PDA

View Full Version : Neutering a sore subject for male dog owners ;-)

QueenScoopalot
09-14-2004, 04:47 PM
http://www.nola.com/living/t-p/index.ssf?/base/living-3/109453473272130.xml

Neutering a sore subject for male dog owners
For many male dog owners, the thought of neutering hits a little too close to home. But the SPCA has a request for men who identify too closely with their pets: Get over it.
Tuesday, September 07, 2004
By Chris Bynum
Staff writer
Jonathan Hirdes and his dog, Rock, have a couple of things in common.

"I don't want to be neutered," said Hirdes, a 20-year-old construction worker whose Staffordshire bull terrier, Rock, remains intact. "People say a dog is the spitting image of his owner. Why would I have his manhood taken away from him? When you see a dog walking down the street without testicles, you just assume the dog is female.

"Neutering your dog is like making him a drag queen."

For Hirdes, Rock and countless other guys and dogs, a simple snip can be a complex issue. But that snip is the sound heard 'round the neighborhood when it comes to preserving the health and well-being of animals and cutting down on the number of homeless dogs and cats roaming the streets.

Louisiana Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Executive Director Laura Maloney has met many men who share Hirdes' views. Changing their mindset, she said, is essential to gaining control of a growing stray animal problem in New Orleans, which contributes its share of the 8 million to 10 million dogs that land in U.S. shelters each year, according to the Humane Society of the United States. Half of those are euthanized because there are no homes for them.

"When I ask men why they don't neuter their dogs, they give many reasons," Maloney said. "But so often, men make a personal association with what it would be like for them to be neutered. They also believe the dog will become more feminine, will lose muscle mass, and . . . well, lose his life force. They also like their animal's personality, and they are afraid it will change."

The fears are unfounded. Neutering, she said, "doesn't change basic dogness."

What it does change, said Dr. Rolan Tripp, a California veterinarian and animal behaviorist, it changes for the better: Neutered male dogs are less likely to engage in fights with other male dogs, less likely to urinate as a way to mark territory, and less likely to escape the yard and roam the neighborhood -- a leading cause of death among canine and feline pets.

In addition to lifestyle improvements, health risks for the animal are lowered, said Dr. Brian Ghere of Prytania Veterinary Hospital and president of Charity Animal Hospital.

"Neutering prevents testicular cancer, and lowers the risk of perianal gland tumors, hernias and prostrate disease," he said.

But the positive reasons for neutering still can't overcome the fact that some men, well, feel their dog's pain. That may be at least partly an outgrowth of man's evolving relationship with dogs, from "most reliable helper" to "best friend."

These days, "Good Morning America" veterinary expert Marty Becker said, "Dogs in households have an emotional role rather than a utilitarian one. Not many of them are herding cattle, retrieving ducks and protecting our stuff. So the aggressive nature isn't in demand like it once was."

Dog owners, both men and women, identify with their pets. And that shared identity, Becker said, can be manifested in an attitude that "real men don't listen to the Dixie Chicks, eat quiche or neuter their dogs."

Becker suspects that a pack mentality also comes into play. "Never ask a guy on a construction site with his co-workers or poker night around his buddies if he has plans to neuter his male dog," he said. "Get him alone, and you might get a different answer."

Becker said he has sat outside veterinarians' offices and watched patients come and go, just to study the private interaction between humans and animals.

"The guy who handed off the small dog to the vet saying it was his wife's dog, and he was just dropping it off, or never said a thing in front of the vet as his dog was pushed and probed, could later be seen talking baby talk to console his precious baby once inside the car," he said.

There are "forces at work much larger than what Bob Jones thinks about neutering his pet," said Tripp, a frequent guest on television's "Animal Planet" and the founder of www.animalbehavior.net, an online consulting service for owners of pets with behavior problems. "There are subconscious, philosophical, psychological and evolutionary reasons behind" male opposition to neutering.

"Males are better at spreading genes than females," Tripp said, and for some men, anything that threatens that is suspect.

Aaron Friedman can relate. Six years ago, the retired businessman adopted a show dog from Illinois -- an Italian greyhound whose stud hopes were dashed when the owners discovered he had a slight imperfection at 14 months old. Since he was no longer "perfect" in breed standards, the owners agreed to put him up for adoption if the new owners vowed to neuter him and forgo pedigree papers.

Friedman headed to the veterinarian to fulfill the promise he made, but when he realized the procedure meant his precious Leonardo's testicles would be removed, Friedman balked.

"I said, 'No, no, no! That's out,' " recalled Friedman, who felt very strongly that eliminating a dog's testicles is "not humane."

"A dog doesn't want to walk around without testicles," he said. "I'm taking his side as well as mine.

"It's a guy thing."

Dr. Amy Grayson of Lakeview Veterinary Hospital, his veterinarian, suggested Neuticles, or faux testicles. A cosmetic replacement for the real thing was all Friedman needed to make him comfortable fulfilling the promise he had made while maintaining his dog's visual "manhood."

Neuticles are not news; they were introduced a decade ago. But the continuing demand for this purely cosmetic canine procedure is evidence of the powerful human emotions that neutering often evokes.

And it's not just men who get attached to their dog's testicles. Grayson recalled a female client who wrestled with putting her French bulldog under the knife.

"But his kiwis are so cute!" she objected.

And then there was the husband and wife who brought in their Shar-Pei to discuss the neutering options. The woman relented only after learning of the Neuticles silicone replacements.

"Oh," she said, "those will be as natural as my breast implants!"

Clearly, Tripp said, humans are projecting their own insecurities onto their canine and feline companions.

"We don't know what (pets) think," he said. "Behavior is the study of what they do. Psychology is what they think. And (a dog) can't tell us what he thinks."

But that doesn't stop dog owners from trying to intuit their dogs' feelings. Friedman, for example, thinks Leonardo has moved on since the surgery.

"I'm not trying to go into his mind, but, yes, he has adjusted. He still does that dog sniffing thing. And once in awhile, when he's frisky, he will still try to hump you."

Friedman said he is content with his decision to neuter. But it's a decision that men will continue to grapple with. The challenge for veterinarians and animal rescuers is conveying the health issues facing the pet population while attending to the emotional issues facing the animal owners.

Ghere tells his male clients, "Emotionally, animals have an instinct to want to go breed. If they are not allowed, they are frustrated. They will act out when they smell a female dog several blocks away. The male dog wants to go out and do what Mother Nature wants him to do. If he can't, he will chew and bark and be miserable. I explain to a male client that while he may think he is being kind if he doesn't neuter his dog, he is really sentencing his dog to a lifelong sentence of being frustrated."

Maloney of the SPCA takes another tack.

"I've explained that dogs do not think about copulation in the same way as humans," she said. "It's an instinctual act (for them), not something they look forward to on Saturday night."

RICHARD
09-14-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
Neutered male dogs are less likely to engage in fights with other male dogs, less likely to urinate as a way to mark territory, and less likely to escape the yard and roam the neighborhood --

OH MY GOD!!!!

A cure for my aggressiveness!!!

:D

QueenScoopalot
09-14-2004, 05:07 PM
RICHARD...I just KNEW you'd respond to this thread! :rolleyes: A friend of ours some years back was horrified when we scheduled a 'snipping' of RB Max's batonga-wongas. :rolleyes: Max was doing territorial indoor marking, and that just wasn't acceptable behaviour. Bill acted like he was having the surgery instead of Max, and stopped even speaking to us for almost a year. Geesh..they weren't HIS!

RICHARD
09-14-2004, 05:21 PM
RICHARD...I just KNEW you'd respond to this thread! :rolleyes: A friend of ours some years back was horrified when we scheduled a 'snipping' of RB Max's batonga-wongas.

Geez,

I am predictable.....:rolleyes:

Batonga -wongas???

Sounds like a Van Halen song.

Bill and I happen to be members of the "Brotherhood of the Batonga Wongas".

----------------------------------
Is that the noise they make when a dog runs????

ROTLPIMP/MSH!

QueenScoopalot
09-14-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
Geez,

I am predictable.....:rolleyes:

Batonga -wongas???

Sounds like a Van Halen song.

Bill and I happen to be members of the "Brotherhood of the Batonga Wongas".

----------------------------------
Is that the noise they make when a dog runs????

ROTLPIMP/MSH!
ROFLMAO right back! Are you working on the lyrics? :confused:

KYS
09-14-2004, 05:46 PM
I found this thread interesting.

I have run into male pet owners who refuse to
neuter their dogs and spay their female dogs,
saying that it's cruel to
take their manhood or womanhood away.

Like the dog would know what is missing. lol

Richard your to funny!

RICHARD
09-14-2004, 05:51 PM
ROFLMAO right back! Are you working on the lyrics? :confused:

Can I have a few days to get the creative juices flowing?
:rolleyes: :eek: ;)

KYS,

I try to put the 'fun' in 'dysfunctional'!

:cool:

dukedogsmom
09-14-2004, 05:56 PM
LMAO! Batonga wongas. Never heard that before. Now to the topic: I can't believe people are this stupid and vain. Those idiots are the cause for the thousands of animals put to death each year.

RICHARD
09-14-2004, 06:24 PM
Went to the vet
Batonga Wongas in tow
Stepped up on the table
But little did I know....

That I'd leave my two friends in a dish near the table-
But getting snipped would make me more stable.

I got the Batonga Wonga blues- and it itches like crazy,
No Batonga Wongas, and I don't feel lazy......

slick
09-14-2004, 06:36 PM
ROFLMAO!!!!!

Stop it Richard........you're driving me "nutz"!!!!:D :D

RICHARD
09-14-2004, 06:44 PM
in this true story....

Woman rips off husband's batonga wongas

A Romanian man had his batonga wongas ripped off by his wife after she accused him of having an affair.

Fifty-year-old Aurica Marinescu from Constanta managed to call an ambulance before he passed out.

Doctors at a local hospital managed to re-attach his batonga wongas after a ten hour operation.

But despite his injuries, Marinescu says he won't press charges against his wife, according to the local daily Libertatea.

He said: "We were at home when we started to fight over a so-called relationship I had with another woman. She got so angry that she grabbed my batonga wongas and ripped it off.

"I wouldn't have said she was a strong woman but

she was furious and she seemed to have superhuman strength in her anger.

The pain was incredible."

The man said his wife was very passionate and added he still loved her,

which was why he did not want to cause her any problems by pressing

charges.

--------------------------------

I guess it does make a difference......I didn't cringe once.....
;) :p

dukedogsmom
09-14-2004, 06:48 PM
Richard, you're killing me! That was so funny(the song, that is) Where do you find all these stories?

RICHARD
09-14-2004, 06:55 PM
Second verse..

No batonga wongas, Ive just settled down,
No batonga wongas, No need to tour town!

Don't feel the need, my space to mark.
Don't want to fight or even bark..

Chorus

Cinder & Smoke
09-14-2004, 07:10 PM

Woman rips off husband's batonga wongas...

... but she was furious and she seemed to have
superhuman strength in her anger.

The man said his wife was very passionate...

:eek:

THAT kinda "Passion" I can do wiffOUT!!

Yee-IPES!!

:rolleyes:

/s/ Phred

RICHARD
09-14-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke

THAT kinda "Passion" I can do wiffOUT!!

Yee-IPES!!

For years we have wanted a strong woman, A woman who can open jars, change tires, lift heavy objects.....

Love is a many splendored thing!!!!

See what we created???;)

Pam
09-14-2004, 07:20 PM
Richard I think you have a red hot hit on your hands with that! LOL! LOL! I am glad I can't hear the tune because I'm afraid it's just the kind of song that would be rolling around in my head all day long! :p :p :p

Cinder & Smoke
09-14-2004, 07:25 PM

For years we have wanted a strong woman,
A woman who can open jars,
change tires,
lift heavy objects.....

Love is a many splendored thing!!!!

See what we created??? ;)

What "WE" created!??

Speak fur yurSELF, Big-Boy!!

ME???

I use a Pipe Wrench on jars...

Take my Flat Tyres to da Service Station...

An ask a Buddie ta help Lift Stuff!!

/s/ Chickin Little :p

QueenScoopalot
09-14-2004, 07:57 PM
RICHARD!!! You have me sitting here like an idiot with tears streaming down my face from laughing so hard! Max was a coon-hound cross with a serious case of separation anxiety, and when he howled the whole neighborhood cringed. So be sure (in his memory) to sing it in a howling tone...I've got the batonga-wonga BLOOOOOOOOooooOOOOOOSSSSSOOOOOSSSS:D

slick
09-14-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by slick
.......you're driving me "nutz"!!!!:D :D
Richard, nutz or nuts....what's the difference???? ;)
Either way, it takes "balls" to write a song that good!! :D

joycenalex
09-14-2004, 08:33 PM
Went to the vet
Batonga Wongas in tow
Stepped up on the table

in reading these lyrics, i keep imagining them to "bad to the bone". gotta be a blues beat....bah doom ba dooom

RICHARD
09-14-2004, 10:01 PM
third verse,

A trip to the vet, "Turn my head and then cough?
won't do you no good-batonga wonga's cut off!"

One thing I do hate, out in this cruel world-
Everyone stares! they think I'm a girl!"

bah doom ba dooom...

CathyBogart
09-14-2004, 10:35 PM
When my uncle took his chocolate labby in to be snipped, he brought a pair of tennis balls and asked the vet to put them in instead "so that he wasn't embarassed around the other dogs". :D :D

The best thing was they my uncle sounds very serious no matter how funny he's trying to be, and he's a big burly guy who LOOKS really intimidating...he left the vet stammering for a few minutes. ^_^

QueenScoopalot
09-15-2004, 06:31 AM
You've got a hit for sure Richard! Now you'll have to compose the music to go along with it...and then play it at the next PTer gathering. Dressed in a dog suit of course! :D

cloverfdx
09-15-2004, 11:02 AM
Richard that is a definate chart topper :D.

You should have seen my Brother baby poor Elvis earlier in the year after the "Big snip" , he was talking to him and telling him everything will be ok. LOL. Elvis is lucky he has alot of feathering on his hind legs so you can not see the missing "Bits" ;).

RICHARD
09-15-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by cloverfdx
Richard that is a definate chart topper :D.

You should have seen my Brother baby poor Elvis earlier in the year after the "Big snip" , he was talking to him and telling him everything will be ok. LOL. Elvis is lucky he has alot of feathering on his hind legs so you can not see the missing "Bits" ;).

Ladies and gentlemen,
Elvis' bits have left the building!:eek:
---------------------------------------------------------------

A little re-write and.....

I've got the batonga-wonga BLOOOOOOOOooooOOOOOOSSSSSOOOOOSSSS
By The Pet Talker Herd

Went to the vet
Batonga Wongas in tow
Stepped up on the table

But them getting snipped would make me more stable.

Chorus
No Batonga Wongas, and I don't feel lazy...

No batonga wongas, I've just settled down,
No batonga wongas, No need to tour town!

Don't feel the need, my space to mark.
Don't want to fight , don't even want to bark..

Chorus

A trip to the vet, "Turn my head and then cough?
Won't do you no good-Got the batonga wonga's cut off!"

One thing I do hate, out in this cruel world-
Everyone stares! they think I'm a girl!"

Chorus......

lizzielou742
09-15-2004, 02:29 PM
Went to the vet
Batonga Wongas in tow
Stepped up on the table

:D :D :D LOL!!!

DJFyrewolf36
09-15-2004, 04:15 PM

I am LMBO over here! Richard you are such a crack up, hey can my band perform that song? Since I'm the lead singer, it should sound REEEEALLY funny lol.

I know theres a procedure for kitties that allow ones bits to remain intact. Remus had this done and well...I don't think he cares really. Less time at the vets though!

cloverfdx
09-16-2004, 10:32 AM
LMBO, i will be waiting to hear this on the radio ;).

Ladies and gentlemen,
Elvis' bits have left the building!

:D.

nibblets
09-24-2004, 02:22 PM
If they are only concerned with being able to see the dogs batonga wongas waggin in the breeze then they could get some Neuticles put in. This is for real...they are prosthetic testicles for dogs. When the dog is 'clipped', the nuticles are put in the sac in place of the junk and they don't shrivel up. They are made of some sort of soft rubbery substance so they are not uncomfortable for the dog and the male owner's macho can stay intact too.

Neuticles (http://www.neuticles.com/index1.html)

RICHARD
09-24-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by nibblets
They are made of some sort of soft rubbery substance so they are not uncomfortable for the dog and the male owner's macho can stay intact too.

Neuticles (http://www.neuticles.com/index1.html)

They are made of silicone and they do have the same type of prosthetics for men who have had surgery for one reason or another!!

http://tcrc.acor.org/implants.html

But,
Would you buy my record??;)

QueenScoopalot
09-24-2004, 03:03 PM
They are made of silicone and they do have the same type of prosthetics for men who have had surgery for one reason or another!!

http://tcrc.acor.org/implants.html

But,
Would you buy my record??;)
Richard...I demand a percentage of all profits from my registered trademark words "Batonga-wongas". :D Kind of like Uncle Sam...the more you make, the more I'll take LOL!:D :eek:

RICHARD
09-24-2004, 03:56 PM
Richard...I demand a percentage of all profits from my registered trademark words "Batonga-wongas". :D Kind of like Uncle Sam...the more you make, the more I'll take LOL!:D :eek:

DONE!!

LOL,
Remember it was recorded under the Pet Talk Herd name!!

moosmom
09-24-2004, 07:19 PM
Jan,

batonga-wongas?????? ROFLMAO!!!!!!

I call them "who-whos".

RICHARD
09-24-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
Jan,

batonga-wongas?????? ROFLMAO!!!!!!

I call them "who-whos".

I see gold.......again.....

WHO WHO.....hmmmmmmm

nibblets
09-25-2004, 11:57 PM
But,
Would you buy my record??;) [/B]

I'll be camping out at BestBuy waiting for the release...OH YEAH!!

cloverfdx
04-30-2005, 11:35 AM
Bumpity... for those that did not see this the first time round ;).

Enjoy.

RICHARD
04-30-2005, 08:32 PM
Look!

It the remastered version!!

With an extra "Dance Mix" version!!!:confused: :D

Suki Wingy
04-30-2005, 11:04 PM
I think those guys need this shirt
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/sukiwingy/PT%20dog%20breeds/realmen.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v643/sukiwingy/PT%20dog%20breeds/whoneedsballs.jpg

IRescue452
05-01-2005, 11:36 AM
There are so many men who bring their dogs to our dog park with botanga-wongas stll attached. Not only is it not something I want to see as the dogs are running aroun playing but it is as much a pain as when someone bring a unspayed female to the park. They want to mark everything, including other people's dogs, and the want to run around sniffing every dog and occasionally picking fights with each other or getting on every dog they see. I'd like to mke a park rule about not bring unneutered dogs. BTW, if women connect with their female dogs they'd get them spayed more often, as I tell my guy friends; you have the kids and I'll sit back and watch.

robinh
05-01-2005, 02:02 PM
I have one unaltered dog. Dick (SO) gave me so much grief about having him neutered that we didn't get it done. Dick kept saying "But honey, they cut them OFF!". Now with his health problems, the vet says he doesn't recommend putting Max under to do the surgery.

RICHARD
05-01-2005, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by robinh
Dick kept saying "But honey, they cut them OFF!".

I know Dick has a particular affinty for his two friends.

Apologies....I do see the world in a totally different way...;) :D

slick
05-01-2005, 02:51 PM
Dick kept saying "But honey, they cut them OFF!".
Tell Dick there's no need to get "testy" about it.... :D ;)

CalliesMom
05-01-2005, 02:54 PM
I sent this article to my brother who refuses to neuter his dog. :( Every time I visit, I mention it as his dog is almost at that age to reach his "manhood." I keep bringing up all the homeless dogs/cats being euthanized each day nationally and it falls on deaf ears. They don't keep very good control of their dogs as the puppy is continuously off his leash and I'm sure will take off one day as he gets the "urge." :eek:

The dog is purebred and my brother would like to breed him for puppies. They aren't even good at taking care necessarily of the animals they have as they are always forgetting to put flea treatment on the oldest dog until she is crawling with fleas. :mad: The oldest dog is four/five (she is such a great dog) and they had never treated her for heartworm and luckily when they took her to the vet she was negative.

This is the same household were I got Shadow and Whisper as my sister-in-law kept putting off spaying her cat. Luckily for me, I got S and W but what would have happened if she couldn't have found people to take the kittens? They also were really, really slow about spaying their oldest dog until my SIL came home and found a male dog over their fence... :eek:

Some people will never get it...

QueenScoopalot
05-01-2005, 04:48 PM
There's the new option of "Neutersol" now widely available. No anesthesia needed, and just two little injections into those little sackaroos, and VOILA' :D
http://www.petsavers.org/articles/Spay_Neuter/Nonsurgical_Sterilization/Neutersol.html

moosmom
05-02-2005, 11:33 AM
:confused:

sackaroos

Jan,

Where DO you come up with these????

RICHARD,

"Hello?? Is this Sony? I'd like to speak to Tommy Mattola please"

Ever consider going to work for Hallmark??? Think of the money you could make creating "Adult" cards!! :p:p

QueenScoopalot
05-02-2005, 03:33 PM
:confused:
Jan,
Where DO you come up with these????

Well they DO have a bounce to them...think Kangaroo...and come to think of it, theirs must really hurt when they jump! :eek: Honestly, I've got no clue how my demented mind functions. :o :p :D :confused:

RICHARD
05-07-2005, 12:56 PM

RICHARD,

"Hello?? Is this Sony? I'd like to speak to Tommy Mattola please"

Ever consider going to work for Hallmark??? Think of the money you could make creating "Adult" cards!! :p:p

"Adult" cards? From the immature mind I possess???

lololol....

Now, THAT would be stealing!!!:D