
I'm glad you found a vet that understands Magoo more. :D I say do the sir-jury! It may eliminate the problem forever, but even if it doesn't, at least you tried, you know? And if it works, it will be a dream come true!!

I love Magoo, he's so cute!!! :D :D :D

Deliver him some scritches from me for being so good at this vet this time. I wish Sophie was good at the vet! :rolleyes:

Ally Cat's Mommy
09-15-2004, 02:06 PM
That vet sounds fantastic! If it's best for Mr Magoo then I'd say have it done as soon as you can fit it in and afford it!

(((HUGS))) to everyone.

PS - you better warn this new vet of yours that he has a FAN CLUB in the making !!

catland
09-15-2004, 04:43 PM
congrats on the good news.:D

Cataholic
09-15-2004, 04:54 PM
That does sound like the plan. Good luck.

Barbara
09-16-2004, 05:06 AM
Nothing to add here: Go for it:)

jazzzytina
09-16-2004, 06:52 AM
We wish Magoo a lot of love and luck too! I'm happy you found a good vet. More kisses to Magoo (and treats too)! :)

Killearn Kitties
09-16-2004, 08:52 AM
This all sounds very encouraging! I'd certainly be inclined to go for the surgery, and even the higher price estimate seems very reasonable.

Magoo has the most adorable fluffy paws. What a cute picture. :D

lisalee
09-16-2004, 08:01 PM
Magoo I wish you all the best and I hope the surgery cures your poor eye and makes you feel better because your one boy who certainly deserves it! Magoo looks beautiful as ever, big hugs to you!:)