PDA

View Full Version : is she having kittens?

RottieLover
01-19-2001, 08:13 PM
HEY!!
I have a problem. I have a cat that seems to be pregnet. shes gotten fatter over the past mounth, & lately her nippels are swelling?
is this normal for a cat to do before they give birth?

She's also been drooling ALOT~!
she wont laydown on her belly she'll kinda lay sideways or prop herself up.
She'll sleep with me & sleep sideways on me. She normally will sleep right on top of me, but never sideways.

what do ya'll think?
Is she gonna have kittens?
or should I seek vet help?

Karen
01-19-2001, 09:18 PM
In either case, pregnant or not, you should take her to the vet.

4 feline house
01-20-2001, 01:28 AM
Put the "free kittens" ad in the paper, because they're coming! In fact, if her nipples are swelling, they're coming SOON! It's a little early in the year (kitten season usually begins in early spring) but of course a cat can come into season any time of year. You can probably feel the kittens if you lay your hand flat against her tummy. If you've had her since she was a kitten and haven't spayed her, she WILL get pregnant. In fact, she will get pregnant 1-3 times a year.

But Karen's right, she needs to go to the vet. If she has not been spayed, then chances are pretty slim that she's had any vaccinations. At the very least you will want her to be tested for any infectious diseases that can be passed to the kittens. You won't be able to vaccinate or spay her until the kittens are weaned (6-8 weeks of age) but please have both done as soon as it is possible. If it turns out she's not pregnant, please have her spayed and vaccinated now.

RottieLover
01-22-2001, 08:36 PM
well, she lives on the ranch that I work at, I stay there 4 nights a week (theres an appartment that I stay in) so she's adopted me.
My boss says she's been there for two years & she's never gotten pregnant.
Thru summer she was cuddling up with the "big guy" that turned up from next door.

I can feel little bummps when I lay her on my hand (if that makes sence).
My sisters cat had kitten 2 years ago, but she never drooled.

This cat (I named her darling kity).
Shes been drinking water a lot (she normally begs me for milk & drinks a little water). She's still begging for milk, but shes drinking more water.

I guess I should start laying out paper & plastic bags or something like that, where she sleeps?

Do ya'll think she'll have them in the appartment or find some place else?
she wont leave the appartment unless she has to go to the bathroom, & when she dose she follows me everywhere.
Anyone think I typed enough?
Thanks for all you'r help!!!

After she has them http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif I'm goning to get her spayed & all that good stuff. So don't worry!!!!!

Thanks again ya'll http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Troy
01-22-2001, 11:59 PM
My experience with cats (outdoor cats anyway) is that they will find somewhere to have their kitties. You will probably notice her looking and preparing somewhere. They do love newspaper for builing nests though!

...and I don't think she should be drinking cows milk. It will cause diarrhoea in cats, if she has a good diet she will be able to produce all the milk she needs...

PS. ...you're sounding a bit clucky http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/wink.gif

4 feline house
01-24-2001, 07:20 PM
If she feels safe in the apartment, and has access to it when she's ready to deliver, that's probably where she will go. In fact, if your boss does not have any objection, and you can leave enough food and water and a litter box for her for the three days you are not there, it might be best to go ahead and bring her in and let her start looking for a nesting place. If that's not possible, though, you might want to help her find a dry, safe, quiet place free from drafts and moisture, and help her make a nest by finding her a largish cardboard box and putting newspapers or old but clean towels or blankets in it. She might not use it, but I've had a foster and a stray that were pregnant when they came into my home, and both of them used the nest I made for them. I wathced them so I could see where they were poking around, and put their boxes where they were spending most of their time. They both took to them, in fact they seemed to appreciate my help. The day she's ready to have them, if it occurs when you are at work, you might notice that she seems listless and uncomfortable, you may see that she's not interested in food or even water. She may even get sick to her stomach. This will mean she's going to deliver within a few hours, so if you notice this, and you have tried to make a nest for her, you might encourage her to go ahead and get in it. But she still may do what she wants, when she wants, and where she wants. But she seems to trust you, so it might work, and then you can help assure the kittens (and her) will be out of danger while they are still so helpless, plus if you know where her nest is you will be more able to assist her those first few days after their birth by bringing her food and water (she won't leave the nest, even if it means she goes hungry, for the first few days). Good luck with her, and keep us posted!

RottieLover
01-24-2001, 08:13 PM
Thanks 4 feline house, I go to work tomorrow, so I guess I'm making a nest for her then. she spends 90% of her time on the bed (eeeek).

Troy, what do you mean I seem a bit clucky?

I'm not a chicken. am I?

Troy
01-24-2001, 11:50 PM
RottieLover,

No, I doubt very much you are a chicken, particularly in respect to your psuedonym.

The term "clucky" describes brooding hens - hens sitting on eggs. The term is often used to describe someone who is not a mum-to-be but gets very maternal around those that are!

By the way this term can be applied to men and women... http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

RottieLover
01-26-2001, 07:19 PM
I think you'r right Troy!

I'm having kittens!!
When my sisters cat had kittens they became my boys. & now there my baby boys.
My dog is my baby. & so are my horses.

I'm a mother of many different forms! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif