PDA

View Full Version : No laughing matter..urge Energizer to pull new ad

QueenScoopalot
09-14-2004, 03:57 PM
I'm doing a copy & paste of a email I got regarding a new ad on TV for Energizer batteries. I haven't seen it, as I rarely watch TV, but I can only imagine. It took moments to email the company. ;)

Subject: Tell Energizer to pull their cat-in-the-dryer TV commercial-Permission to cross

Tell Energizer to pull their cat-in-the-dryer TV commercial.
Permission to crosspost. Please crosspost to all cat groups.

Please Call or write today and forward widely:
General Inquiries
Customer Support
Energizer Headquarters
533 Maryville University
St. Louis, MO 63141
Tel: 800-383-7323
or "Contact Us" page --
http://www.energizer.com/contact/default.asp

SUBJECT: Stop Cruelty Action Requested on Energizer Battery ad --

''Mom'' Energizer Battery TV ad currently running that shows children acting
up at home, with one child ATTEMPTING TO PUT A LIVE CAT INTO A CLOTHES DRYER!
Mom quickly rescues the cat. However, this ad WILL be seen by children (as
well as mindless adults), and some children WILL get the idea of trying to put
their pets into appliances.

This ''Mom'' ad can be viewed online at:
http://www.energizer.com/advertising/default.asp

Please advise Energizer of your feelings about this. Use your influence to
have this ad canceled.

It's easy to write. Just click here:

http://www.energizer.com/contact/default.asp
Or cut and paste the address.

rg_girlca
09-14-2004, 04:14 PM
You know Jan, I just saw this commercial the other day and I thought the same thing. "That was very stupid to show a kid attempting to put a cat in the dryer."

I will definitely be putting my two cents in on this.:mad:

RICHARD
09-14-2004, 04:21 PM
DONE!

I also thought running the postal worker delivering the mail in a storm commercial was a little ill timed...:eek:

catnapper
09-14-2004, 04:53 PM
Yes, I saw the commercial the other day and its a bit odd that they showed it. We all know kids try to mimic what they saw on tv, especially commercials. Ask any kid to sing the jingle from any commercial and they will.

confined
09-14-2004, 05:01 PM
consider it done. I passionately hate those stupid commericials where they violate animals somehow. commercials get dumber everyday .

Cinder & Smoke
09-14-2004, 05:12 PM
As Richard says ~

Letter = *DONE*

Shame on the E-Bunny!! :p

/s/ :( Phred

carole
09-14-2004, 05:15 PM
I have sent my email,even though the advert has not screened here yet, maybe seeing someone from across the other side of the world has concerns too ,might help , heres hoping, very thoughtless advertising, not big in the smarts department, who-ever thought that one up.

catcrazylady
09-14-2004, 06:49 PM
I gave them my two cents worth. Hopefully they will pull the ad!

QueenScoopalot
09-14-2004, 07:45 PM
I'm sure just today alone, they've been bombarded with emails and phone calls! I haven't seen the commercial, and hope it's gone before I do. I always hit the mute button on commercials anyway, and most of the time am off doing something till a show's back on. :rolleyes:

trinity
09-15-2004, 06:05 AM
Add me to the Done list...how stupid! Where are their brains?:confused:

catmandu
09-15-2004, 08:57 AM
If this causes one Cat,to be hurt,or killed,I will never buy that product again! Corporate Stupidity,at its worst!

RICHARD
09-15-2004, 11:35 AM
In response to concerns regarding one of Energizer's new spots in which a
mother intervenes on behalf of the family cat to keep him out of harms way:

"Our new spots depict how every day people overcome life's daily

challenges to keep going. In the case of the mother of four young

children, she moves through the house with baby in arms to break up a

food fight, end an art project on the wall, disrupt a gymnastics

display on the couch and rescue the family cat. It is all in a day's

work for a busy mom. Through it all she keeps her cool and keeps

going.

We apologize if we have offended anyone with this spot. We

wanted to show how much of a hero moms can be.

These commercials were filmed in New Zealand and the Humane

Society of New Zealand was invited to be present during the filling.

At no time was the cat mistreated and all proper care was maintained

at all times.
---------------------------------

No cats were hurt, but the seed was planted...

I forgot that the Mom's have that sixth sense, eyes behind their heads and the ability to leap tall buildings in single bound.

talia22
09-15-2004, 11:40 AM
I THOUGHT THE SAME THING WHEN I SAW THAT COMMERICAL..I WAS SO MAD..I WILL DEFINATLY PASS IT ON

catnapper
09-15-2004, 12:40 PM
Ah, I came to post the same response from them... now I'm more annoyed than before! I was not questioning the safety of THAT cat, but the lack of common sense on THIER PART to run an ad depicting such a scene... kids will draw on the wall, tumble on the couoch and toss their food. ALL kids do that. I don't know any kids that attempted to fluff-dry their cat. If they wanted to depict the heoes mom can be, show her doing all those typical things and then show the kid playing in the litter... I know lots of kids that did that!

QueenScoopalot
09-15-2004, 12:47 PM
Yup...same email response to me as well. GRRRR!! Maybe next step is phone calls.

trinity
09-15-2004, 12:48 PM
Richard, you beat me to it as well. I just recieved the same response. Maybe, if enough people complain about it, they will still pull the ad...

Nomilynn
09-16-2004, 09:41 PM
Has the commercial been changed/recalled? I just saw it for the first time. The mom stops a food fight, stops a girl from jumping on the couch, then goes to the dryer. She opens the door and pulls out a basket of (broken) eggs. Then she goes into the kitchen and an orange cat is running in front of her, but it was not in the dryer. Perhaps energizer listened? Does anyone know?

Nomilynn
09-16-2004, 09:42 PM
Also, if you watch the commercial on the site now, it's the one with a basket of eggs.

aly
09-16-2004, 10:20 PM
Awesome Naomi! They must've changed it. When I saw it, there was a cat!

NKBurlington
09-17-2004, 07:46 AM
I know about twenty people who sent letters to Energizer because of this commercial and we all received the same form letter.

Shamefull.

catmandu
09-17-2004, 09:12 AM
I phoned,and a voice,on the other end,said that they would pass my concerns,along1 But I wonder,with the bored,and snotty attitude,of that voice!

QueenScoopalot
09-17-2004, 09:50 AM
I never saw the original one, but it does look like they caved into all the pressure! This has been circulating through numerous cat groups on the net....and has no doubt generated a LOT of emails. YAY...looks like a victory to me! I'd rather see eggs in the dryer that's for sure. :D ;)

Karen
09-17-2004, 10:03 AM
We saw the ad last night for the first time, but they must have shortened it, as there was no "putting cat in the dryer" moment.

Just FYI

Equus217
09-17-2004, 12:48 PM
I was so excited to come tell you all this today...I shoulda known somone would beat me to it!!:rolleyes:

I too haven't seen the kitty in the commercial again....only the basket of eggs!!!

Yippeee!! I hope we can all take a little credit for this...I know a bunch of us called/emailed them. Everyone DOES make a difference!

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p

carole
09-17-2004, 08:24 PM
YIPEE, YAHOO, YIPPE DO DA DAY, this is fantastic news, I wish they had emailed us to tell us they had changed it though, then we could have thanked them.

If this is the case, it just goes to show a little pressure or a lot as the case maybe, does the trick, everyone who emailed them had their part to play in it, so CONGRATULATIONS and pat yourselves on the back, this is indeed worth celebrating, CHEERS Everyone!!!!:) :) :D :D :cool:

flamepony12
09-22-2004, 10:43 PM
yes!! :D they changed it! :D:D