puppyluvs
09-14-2004, 01:16 PM
Does anyone have one ?
Do they work ?
Do they work well w/ stubborn dogs ?
Any advice on these appreciated

DogLover9501
09-14-2004, 01:17 PM
I think your talking about the shock ones?

I have never used one(and wouldnt), but I have heard alot of cases where the shock doesn't bother the dog(s) at all.

Im sure it works for others, but I guess it depends on the dog(s).

dogs_4_me
09-14-2004, 01:18 PM
I've never had one, but my friends dog, George, is managed to get out of the yard but he was to scared to get back in, I personally dont think they are that good of an idea, but i am sure they would work with most dogs!

pitc9
09-14-2004, 01:32 PM
I have heard both good and bad. It's all in the way you train your dog when you get the fence.

Talk to a professional about it, and see what is the correct way to train your dog.

sirrahved
09-14-2004, 01:41 PM
We had one at my parents' house. It was installed for a strong-willed shar-pei and he would figure out how to get around it. He knew what the beeps meant and didn't care.

Gus, on the other hand, was also trained on it. He's a wuss. It hasn't worked in years (and he hasn't worn the collar in years, either) but still won't leave the yard. He's eight, and I don't think it's worked since he was a young pup.

Gus was also shocked ONCE by an electric fence in my grandparents' garden three years ago. He still won't go near the garden!

Glacier
09-14-2004, 02:12 PM
Useless for a husky! We tried one with Muskwa, didn't even slow him down. It did stop him from coming home--once he was done with the squirrel he didn't want to cross the fence again to get back in the yard. The other problem is that they don't keep other animals or people out--your dog could still be hurt by something coming in to the fenced area.

My neighbor who technically owns Daisy has an underground fence for her. It kinda worked until the first snow last winter. Snow insulates it so she got no shock at all. She came over to our place in early October last year. She now spends about 95% of her time at my place.

puppyluvs
09-14-2004, 02:18 PM
Well sometimes I guess we have to do what we have to do to keep our pets safe, # 1 I don't want to see my pets in the street lying under a wheel of a car, #2 I don't want to keep them in the kennel all the time, # 3 there is not enough room in the trailer for all 3 of them especially Harley & Hershey, so what is a person to do ??? There is no money to build a above ground fence and I would not have premission to build on the property anyway, I think and underground pet fence is like tough love...What do you guys think ?

I know the former owners of my Timber who passed on to RB had her trained to the pet fence and they said she did quite well with it...

Give me your idea's for this is just an idea....
Hugs

puppyluvs
09-14-2004, 02:25 PM
Glacier why did I have a feeling you were gonna say that :D
Husky's sure are a stubborn breed...I love a Husky though stubborn or not, It takes a special person willing to love them unconditionally, So if any of you are thinking of getting a Husky be sure you understand this about a Husky :) You gotta love em' no matter what !!!

puppyluvs
09-14-2004, 06:07 PM
Hmmm I just don't know ....

kingrattus
09-14-2004, 09:42 PM
Here is what a dog owner told me about the fence.
He said he had a very hard headed BC. SO he bought the underground fence from the pet store. He tested the collor on himself first to see if it was too painful. he said nope. it just scard the hell out of him.

So he trained his dog & it didn't work too well & then the next year it broke.

He talked to pro. company & they told him the cheap pet store ones do not work in Canada at all. You have to get the THICK wire cables & the ones desined for cold & long term underground use.

He had that installed & it didn't fail ever. but his dog became more hard headed & would quickly run through thte fence. So he bought the most powerful shock collor u can buy.

Once again he tested it on himself & he said it jive u a really good jolt, but it does not hurt at all. So he put it on his dog & he said his dog hasn't gotten through tthe fence in 6 years. He said the dog still tried, but cannot get through.

So store bought ones r poopy & the Pro. ones with THICK wire r good :)

Twisterdog
09-14-2004, 10:33 PM
I have never really heard of them working well. Seems to me, the dogs that are trainable to respect the fence are not usually the dogs that would leave the yard anyway.

The thing I hate about them is that ANY dog, cat, skunk, etc. can still enter your yard. I would NEVER let my dogs out in an open yard, even if they didn't want to get shocked by leaving the yard, knowing that ANYthing could come into the yard at will. Far, far, far too risky in my opinion.

wolf_Q
09-15-2004, 09:08 PM
My friend got one for her german shorthair pointer. It worked for a couple of months...then she decided the shock was worth getting to run. Now she will not respect the boundaries and will go right over it. She has to be on a tie-out now, seems like it was a waste of time and money to me.

puppyluvs
10-05-2004, 09:47 PM
Hmmmmm it seems to be pointless to buy one then :(